Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #1

2017 F/R 34QS Fiberglass Roof

Greetings, has anyone had issues with cracks showing up on their roofs? Mine has 2 of them about 2" long on the passenger side about 1/3 thirds the way down the side. Also on that same side the fiberglass isn't bonded to the underlayment from end to end for about 8" from the edge. So far my RV dealer hasn't responded, but F/R says to get it to the "dealer" before any more damage is done. We've had this M/H since Christmas 12/24/16 & about a week ago I decided to go on the roof & locate a spot for some solar panels, what a shock to see all of this!
I had another dealer it par for the course with todays m/H's, no one is checking the work going out the door, its all sub standard!
PS: Thats only 0ne of the 30 something items that have been repaired, replaced etc. We're so disapointed with their lack of quality control, or even employees who want a quality product.
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

Issue with fiberglass roofs are not a new thing and it is not just FR. I had the same issue with mine. I would not let a dealer replace the roof. Not sure where you are located but arrange to bring in to Randy Houser at the factory. Im very happy with mine and it has not been a repeat issue. I have a 2011.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

Ya I totally agree about NOT letting any dealer replace a roof. My complaint is it left the factory that way, why would I want to let them mess it up again. Happy about your results! Though I live in Ca & Randy is about 2200 miles away
Dave
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

Our 2015 34QS has no problems with the fibreglass on the roof.

I agree that I wouldn't trust my dealer to do a repair. Forest River builds the roofs in their factory, so they are best at being able to do a repair.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckerburg View Post
Issue with fiberglass roofs are not a new thing and it is not just FR. I had the same issue with mine. I would not let a dealer replace the roof. Not sure where you are located but arrange to bring in to Randy Houser at the factory. Im very happy with mine and it has not been a repeat issue. I have a 2011.
I just figured out who Randy Houser is. he's a tech for Freightliner FCCC, not sure how he could help repair the roof as its a Forest River issue!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Demand they pay for transport back to factory for repair. IMHO
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

I like the way you think, but we would lose at least a month of not using our coach & besides all the other possible issues that could pop up while its in transit. I've already found a local repair place that I've know & done business with for 20 years. They said they would have to tear off all the fiberglass & inspect for water damage & see from there! I want a as new roof, not a patched one. I've not even shown this to my dealer to get the process started as they are too busy!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

2017 F/R 34QS Fiberglass Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1 View Post
I just figured out who Randy Houser is. he's a tech for Freightliner FCCC, not sure how he could help repair the roof as its a Forest River issue!

First off Randy Houser is the man at Forest River. He is the go to guy that can make anything happen. Get to know him. He is one of the best.
Second the cracks may or may not have happened at FR. In my case it was a bad lot of product. Many other manufacturers had the same issue.
Third you have a Motorhome with wheels. Put a temporary ( have the dealer do it) patch on it and plan a trip to the Midwest. There is a lot to do here and lots to see. Talk to Randy and make it a part of your vacation. It will take them 2-3 days to do the repairs. They can do a bunch of other warranty work while you are there.
Whatever you decide get in contact Randy and have a NICE discussion about your issues and how they can be fixed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	151261
Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

Email is the best way to deal with Randy. All emails at FR are first initial last name. @ ForestRiver oc.com.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowles3 View Post
Demand they pay for transport back to factory for repair. IMHO

I'm guessing that if you call and demand something you will get the least amount of help they can give.
Everyone I have met at FR Diesel is more than willing to go the extra mile to get your Moho repaired. Yelling and demanding will get the same result you give when someone is yelling and demanding something from you. I know my screw you mode kicks in.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #11

Demand this

Quote:
I'm guessing that if you call and demand something you will get the least amount of help they can give.
Everyone I have met at FR Diesel is more than willing to go the extra mile to get your Moho repaired. Yelling and demanding will get the same result you give when someone is yelling and demanding something from you. I know my screw you mode kicks in.
I agree z 2. Best way to not get something is to start with the "demand". Rarely works.
It's okto ask but be prapered to give a little to get the prpblrm resolved. Try the "demand" on the wife andsee how it goes. 👍 Good luck.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
First off Randy Houser is the man at Forest River. He is the go to guy that can make anything happen. Get to know him. He is one of the best.
Second the cracks may or may not have happened at FR. In my case it was a bad lot of product. Many other manufacturers had the same issue.
Third you have a Motorhome with wheels. Put a temporary ( have the dealer do it) patch on it and plan a trip to the Midwest. There is a lot to do here and lots to see. Talk to Randy and make it a part of your vacation. It will take them 2-3 days to do the repairs. They can do a bunch of other warranty work while you are there.
Whatever you decide get in contact Randy and have a NICE discussion about your issues and how they can be fixed.
Attachment 151261
You are so right, got my wires crossed. or er wasn't paying attention. Actually i've been dealing with a Randy but Randy Alwine, hes been helpful, but only as far as he's allowed! I'm sure they all limits as to what can say & do!

Tags
roo, roof