Old 02-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

34QS Fulltimers?

I realize this is a very open ended question, but are there any fulltimers out there in a 34QS?
Just wondering about your experiences, any tips/tricks, issues problems (with the 34QS model itself, not fulltiming in general - also, we've got a 2015 34QS, FWIW)?
Any mods that you found to be particularly helpful? Any "waste of time" mods?
Any insight on maintenance costs?
Looking to do a fair bit of boondocking as well, so looking for any input on solar systems . . .
Thanks!

Old 02-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Solar panels

GoneSouth,
I installed two 100W flexible panels on my roof with 3M VHB tape and Sikaflex to seal the edges. I connected them in series to get 34 VDC (theoretically), then ran the wires down the hollow rear cap in my 34QS. I ran them inside some flexible plastic conduit. Then, the wires were guided forward and into the bottom rear of the middle electrical bay. Inside the bay, I installed an MPPT controller. I run the output charge directly to the house batteries and have a Xantrex unit that picks up that charge and charges the chassis batteries (at a lower rate) as well.

The system doesn't deliver 200W, but I haven't fully tested it. When flexible solar panel prices fall more, I'll install 4 more. My MPPT controller will take 50v input, which is 3 panels in series. But, I can run two of the 2-panel series setups in parallel to give a theoretical 600w.

With 600W and some care, I could boondock, but what we have now is only useful for keeping the charge up while in storage. Since I have less capacity, I really need to run the generator to boondock. I just bought a Camco Venturi to direct the exhaust upwards out of the noses (and ears) of adjacent campers.

I participated in a discussion thread at Locations for Installing Solar Panel Wiring and Charge Controller
It has more information and photos of the solar installation.
–Gordon

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...qs-191578.html
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Getting the full amount of water out of your fresh water tank

The overflow pipe is well below the top of the freshwater tank and can siphon water out of a full tank. Search for siphoning in this forum to see the various solutions people have proposed. The basic idea is to run the 1/2" overflow pipe into a larger diameter pipe that breaks the siphon. I ran it up and into a 3/4" pipe and it works fine. When I fill the tank, I run my hose through a ball shutoff valve just before the tank entry. I shut off the ball valve before removing the hose. This prevents the tank inlet from taking air into the tank if I drive on an uneven road while going to my campsite. Without this, the tank can drain when the overflow pipe is below the highest point of the tank.

Also, the fresh water tank has a pickup that is well above the floor of the tank. I installed a curved pipe in the pickup system of my tank so that it pulls water off the floor of the tank. I discuss the modification at:
Installing a Water Pickup to Drain from the Bottom of a Fresh Water Tank

If you do both of these modifications, you'll get another 25% to 30% of useable water tank capacity, which is great for boondockers.

–Gordon
Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
If you do both of these modifications, you'll get another 25% to 30% of useable water tank capacity, which is great for boondockers.

–Gordon
Ahh, very good. Once the electrical issue is worked out (either solar or the recognition that the genny will be used at least periodically), I figured the next limiting factor on the boondocking would be the fresh water supply.
Not sure if you've figured out this part, but when you reference 25% to 30% more useable water tank capacity, are you saying that is over and above the rated capacity of 84 gallons? Or are you saying that the modifications allow you to actually use a much higher percentage of the 84 gallons sitting in the fresh water tank?
Thanks for the insight . . .
Old 02-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

GoneSouth,
The modifications let you use the full amount of the water tank capacity. Without them, the useable capacity is much smaller than the claimed capacity.

–Gordon
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Hello... We have a 38A which is basically the same bus plus a few feet. Look below for the link to my blog. There may be some helpful stuff for you there.

The only reservation I would have full timing in these units is that I would not want to spend a LOT of time in freezing weather. Keeping them warm and frost free is a chore. (It is in most RV's.) They're just not polar expedition vehicles, period.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #7

Problem considered and solved . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_201001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	197245  
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #8

Could you draw a diagram on your set up ? I just can’t comprehend what you’re saying
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #9

34QS Fulltimers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
are there any fulltimers out there in a 34QS?
Just wondering about your experiences, any tips/tricks, issues problems (with the 34QS model itself, not fulltiming in general - also, we've got a 2015 34QS, FWIW)?
Any mods that you found to be particularly helpful? Any "waste of time" mods?
Any insight on maintenance costs?
Looking to do a fair bit of boondocking as well, so looking for any input on solar systems . . .
Thanks!

Are you traveling alone or with companions? That’s probably the most important question. I think the 34qs is a great floor plan and could be full timed under certain circumstances.

Some people wonder if a 35’ coach is too small for boondocking and full timing regularly. Other people might say you NEED a 35’ coach if you’re gonna be in it that regularly (and not a 38, 40, etc). The more you’re in it and using it, the more you may be glad it’s only a 35’ and not longer. Just depends on your needs.

I’ve met many full timers in 40’+ coaches that are looking to downsize and they see my 34qs and love it and want one that size desperately. And others look at it and just laugh and say there’s no way they can full time without their bath and a half 42 footer.

These things are built to be used. Rarely does anyone ever get even 25% usage out of these things before they sell it, trade it, or move on with their life to something else. But like Oscarvan said, stay out of the cold for sure.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #10

You mentioned ‘helpful mods’. I’m not sure in yours what the hot water situation is like, but I can tell you that the Truma tankless water heater that comes on the new ones is awesome. My showers are looonnnnnngg and hot. 20 min shower no problem.

I prefer to be hooked up to water and sewer at a site so you don’t fill up the grey tank too soon, or use your water pump. But regardless ..... the truma unit is worth upgrading to if you don’t have it on yours.