Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Bob, the suspension upgrade, to me, is one of the most exciting things about this coach. How do you like it? Night and day handling from the regular Berks?

Rich
X2

FROG Bob give us a "User's Report" -- I imagine you are the first owner of a XLT and since I believe you are at the Louisville show, you can tell us all about how it handles on the highway (and, I assume in the snow )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #162
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Out of curiosity I would be interested to see what their weights are for the axles. There is a huge discussion going on about Newmar having a front axle that is too light for the weight of the rig. I would be interested to see if Forest River may have a similar issue. My guess is that they do not, but it would be interesting to see what the weights are on each axle as it came from the factory as compared to the weight limits.

Ed
Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #163

They did on the 390-rb-40. I'll bet they learned from that!
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #164
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
They did on the 390-rb-40. I'll bet they learned from that!

Mine was one of those that they replaced. All six tires, front axle and front air bags got replaced by Forest River. That really impressed me about the company. It's kind of funny when I hear Tiffin owners brag about Tiffin service and then you see people waiting in Red Bay, AL, for weeks and weeks for service and I just called and made my appointment and drove to Gaffney, SC, and was back home in WNY the next day. Now THAT'S service.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #165

X2 Taxman - while not a Berk story, it is a good demonstration of FR's commitment to the owner:

So, at Goshen this year the techs did confirm that we had some delamination on the ODS wall. Techs asked if we could drop by the factory after the rally. Sorry I'm still a working stiff and need to get back home.

OK, no problem. Call this number when you get home and we will send a driver to pick your unit up, take it to Middlebury, get the wall (and it turns out the roof!) replaced, run it through the PDI facility (and fix the 5 faults the PDI facility found!) then return it to you in Huntsville, AL.

Cost to us? A whopping ZILCH. ZERO. NADA.

ROI for FR: We are Forest River owners For Life! (And in the market to buy a XLT)
Old 12-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
X2 Taxman - while not a Berk story, it is a good demonstration of FR's commitment to the owner:

So, at Goshen this year the techs did confirm that we had some delamination on the ODS wall. Techs asked if we could drop by the factory after the rally. Sorry I'm still a working stiff and need to get back home.

OK, no problem. Call this number when you get home and we will send a driver to pick your unit up, take it to Middlebury, get the wall (and it turns out the roof!) replaced, run it through the PDI facility (and fix the 5 faults the PDI facility found!) then return it to you in Huntsville, AL.

Cost to us? A whopping ZILCH. ZERO. NADA.

ROI for FR: We are Forest River owners For Life! (And in the market to buy a XLT)

X3.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #167
2011 Berkshire 390bh

The service and customer commitment that Forest River has shown is something that really sends me closer to going back to the Berkshire for our next unit. If they come out with a floor plan that works and assuming they don't have a Newmar-esque axle and weight problem, then we will buy again, but it will be a tag this time.

One other little side line that may not have been noticed by many is that our resale values on our units appear to be really solid. Granted the MSRP has gone up considerably since we bought five years ago, but the resale prices seem to be pretty good. I would think that the Forest River commitment to quality has had some effect on that also.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The service and customer commitment that Forest River has shown is something that really sends me closer to going back to the Berkshire for our next unit. If they come out with a floor plan that works and assuming they don't have a Newmar-esque axle and weight problem, then we will buy again, but it will be a tag this time.

One other little side line that may not have been noticed by many is that our resale values on our units appear to be really solid. Granted the MSRP has gone up considerably since we bought five years ago, but the resale prices seem to be pretty good. I would think that the Forest River commitment to quality has had some effect on that also.
X2 - and the Tag Axel is one sweet ride! We were at the facroty last month watching them being made (and were even shown the BH model that was not released until the Louisville show--we were asked to be mum on it and kept our word, but it impressed the hell out of me that the Diesel Division would entrust us to not say anything - they are a GREAT bunch of folks!)

I DO wish that the Diesel Division would take a closer look at the Newmar Ventana (that's the MoHo they are trying to directly compete with). Unfortunately, at present, the Ventana feature set blows the Berk XLT out of the water--something that i dearly hope changes with the mid-year update/upgrades to the XLT floorplan).

My "Top 10" must have updates are:
  1. VIP Smart Wheel!!! (The 18", 4-spoke, 14 function model would be ideal).
  2. Data Closet with conduit to roof and exterior attachments for WiFi & 4G/LTE antennas.
  3. Emergency Exit Door in lieu of the Emergency Exit Window.
  4. Extend the heated tile floor to the bathroom and bedroom.
  5. Tire Pressure/Temperature Monitoring System
  6. Thetford Sani-Con Turbo Macerator system.
  7. Power Rewind Reel for 50AMP cord & Fresh Water Hose.
  8. Separate Infotainment radio with Apple car play/Android Auto (Like the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX)
  9. Keyless Door Entry & Combination locks on all storage/entertainment doors.
  10. Upgrade the HDTV Antenna to a Wineguard Rayzar Automatic
All the above (except #2) are available on the Ventana. Oh, and instead of the Thetfort Sani-Con, the Ventana has Macerating toilets. All at the same MSRP of the Berkshire XLT
Old 12-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #169

Just got some info that there will be a XLT rb model coming out...I believe it will be the C model.

Rich
Old 12-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #170

Quote:
Just got some info that there will be a XLT rb model coming out...I believe it will be the C model.
Rich,

Awesome news! I wonder if it is going to use the RB Floorplan from the Charleston? We have always like that layout (AND the L Sofa!)

Also a RB = Macerator toilet! (Wonder if they will use on on the 1/2 bath amidships?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	430RB.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	95933  
Old 12-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Rich,

Awesome news! I wonder if it is going to use the RB Floorplan from the Charleston? We have always like that layout (AND the L Sofa!)

Also a RB = Macerator toilet! (Wonder if they will use on on the 1/2 bath amidships?)

Bob,
I like that layout as well. Will they use a macerator midcoach? I personally don't see a need since toilet would be close to black tank and replacement/initial cost would be expensive. That being said, I have not used a macerating toilet so I don't know if I feel different if I had. I plan on getting some type of macerator system on mine before next camping season.

Rich

Rich
Old 12-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #172

Move Berkshire price point up to a Charleston msrp. Can't wait to see 2017 Charleston , bound to push 400k. Hope they don't mess with tail end an make it another tiffin or another newmar.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
Move Berkshire price point up to a Charleston msrp. Can't wait to see 2017 Charleston , bound to push 400k. Hope they don't mess with tail end an make it another tiffin or another newmar.
Agreed. I also can't wait to see with the 2017 Charleston.

Rich
Old 12-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #174

Well I own 2015 Charleston,430RB
But I think Mr Bill an myself are only Charleston owners on forum , so hope y'all don't mind the ease drop .
Did FR drop the accuslide , cable guided. On the new Berk.. Hope so, very scary when you see all the pulleys,slides are such an issue just as soon pay whatever for the best ,an have some sort of peace of mind.
2 cents
Motor safe out there
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
Well I own 2015 Charleston,430RB
But I think Mr Bill an myself are only Charleston owners on forum , so hope y'all don't mind the ease drop .
Did FR drop the accuslide , cable guided. On the new Berk.. Hope so, very scary when you see all the pulleys,slides are such an issue just as soon pay whatever for the best ,an have some sort of peace of mind.
2 cents
Motor safe out there

When I looked at the xlt, it looked like a different slide system, but I can't say for sure.
Also, nice having you on board!

Rich
Old 12-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #176

Here is a link to the Newmar Ventana order form for the 4369 bath & a 1/2 floor plan. This would be the floor plan I would buy if I buy a Ventana instead of the XLT.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content.../VTDP43692.pdf

Forest River take some notes on this. If not the floor plan at least the option list.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #177

Now I'm not buying another for a bit. The Berkshire I have is flawless. So I sure not want to gamble on another yet..

But I was thinking if maybe 5 or 6 of you would send a joint letter to FR -stating you would place an order if they would add --this This. An. This.

Maybe if they had 5 new order on the table they might add options !?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Here is a link to the Newmar Ventana order form for the 4369 bath & a 1/2 floor plan. This would be the floor plan I would buy if I buy a Ventana instead of the XLT.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content.../VTDP43692.pdf

Forest River take some notes on this. If not the floor plan at least the option list.

Man, they do offer a lot of options!

Rich
Old 12-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #179

Rich, my fav thing about Newmar is that if you don't like all the things about the floor plan you can change things up a bit. You can select different furniture, add extras like different countertops, flooring, even the outside paint color. You have to keep the model year design but you can choose any color that Newmar has EVER used in past models.

You can truly have a one off coach if you so desire.

Hey FR take a listen.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #180

Quote:
Bob,
I like that layout as well. Will they use a macerator midcoach? I personally don't see a need since toilet would be close to black tank and replacement/initial cost would be expensive. That being said, I have not used a macerating toilet so I don't know if I feel different if I had. I plan on getting some type of macerator system on mine before next camping season.
Rich,

I agree - it will probably be a straight dump to the black tank amidships (a Macerator toilet has a retail of @ $1.3K )

Also agree on the macerator system - we are looking at the Thetford, Sani-Con Turbo [http://thetford.tmsandbox.com/product/sani-con-turbo/]

Tags
axle