Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

2018 Berkshire XL 40 C MODS

Or those with knowledge on the coach, or those seeking information on modding their coach, or any others.

I have a few questions, as I have some time this winter to work on the new coach.

So far I have worked out the following defects/bugs/etc:
Re-screwed bracket for cables/piping behind fireplace as it was moving when slide came in. Screws were too small, and the bracket was originally installed with a too large of a gap to the tile, so the slide closing "pinched" it and contributed to the screws not being able to hold the bracket in place. Not that too big of a deal, but if it moved it could easily get jammed with the slide movement. Bracket on curb side slide looks to be secure, but was using same 1" screws so I will keep an eye on this one.
Re-assigned the leads to the hydraulic pump as the yellow (V4) and orange (V3) lines were switched so the rear right jack was going down when the coach thought it was lowering the rear left.

And the following MODS:
Ran Analog line from front stereo to sound bar
Ran RCA Cable from Sound Bar to new SubWoofer
Installed Camco Extend-A-Stay
Installed Media Server in Basement next to dirt devil
Installed Ubiquiti Airgateway WiFi Router and NanoStation Wifi Antenna
Installed USB 3.0 Hub in entertainment cabinet to connect to Media Server
Installed HDMI from Media Server to HDMI Matrix Switch
Ran 2XHDMI from bedroom entertainment cabinet to bunks
Installed Satellite Radio on Magnadyne M10
Replaced outdoor speakers with 4 inch kickers

I was trying to sort out the following:
How to remove TV in Bedroom and over the front seats. I would like to access the connections, and although the one in the bedroom is possible to access, the one in the front is impossible. I also would change these out for smart tvs in future. Maybe Samsung will start making 4K 32 Inch TVs. I can easily replace the two 40s in the kitchen and outside.

Kitchen slide is drifting. Can't extend curb side slide, due to parking location, so I can't completely bleed air from hydraulic system (assuming that is the cause)

Have following general questions

Can I run generator if RV is plugged into a 110 Source (with either 15/20/30/50 A) ? Does the switch automatically source power from one or either ?
What are the lights in the ceiling in the coach, and how do I change the bulbs in them ? Both readings lights in the bedroom burnt already, and I want to have a supply of lights on hand to replace others as they go.
Is there a hot water line to the washer? I can only see a cold water line in the wet bay manifold system, and it does not look like the sink hot water line is tapped to the washer. It's right on top of the HW heater, so there could be a line there also, Not a big deal as we always was with cold water, but want to be prepared for winterizing in future.

Also Planning the following:
Install Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
Cut larger (or second 4"x4") Hole in wet bay steel plate covering area for sewage hose. I think this is a great option for sewage hose storage, but with only one hole, it's almost impossible to get a 10 foot Rhino Flex hose with end caps into this area. I would like a larger opening, but I think that if I cut a second hole, I can buy another bumper cap to plug it.
Replace/Upgrade LED Fog Lights
Run 2nd Cat 6 line to bedroom from basement compartment for external satellite dish, so I can leave the wineguard stowed when I set up for our seasonal stay.
Replace/Upgrade Headlights
Replace glass on door for entertainment center door, to something decorative but open so there will be airflow. With the 4X4 HDMI Switch, satellite receivers and other electronics, this small space is likely to get very hot.

I would love it if other coach owners added comments on these mods, and/or other suggestions. I can provide details if anyone wants more information on the things I have done, or am planning to do. There is a lack of documentation on these coaches, and I have found the best source of information are these forums, and information shared by other users. So far I have gotten some great insight from Oscarvan and others with same coach as me (Maingler)

If anyone has a drawing of the electrical, plumbing, and or AV I would love to get a copy.

raidernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
BobbyJ

Kitchen Slide drifting. I had the same problem. The problem is with the hydraulic arm, not air. I spoke to Equalizer and they sent a new one that fixed the problem. I returned the core to them via prepaid return shipping to Equalizer. 1 hour labor paid by Equalizer. Call Randy Bowling, 800 846 9659. Randy walked the tech through the repair. I too have a 2018 40C. Regards, BobbyJ State College, PA

Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
BobbyJ

Washer has only cold water. Heated by the washing machine. I replaced my Whirlpool or whatever was in there with Splendide. We had to run a new hot water line.

BobbyJ
Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

Thanks

That's exactly what I meant. Post was up for about an hour, and there's solutions to two of my problems.

THANK YOU

Now, can I probe further, and ask why you changed the washer ??

thanks Again
Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

I'm supposed to be signing the paperwork in two days for a 2018 Berkshire 38A. Thanks for your informative post. One question (at this time), is there useable finished or unfinished space behind the fireplace? Other than the ambience, I still can't figure out why anyone would want a fake fireplace, especially on those nice warm summer days in which most camping is done.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
I'm supposed to be signing the paperwork in two days for a 2018 Berkshire 38A. Thanks for your informative post. One question (at this time), is there useable finished or unfinished space behind the fireplace? Other than the ambience, I still can't figure out why anyone would want a fake fireplace, especially on those nice warm summer days in which most camping is done.

The space is unfinished. The propane furnace for the front is in there. The water lines, propane, coax cable, cat6 cable and electrical lines are there also
Old 01-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #7

I have a Charleston, but a lot of the same features are on my coach...

As far as the A/V goes, sounds like you're adding a lot of great stuff. One thing I'm putting in mine is a Harmony Hub remote control. Since the entire coach's A/V is wired to the switch matrix, it would be handy to be able to control it anywhere in or out of the coach. The Hub connects to WiFi, and then can be controlled from anywhere in WiFi range - with the remote, or your phone/tablet.

My coach had the Magnadyne M4 headunit. It was a POS. Replaced it 4 times in the first 3 years I had the coach. Replaced it with a Pioneer 8200NEX. Also added a 200Watt amp powering a 10" free-air subwoofer. Much better sound! Hopefully, they've made the M10 much better.

Don't know if you have the Bunkhouse version or not... My kids like sleeping in the bunkhouse with the doors covering the bunks shut. But, when they do this there's no airflow into the bunkhouse. Cold in winter, steamy in summer... I added 12V muffin fans pulling air through the wall in an enclosure that has a high-power USB connection, and a reading lamp for each bunk.

I'm also putting in a media server. Looking at adding a wireless Ethernet media box to each bunk TV to give the kids access to the complete movie library on the server.

Even though the kids sleep with the bunkhouse doors shut, their stuff falls off the bunk and hits the floor. Designing a set of curtains that will black out the light coming from their TVs, but also contain their stuff in the bunks.

I drive a lot as the only adult. When I come to an intersection that is not perpendicular, I cannot see traffic coming from the right side of the coach (if that road is vectoring to the rear of the coach). I installed a camera over the entry door pointed perpendicular (well, slightly to the rear). i can pull up the camera when I need to see in that direction.

I also disconnected the cameras from the headunit, and ran them to a dedicated monitor on the dash. I just don't like the automatic switching when using the turn signals. The latency in switching the views when having to make multiple maneuvers quickly was driving me nuts. With the dedicated monitor, I can display just one or all cameras simultaneously. I noticed that the rearview camera has a much wider field of view on the dedicated monitor than it had on the Magnadyne. I can now see almost 180 degrees on that camera.

I added a front-facing camera, and then ran the front, rear, and left and right side-view cameras to a 4-channel DVR under the dash. I now have a 350-degree dash camera that records everything happening around my RV as I drive (and any time I hit the "Radio" dash switch).

Projects for this year include a cell phone booster, and wiring for a HAM radio. I'm also looking at improving the headlights, but also getting much more lighting for backing into a campsite.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #8

Media Server

I will look into the harmony unit. I was planning on eventually upgrading the tvs to smart, so they could access the media server for my MP3 / TV Episodes / Movies. For now I will use 1 connected via the HDMI, and use KODI or the Intel Compute Stick I picked up. For music it is a lot easier, as any phone / tablet with bluetooth can play music on the soundbar, or another bluetooth speaker.

For the media distribution, I installed PLEX. I have an Android box, and with the plex app that connects via wifi to the media server. HDMI out of the Android box to one of the tvs in the bunk. I also can use the HDMI out on the media server via the new lines I ran back from the back bedroom to the bunk TVs. I will either get another Android box, or I can use the DNLA option and connect via an older Western Digital Media Box that I have which uses wifi. Since most of the streaming on kodi isnt working like it used to, I figure I can get an another android box cheap.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
BobbyJ

Why did we change the washer? Good question. The Ariston Splendide products are better appliances than the ones being installed by FR. We asked Forest River to do that for us, but they have a contract with Whirlpool and would not install the Splendide, so we asked our dealer, Motorhomes2Go and they did it for free with the exchange of the stock units. They too were surprised there was no hot water line, but had already agreed to make the switch, and never complained. We were very pleased with Motorhomes2go.

Regards,

BobbyJ
State College, PA
Old 01-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #10

Motorhomes2go is also where we are buying our Berkshire this Friday.

Tags
berkshire