Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Man, they do offer a lot of options!

Rich
They sure do! The amazing thing is if you completely load out a Ventana (EVERY option on the order sheet!) the MSRP is almost identical to a much less nicely appointed Berkshire XLT!

Yep, Forest River take note!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
Move Berkshire price point up to a Charleston msrp. Can't wait to see 2017 Charleston , bound to push 400k. Hope they don't mess with tail end an make it another tiffin or another newmar.
From what we were told when we toured the Berkshire Factory (where they also make the Charleston) The plan is to make the Berkshire XLT a direct competitor to the Newmar Ventana and the Charleston a direct competitor to the Newmar Dutch Star,
Old 12-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #183

Rich, my fav thing about Newmar is that if you don't like all the things about the floor plan you can change things up a bit. You can select different furniture, add extras like different countertops, flooring, even the outside paint color. You have to keep the model year design but you can choose any color that Newmar has EVER used in past models.

You can truly have a one off coach if you so desire.

Hey FR take a listen.

Kevin, it would surely be nice to have the customization potential on our coaches as well. It may be a logistical thing for them at this point, but maybe with increased sales of Forest River Diesel Division products, a factory size increase could help to accomplish this.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Rich,

I agree - it will probably be a straight dump to the black tank amidships (a Macerator toilet has a retail of @ $1.3K )

Also agree on the macerator system - we are looking at the Thetford, Sani-Con Turbo [http://thetford.tmsandbox.com/product/sani-con-turbo/]

Bob, I am looking at those to. Just want some other guinea pig (I mean volunteer) to do the install first.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #184

Quote:
Rich, my fav thing about Newmar is that if you don't like all the things about the floor plan you can change things up a bit. You can select different furniture, add extras like different countertops, flooring, even the outside paint color. You have to keep the model year design but you can choose any color that Newmar has EVER used in past models.

You can truly have a one off coach if you so desire.

Hey FR take a listen.

Kevin, it would surely be nice to have the customization potential on our coaches as well. It may be a logistical thing for them at this point, but maybe with increased sales of Forest River Diesel Division products, a factory size increase could help to accomplish this.

Rich

Bob, I am looking at those to. Just want some other guinea pig (I mean volunteer) to do the install first.
I agree

Unfortunately, I just got some bad news in my research on the Macerator:

Bob,
We would not suggest that you use any 2 ply toilet paper other than a toilet paper specifically made for RV toilets specifically because of the fiber content that regular toilet paper contains. Also, the Pump or any of our toilets would not be able to handle any Flushable Wipes.

Thank You,
Consumer Service
Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc

This really sucks - we have used 2-Ply (Charmin) in our RV for years with zero problems (we DO use LOTS of water though)
Old 12-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #185

Bob, I don't remember product names, but we have found some nice, soft, sturdy 2 ply rv tp's over the years. Nothing worse than when the paper falls apart when in action.....

Rich
Old 12-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #186

Quote:
I agree

Bob,
We would not suggest that you use any 2 ply toilet paper other than a toilet paper specifically made for RV toilets specifically because of the fiber content that regular toilet paper contains. Also, the Pump or any of our toilets would not be able to handle any Flushable Wipes.

Thank You,
Consumer Service

This really sucks - we have used 2-Ply (Charmin) in our RV for years with zero problems (we DO use LOTS of water though)

I would not worry about it Bob. As I said before we use a two ply Angel soft tissue and it does go through our Thetford Macerating toilet with no problems. We have used it for 3.5 years now two year full time.
I would imagine the macerator you are wanting to install is a heavier duty unit than on the toilet.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #187

We looked at Newmar last year at the RV show in Tampa and the "change things up" option was much more limited on the "entry level" coaches. Just not as many choices on the less expensive models.
Some of the finishes in the Newmar models were kind of strange. Like a backsplash of this weird wavy material, and no stove cover in the "less expensive" models.
And they advertised "test drives with a free NEWMAR jacket" then when we got there we were told "oh no, you have to go to a dealership to take a test drive and then ONLY if you are a serious buyer". It was kind of insulting.
Tiffin has gotten better about letting you pick and choose options on their coaches, but again, options are limited on less expensive coaches.
And after going through ALL of the RVs we wanted to see at the Tampa Show (we were there for 4 days) it seemed like of all the RVs we looked at, the Forest River models seemed more homey and warm. Even the 1.2 million dollar Newell Coach seemed kind of cold on the inside. (not that we were even looking at that one, but hey it was there, might as well see what it looks like on the inside).
In the end, we are really happy that we decided to go with a Forest River product!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #188

Quote:
I agree

Bob,

Thank You,
Consumer Service

So help me out here. If I am in a full hook up site what advantage is a macerator system ?? As most of you know I rode the short bus to school. So I need a little explanation !! I am in no way being critical just asking ?? Thanks

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I would not worry about it Bob. As I said before we use a two ply Angel soft tissue and it does go through our Thetford Macerating toilet with no problems. We have used it for 3.5 years now two year full time.
I would imagine the macerator you are wanting to install is a heavier duty unit than on the toilet.
Thanks Phil - that is good to hear. I figured it was just Thetford doing a CYA

As for RV toilet paper...like the saying goes:

Last night I got in touch with my inner self

And that's the LAST time I am buying 1-Ply RV Toilet paper!

Old 12-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
So help me out here. If I am in a full hook up site what advantage is a macerator system ?? As most of you know I rode the short bus to school. So I need a little explanation !! I am in no way being critical just asking ?? Thanks

Russell
Russell, here's the reason that I want one. Solid waste (poo and tp) get liquified so you can pump out through a 1" hose as opposed to the usual 3" stinky slinky. Storage is easier. And the advantage that I really want is the ability to dump at home. With a 50' extension hose, I can pump the poop to my inside toilet. This allows me to not have to empty my tanks before we leave for home on our last day of the trip and then we can still use the facilities on our way home.

Macerator toilet is usually used in a RB configuration because of the length of plumbing from toilet to the black tank. Solids won't get stuck in the pipes enroute to the holding tank.

That's all I've got, buddy. If I need corrected, please feel free to chime in, anyone.

Rich
Old 12-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #191

Quote:
Russell,

A few things come to mind:

• Much easier to use that a normal stinky slinky; pull the house out of the manifold box and put it in the dump outlet. Dump Black, Dump Gray, put hos back. Done.
  • It is helpful in that it is not a gravity-fed system; rather it is a pump so you do not need to hassle with a stinky slinky stand.
  • It can dump your tank uphill.
  • It will empty your tank in @ 2 min
  • The sewage hose is half the size (and weight!) of a normal stinky slinky.
  • It is permanently (with clamps) attached to your sewer dump outlet - no more connecting and disconnecting!
  • The Hose is storable between dumps (aesthetic to some)
  • Decidedly more sanitary thank a normal sewage connection.
  • Plus you get to join the cool kids sewer gadget club
Old 12-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #192

Ok. I got it covered now. I have full hook up site at home. I see where running it into house if no sewer dump at home be great. Never was in cool kid club but my guess you let me join this one !! Ha. Thanks.

Russell
Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #193

Quote:
Ok. I got it covered now. I have full hook up site at home. I see where running it into house if no sewer dump at home be great. Never was in cool kid club but my guess you let me join this one !! Ha. Thanks.

Russell
Doesn't get any cooler than here, buddy

Rich
Old 12-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #194

Doing some online shopping I found a few more XLT's out there. Here are a few other color options I found.

Not bad.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449873558.038811.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	96035

I like this one.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449873587.057318.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	96036

Just threw up in my mouth a little.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449873612.394301.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	96037

And my fav so far.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449873649.347358.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	96038
Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #195

Well that red one just a bit over the top. The others look good to me. Fixed income holding me back !'

Russell
Old 12-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #196

For the "toilet paper" discussion portion of this thread: we use the POM brand from SAM's Club. The outer box says it is safe for Marine and RV use. We haven't had any problems with it.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 12-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #197

Quote:
Doesn't get any cooler than here, buddy

Rich

We are still talking about pumping poop right?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
We are still talking about pumping poop right?
Phil, we do everything with attitude

Rich
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #199

Quote:
Russell, here's the reason that I want one. Solid waste (poo and tp) get liquified so you can pump out through a 1" hose as opposed to the usual 3" stinky slinky. Storage is easier. And the advantage that I really want is the ability to dump at home. With a 50' extension hose, I can pump the poop to my inside toilet. This allows me to not have to empty my tanks before we leave for home on our last day of the trip and then we can still use the facilities on our way home.

Macerator toilet is usually used in a RB configuration because of the length of plumbing from toilet to the black tank. Solids won't get stuck in the pipes enroute to the holding tank.

That's all I've got, buddy. If I need corrected, please feel free to chime in, anyone.

Rich
Hi Rich,
I may be wrong here, but I can't see a bunch of happy wives when you guys announce "I am just going run this 50 ft extension hose through the house to the inside toilet to dump the MH tanks".
Closely followed by the words "here honey, hold this hose while I run out to the MH to pull the black tank handle"
You guys better have really understanding wives or really comfortable couches!!!!
On behalf of the wives out there......... PLEASE don't look at the 50 ft hose plan as an asset!!!
Thanks and you guys please stay away from my husband! I don't want y'all giving him any ideas!

Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 12-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Doing some online shopping I found a few more XLT's out there. Here are a few other color options I found.

Not bad.
Attachment 96035

I like this one.
Attachment 96036

Just threw up in my mouth a little.
Attachment 96037

And my fav so far.
Attachment 96038
Hi Campin Cajun,
Do you think the reason you like the color scheme of the coach in the last pic so much is because those happen to be the New Orleans Saint's colors? Just an observation................
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad

Tags
axle