Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

34QS Kitchen Slide

Looks like I might have a slight alignment problem. Mobile guy is on his way. I'll let you know how I make out and what the fix isClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	156656
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

Is that all the way out or part way out? You want the top in first when retracting. I had one friend that the top of the slide would flop out every time they made a corner. Scared the devil out of the family members sitting on the sofa.

Schwinteck slides are supposed to self align if you push them all the way out and then back in. Don't ever stop them in the middle of travel.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

They done realign top to bottom only side to side.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #4

That was part way out. The top track is jumping on the way out. Tried the in/out sequence. There is a difference of three inches from to to bottom only on one end. Gonna be a PIA to fix. Can't get the slide all the way in. Top goes in all the way and when the bottom tries to finish going in it stops. Then the outside frame starts to bend. Ugggh.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #5

It may be a tougher fix. Probably not the controller or motor. How does the gear strip look?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

yes not something simple. we are going to have to take the track and the motor off I think. There is no adjustment that can fix this. its gonna be disassemble time on Tuesday.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

The gear strip is getting chewed up on the top one
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #8

Sounds like it is the schwintek slide. If the top track is chewed up you do have a real problem. Just an FYI the slide has to be out to release the motors so they can be removed so I would recommend not trying to get it in any further. When schwintek works it is great. I have fixed 5 now for friends. When it does not work it is a PIA to work on. Primarily because there is no room left by the body builder to get to things.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Silver... would it be possible to remove the screws out of the top track, pull it, and then reinsert it with the slide properly vertical?
Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Silver... would it be possible to remove the screws out of the top track, pull it, and then reinsert it with the slide properly vertical?
I am not an expert but I do not think so. The way the system works is there are two motors on the top if each side of the slide. These motors are about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and 6 inches long. They are screwed in from the outside behind the slide flap. The motors connect to a shaft with a fixed gear on top and bottom. It appears ether the top rear has broken free of the shaft or a serious side to side alignment caused the gear to slip the track. Might have happened if slide was opened and the coach was way out of level so the slide box got racked but they should be stronger than that.

Just a guess.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I am not an expert but I do not think so. The way the system works is there are two motors on the top if each side of the slide. These motors are about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and 6 inches long. They are screwed in from the outside behind the slide flap. The motors connect to a shaft with a fixed gear on top and bottom. It appears ether the top rear has broken free of the shaft or a serious side to side alignment caused the gear to slip the track. Might have happened if slide was opened and the coach was way out of level so the slide box got racked but they should be stronger than that.

Just a guess.
Fair enough. Do you know how the gears are attached to the shaft? Is there a set screw? I have the same slide, so far it's been behaving. Hope to never have to find out how it is put together, but there's been a lot of problems with them so I'm gathering all info.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #12

The motor is connected via a flat spot on the motor shaft. Main problems with this slide are the wires being pulled out of the motor. soldering iron, several hours, and a lot of cursing normally fixes it.

As for the gears on the long shaft the shaft is round so I would suspect shear pin through I have not taken one out.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
The motor is connected via a flat spot on the motor shaft. Main problems with this slide are the wires being pulled out of the motor. soldering iron, several hours, and a lot of cursing normally fixes it.

As for the gears on the long shaft the shaft is round so I would suspect shear pin through I have not taken one out.
AH! That's what I was hoping for. So it may be possible for OP to undo the set screw (usually comes with the flat spot setup) straighten the thing out and re-tighten the gear/or put in a new shear pin. This can't be that hard, and I bet there's no need to take the slide out.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #14

I just Googled Swintek slide Motor. There are several videos on how the slide motors come out and how to retime the system and manually get the slides in by disengaging both motors. Check it out and sure it will answer many questions and solutions.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #15
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
I just Googled Swintek slide Motor. There are several videos on how the slide motors come out and how to retime the system and manually get the slides in by disengaging both motors. Check it out and sure it will answer many questions and solutions.
Links?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Links?
I Googled as MMnsc indicated as I have a Swintek slide in the bedroom. Per his post, "I just Googled Swintek slide Motor." Try it!!
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
Dragonship Captain

OK......you guys are all just a barrel of laughs.

Lippert University is the key word here.

Once you get this far there's more on the right.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #18

Thanks and I have viewed all of the videos. The side to side is OK, what's happening is the end of the slide with the fridge is dropping when it goes in and out. We are gonna be working on it on Wednesday to close it up. We are going to put something (carpet and a piece of wood) under the fridge end of the slide to keep it up when it comes in. I'll bring it in for service next month.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #19

Please keep us informed as to how the repair goes. Especially for those of us who have a 34qs. Thanks and good luck.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #20
Dragonship Captain

The same slide is installed in the 38A, with the fridge in it.

Tags
slide