Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #1

34QS 'L' Sofa

Recently purchased a 2016 34QS, taking delivery from a dealer out of state. The pre-delivery orientation was thin on a few items but it may have been a case of "I don't know what I don't know".

Specifically, how do you raise the seat cushion from the seat frame and lock in place when the L seat extension has been deployed? I must be missing something simple here but several attempts have failed to find the secret.

Second issue is how to connect a dish receiver. The coach has the dome antenna and in the AV self area there are two coax jacks. One is clearly marked SAT prep so I presume that is the input from the dome. The other jack is less clearly marked but would this be for the output from the receiver to the TV sets.

Following up on the above we purchased a Dish 211Z receiver which has hdmi output jacks. Can these be interfaced to a coax jack, assuming my read on the coax jacks is correct?
MILRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

As to the dish, if you have a tailgater it will not work with spliters in the line. You are correct, the line marked sat prep is for a roof mounted satellite dish. When we use our tailgater we just run the cable thru a window since the cable input in the electrical bay goes thru a spliter, but works well when hooked up to cable provided by a rv park.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

Hi MILRET,
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new RV and Welcome to the Berkshire Family! We have a great group of folks here who are always willing to help.
Your coax read is incorrect. The one labeled SAT goes to the SAT receiver then you need an HDMI cable to the HDMI hub which is in the cabinet where the DVD player is. That sends it out to all the TVs.
As far as the couch: the cushion pulls up, then forward, then back until you hear a click. Since it is new, the mechanism may still be a little stiff.
Good Luck, let us know if we can help with anything else.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Thanks, I'm squared away now on the Dish receiver connection points. The couch seat is another story. I pull it up and forward, resting the bottom frame on the slide out base frame, but pushing it back doesn't result in any 'clicking' engagement. The cushion just retreats back to the stored position.

There is a nylon strap below the back rest on this seat. Does it have any functional use in setting up the seat bottom?

J. D. Bowen
Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

We have the 2016 34QS as well and it came with the L-shaped sofa that we ended up disliking after we got it home. One of the two reasons being how hard it was to open it up. So don't feel bad. We totally understand your frustration with the thing. The second and biggest reason we absolutely disliked the L-shaped sofa was because of the lack of walking room when all the slides were in....only about 3 or 4 inches! But to try to help you with the issue your having with opening it up without it falling back in: We also had a heck of a time getting the L-shaped sofa opened too. It is really hard to tell you in writing how to do it. Easier to show you but will try. Best way to explain it is....As you pull the chair piece out, (holding onto the strap), pull up and out, like in an arc, then when you push it back, push down, (but do not let the back of seat fall back down). Movement is like in a U-Shape. It is NOT easy. Hope this helps. I could never do it. Don always had to pull it out, the sucker is heavy! It was a pain, so for the two reasons mentioned above we ended up buying the straight sofa bed. Loving it. Much nicer and WAY more room for walking through coach when slides in and a TON more room when slides are open. And the straight sofa also allowed us to make use of Both driver and passenger chairs. Able to turn driver chair around now without interference of L-shaped sofa. So much more friendly when entertaining guests too. Love having the dinette and sofa across from each other and able to make use of both passenger and driver chairs. We got two foot stools for the chairs also. Making them so comfortable when watching TV. Good Luck with your sofa. If you end up feeling as frustrated as we did with it, you may want to consider replacing with the straight sofa too. The L-Shaped seemed so cool, but not so cool in this coach I'm sorry to say.
L2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

Really appreciate your comments on the 'L'. I figured that strap had something to do with the setup. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the sofa change out done?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILRET View Post
Really appreciate your comments on the 'L'. I figured that strap had something to do with the setup. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the sofa change out done?

Check out Lambright's Comfort Chair just outside of Shipshewana, IN. We had our POS "L" shape sofa replaced with a pair of recliners. They have all sorts of hand made furniture. They manufacture for Newmar, Bradd and Hall and others.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463598478.340170.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	108251

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILRET View Post
The first thing we did was call Susan Seggerman in sales at FR to tell her our desire to purchase the straight sofa and asked her how to go about doing that. She got with Randy, the parts guy at FR and he worked with a RV Repair and Warranty place close to us. We are in CA so used, J&L RV Repair. (they also handle Forrest River Warranty Work). The owner, Joe and his daughter, Jolene worked with Randy and the manufacturer to ensure that the sofa replacement would be the correct color, fabric, style and size. It took almost 8 weeks to get it. It cost about $2600.00. which covered sofa, freight to send to CA and installation. We had no use for the L-shaped and let J & L keep it. They do a lot of remodels, so I am sure they were able to use it. It was brand new. The whole experience was an expensive lesson to say the least. But our new sofa matches the rest of our furniture and is much more functional. It is not a sofa sleeper. It is more like a fold out like dinette, which I was a little disappointed about. So not very comfortable at all. If we have a guest we will put a inflatable queen mattress on top of it to make it a more comfortable bed. If you decide that you want to purchase the straight sofa, my suggestion is for you to start with a phone call to Susan Seggerman at Forest River Division in sales. You will not be the first to call her regarding the sofa. LOL!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Check out Lambright's Comfort Chair just outside of Shipshewana, IN. We had our POS "L" shape sofa replaced with a pair of recliners. They have all sorts of hand made furniture. They manufacture for Newmar, Bradd and Hall and others.Attachment 108251

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
These are very nice. And look really comfortable. Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

Agree! Susan is AWESOME! She has helped us several times - she is the greatest!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
As to the dish, if you have a tailgater it will not work with spliters in the line. You are correct, the line marked sat prep is for a roof mounted satellite dish. When we use our tailgater we just run the cable thru a window since the cable input in the electrical bay goes thru a spliter, but works well when hooked up to cable provided by a rv park.

Not that it helps the OP but I have a single leg power pass splitter installed in my coach that allows me to use the cable input jack in the power bay for the tailgater input. I also installed a simple line boosting amp ($10) to overcome the signal attenuation and it works great. I also have an A/B switch that allows me to switch from the tailgater to the roof mounted dish. Standard CATV gets routed through the non-power pass side of the splitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Toad: 2002 Jeep Wrangler

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

34QS 'L' Sofa

Totally HATE our j sofa... Are trying to find someplace to replace... So glad I saw this.....
Guess our 7 month old sofa is worthless to try to sell....
But we are trying to find the matching sofa with reclining
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Check out Lambright's Comfort Chair just outside of Shipshewana, IN. We had our POS "L" shape sofa replaced with a pair of recliners. They have all sorts of hand made furniture. They manufacture for Newmar, Bradd and Hall and others.Attachment 108251

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60

Did you drive up there?
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #14

We were up there for warranty work at Diesel Division and ordered them. Spent a month in northern Illinois at our sons house. We drove back there to Elkhart to have the chairs installed and more warranty work.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote