Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #81

11mpg? With 450hp and 1250 lb/ft of torque that would be impressive.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I agree about the Emergency Exit Door. I am afraid that window exit WOULD cut it....... cut my leg, cut my back, cut my butt, etc on the way out! That, and that exit window looks REALLY small.......... I am not!!!!

I have heard the "experts" say keep an extra blanket on the foot of your bed to lay across the window ledge to "soften" it. I guess if the coach is on fire, the LAST thing on my mind will be softness!!!

Karen

One point totally off the topic but everyone should open the emergency Windows. We were talking about this and out neighbor owns a Saber. He had never opened it. So we went over with him inside and it would not open. It took a huge amount of force to make it brake loose. It was so stuck that it tore the rubber gasket.
Open them and treat the gasket with 303. Also use your blanket or comforter to put in the window. That will help you get out and help the lower yourself to the ground. Take a second and see how you would go out the window. Feet first head first? Know how you would do it as any hesitation could cost the lives of your spouse or kids. You will not have much time if the Moho is on fire.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #83

And we keep a areosol can of FIRE REPELLENT next to the bed at night. Most people keep it in the kitchen, but you don't really want to have to go looking for it during a fire.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #84

Last two posts = very good advice !! Makes sense to have a plan and go over it from time to time.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #85

I spent two years in Viet Nam, a little scrape on my butt or thighs don't mean squat. I'll get us out!

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #86

We attended a workshop at a FMCA rally with real life exit from the emergency window. It took a very long time for the first woman to get out the window. We had several guys catching her. It was very realistic. Mac was screaming at her to move and hurry. She physically could not get out. She really only fit one way. Once others saw how she got out they got out much faster. The thing is you only have a very short time before the air is not breathable. less than a minute? Could be. I would give it a dry run. Maybe not actually go out the window but I would practice getting halfway out. We also have a 24" wood prop up stick to hold the windows up. We also have a fire extinguisher at both windows.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
I spent two years in Viet Nam, a little scrape on my butt or thighs don't mean squat. I'll get us out!

Paul
Paul thank you for your service .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #88

Quote:

Paul
Thank you for your Service
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I agree about the Emergency Exit Door. I am afraid that window exit WOULD cut it....... cut my leg, cut my back, cut my butt, etc on the way out! That, and that exit window looks REALLY small.......... I am not!!!!
I have heard the "experts" say keep an extra blanket on the foot of your bed to lay across the window ledge to "soften" it. I guess if the coach is on fire, the LAST thing on my mind will be softness!!!

Karen
What we currently do in our Fiver is the blanket trick + we have one of these mounted to the slide wall. Its use is strictly to suppress fire & fight our way to the door (which is all of 5' from the bedroom) and get out.

Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher, ABC, 160CI - - Amazon.com

I agree about the exit door! From the looks of it, the escape window is even higher in the Berkie than in our 5er The thought of breaking bones and perhaps being imobilized due to a fall injury next to a burning bus is NOT a happy thought Worse, in the case of the Berkie, we will be 35-ish feet from the door and the thought of trying to fight our way through a fire is NOT and attractive option!

So I found this on Amazon. I posted questions to current owners if this would work in a Motorhome and several replied that it would (one was a MH owner and thought this was a great idea!) Soooo...until Berkshire comes out with a escape door, we'll be stashing this gadget in the bedroom!

Kidde KL-2S Two-Story Fire Escape Ladder with Anti-Slip Rungs, 13-Foot - Emergency Ladders - Amazon.com
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Bob, I believe they are one in the same. I have seen it called both names, just depends on which forum I read. I am not sure what FL calls it officially.
Thanks Cajun! I sorta thought so myself but like I said...I'm a MH newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Volkswagen technology?
Quote:
New technology? I need to see 11mpg to believe it. Even with Econ mode on and 63 mph the best I've done is 11.7 mpg in Florida.

Paul & Dan,

Perhaps LOL -- It also may be due to the transmission. I do know the XLT has the same tranny as the XL but the Engine has Max torque at 1400RPM, which is lower than the XL & Berkshire.

I guess the definative mileage test will be when we drive it and see for ourselves
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #91

Quote:
The tag wheels passively turn when the coach is turned. In the case of a hard turn the tag wheels will turn rather than scrub.

Thanks for the info Paul!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #92

Quote:

Paul
Welcome Home Battle Buddy!!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Welcome Home Battle Buddy!!

Welcome home!

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #94

Does anyone know if there is an order sheet out for the XLT yet? And if so, where can I find one?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #95

A couple of thoughts from a one time owner of a Berkshire. I'm sure as soon as MHSRV gets their hands on one they'll discount it their normal 25%, more as the model year progresses. I'm not sure I believe 11MPG. I have the 450HP Cummins in an Entegra Anthem and pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5000 lbs) I get between 6.5-7.5 mpg. Granted the Anthem is probably heavier but I don't believe 4 mpg heavier. Time will tell.

Paul , congrats on the new coach. I'll look forward to your thoughts as you enjoy your ownership experience.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
A couple of thoughts from a one time owner of a Berkshire. I'm sure as soon as MHSRV gets their hands on one they'll discount it their normal 25%, more as the model year progresses. I'm not sure I believe 11MPG. I have the 450HP Cummins in an Entegra Anthem and pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5000 lbs) I get between 6.5-7.5 mpg. Granted the Anthem is probably heavier but I don't believe 4 mpg heavier. Time will tell.

Paul , congrats on the new coach. I'll look forward to your thoughts as you enjoy your ownership experience.
Dan,

I am still in the planning stages and see you are a AF-1 owner. That's a prety pricey brake system (versus, say, a Ready Brute Elite). Would really like to hear a *Owner's* review of the AF-1!
Old 11-26-2015, 03:16 AM   #97

Bob

Sent you a PM.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #98
Tinkerer and Putterer

Looking at the weight specs on the Berk XLT it looks to be similar to the Newmar DutchStar. Unfortunately their steerable tag with a 15K towing capacity is having problems with the front axle being overweight. It looks like the rigs are using the same chassis. Newmar loaded up the options including heated marble floors. Hopefully the Berk is not loaded to the same level or there could be a risk of front tire blow outs:

Overweight Front DS Axle-The whole story - iRV2 Forums

I hate to be the debbie downer here but the option packages looked so similar that it started to raise alarm bells. Has anyone had a chance to weigh the corners on their rig with a full tank of gas, water, and people on board to see how close the front axle is to max? If you scan that thread you'll see that 500lbs under on the axle max won't cut it when you go around a cloverleaf or make a quick course correction and load a tire. Can you say BOOM?
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #99

2016 Tag Axle Berk

I've done lots of research on Newmar vs FR motorhomes. I do not believe that the XLT can be compared to the Dutch Star.

The XLT Berk will be more in line with the Newmar Ventana.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Looking at the weight specs on the Berk XLT it looks to be similar to the Newmar DutchStar. Unfortunately their steerable tag with a 15K towing capacity is having problems with the front axle being overweight. It looks like the rigs are using the same chassis. Newmar loaded up the options including heated marble floors. Hopefully the Berk is not loaded to the same level or there could be a risk of front tire blow outs:

Overweight Front DS Axle-The whole story - iRV2 Forums

I hate to be the debbie downer here but the option packages looked so similar that it started to raise alarm bells. Has anyone had a chance to weigh the corners on their rig with a full tank of gas, water, and people on board to see how close the front axle is to max? If you scan that thread you'll see that 500lbs under on the axle max won't cut it when you go around a cloverleaf or make a quick course correction and load a tire. Can you say BOOM?

I have been following the DS issues with weight on the SA. Any rig you buy should be weighed before you buy it.
As for a tire going boom because you are loading the tire in a curve? That is grossly overstating the issue. No one was reported any tire issue with DS or Berkshires. These are not trailer tires.
The DS has many more items that are adding weight. The AquaHot for one.
Let's not jump to conclusions before the first rig is sold. As I said weigh before you buy but these are not death traps.

Tags
axle