Old 03-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Besides towing your Jeep Wrangler there are several weight considerations. The 340hp Berk has the Allison 2500mh tranny and limits the GCWR to 33,000 lbs. If you look at the Dry Weight on the yellow sticker on the door, you will quickly see that you cannot carry much cargo or passengers. The GCWR, GFWR and the GFWR are very taxed. The 350 or 360hp Berkshire have the Allison 3000MH tranny and higher gross and axle ratings. I would advise you to go with the higher HP for the weight carrying considerations.
I agree. Go with the bigger engine. Better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it. JMHO.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #12

Thanks for the input everyone. I certainly think I would feel better with the 350/Allison 3000 combination!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

since these are bare chassis to begin with, can you not specify your rear gear at time of order? i mean, you can option just about anything else including horsepower (im assuming) so it would stand to reason your gear ratio should have a box to check as well.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #14

We'll maybe, but I'm talking about used coaches. So they come with whatever they come with in them.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
since these are bare chassis to begin with, can you not specify your rear gear at time of order? i mean, you can option just about anything else including horsepower (im assuming) so it would stand to reason your gear ratio should have a box to check as well.
Forest River orders the chassis' and they only come with choice of engines. The transmission is based on the engine ordered and there is no option for rear end gear ratio.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #16

I have the 2011 RB with a 340 hp. I will say that I wish I had the 360 only for the 3000 transmission. That said I pull a Buick Enclave that weighs 5000 lbs. I have around 11000 miles and have no issues. It pulls great and as been said I don't win any races up the hill I'm not last either. I would rather have the extra GCVW that the 3000 allows. Pick the floor plan that works best. You only travel a few days but park for weeks.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #17

Well, thanks to everyone's help here! It looks like we are buying a (new to us!) 2008 Berkshire 390bh with the 350/3000 combo! I'll post pictures once it happens for sure...planning on this week. We're pretty excited! Now we are planning where to go first. :-)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #18
Anacortesians

At 350 hp, would you be able to tell? 10 hp is down in the "white noise". Unless there's a significant difference in the torque/rpm curve, I doubt you'd be able to notice a difference. Bear in mind, I'm a gasser guy and all I know about diesels is from driving city buses at less than 35 mph..

I do know that a lot of the inter-city double-deckers in the UK have 650 cubic inch diesels that have max rpm levels around 2500. Must be torque they value most. It's quite a surprise to be doing the 70 limit on the freeway and be passed by a a big box (14' tall, 8'6" wide and 40' long) doing better than 80 mph. When I was testing motorcycles back there, the turbulence in the slipstream of those things was definitely an issue.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #19

Yes, it's not so much the horsepower bump as it is the step up transmission, which ups the towing and the cargo capacity. (And the aluminum wheels do look nicer than covers!)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #20

I didn't buy my motorhome to win any races but for the floor plan. With everything equal like the floor plan and options then choose the 350.
With the higher ratio rear end it will develop more rear end HP and with the higher torque you will not be bogged down as much.
Now go have some fun.

Tags
towing