Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

38A full slide cable broken

Anyone have experience replacing one of the cables on their slides. Mine is one of the hydraulic operated slides that have the cable and pull system to keep it symmetric and one of the cables is unraveling from the swage at the outer end, outside when the slide is extended. I have called FR already but can't get an appointment until June 9th to have someone even look at it. I am very capable, but not familiar with the routing and adjustment.
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #2

Check out this video. I have done several. When the cable is still in slide it is not bad. Can get replacement on Amazon.

silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

I have replaced two. Not difficult. Has the cable broken or is it just frayed? New cable can be purchased on eBay for less than $3. If cable is broken but cable is still visible, you can attach new cable to the old and pull it through. If broken and not visible, a little more complicated.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463941900.083190.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	108636Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463941976.620496.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	108637
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

I meant $30.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463942735.494994.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	108638
Old 05-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

As kingwood said, if it is broken, replacing the cable is more difficult because you have to get it in and around all of the pulleys in the slide. I know because I had to replace one on my '08. Hope never to have to do it again. They say that the main reason that the cables break is because they are not aligned correctly and the flexing of the cable when you extend and retract the slide is what causes it to break.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

Hi Ben,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I am not 100% sure, but I think the 38A has a different slide system than the one shown in the video. If you are planning to attempt this repair by yourself maybe you could call FR back and see if they can at least help you to get the right parts before you spend money on parts that may not fit.
The parts guy at FR someone once told me about is: Andy Thompson 574-522-1747
athompson@forestriverinc.com
I don't know if he is the exact person that can help you, but I am sure if he isn't he can help you find the person that can help you.
Good Luck and please keep us posted.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
I have replaced two. Not difficult. Has the cable broken or is it just frayed? New cable can be purchased on eBay for less than $3. If cable is broken but cable is still visible, you can attach new cable to the old and pull it through. If broken and not visible, a little more complicated.Attachment 108636Attachment 108637
Thank you kingwood, mine is just frayed right now so it is still there and accessible. But isn't there an adjustment after new cable is in? And how do you get behind the wood trim on the inside to get to the other end. Does the trim need to be removed?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Hi Ben,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I am not 100% sure, but I think the 38A has a different slide system than the one shown in the video. If you are planning to attempt this repair by yourself maybe you could call FR back and see if they can at least help you to get the right parts before you spend money on parts that may not fit.
The parts guy at FR someone once told me about is: Andy Thompson 574-522-1747
athompson@forestriverinc.com
I don't know if he is the exact person that can help you, but I am sure if he isn't he can help you find the person that can help you.
Good Luck and please keep us posted.
Karen
Yes Karen, ours has the hydraulic actuator, not electric motor and I'm sure the routing is probably also different. I called FR and they will send me the cable but I can't get an appt till 9 June, that's why I'm looking to do it myself...I'll call FR again in the morning to see if they can send me a routing diagram for the cables.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #10

Hey Ben, didn't you have problems with your slides right after you took possession? There may be more going on with those slides.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #11

Ben
As was mentioned, your system may be different than my 2010. My cables are on my wardrobe slide. For mine, I remove the trim to expose the mechanism on the in side. There is a bolt that can be loosened to reduce cable tension. My cable kit came with a sleeve to attach old cable to new and then feed the new cable through the serpentine of pulleys to the mechanism. Once pulled through, I secured the outside end to the bracket. An eye bolt replaces the manufactured cable bolt and the cable is threaded and crimped.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Anyone have experience replacing one of the cables on their slides. Mine is one of the hydraulic operated slides that have the cable and pull system to keep it symmetric and one of the cables is unraveling from the swage at the outer end, outside when the slide is extended. I have called FR already but can't get an appointment until June 9th to have someone even look at it. I am very capable, but not familiar with the routing and adjustment.
I believe you got your 38A about the same time we got ours.In Jan.while in Florida the rear upper cable broke(snapped)on ours and while trying to get home the lower cable broke.Took all the trim off rear of slide to try to find out the run of the cables and how difficult it would be to replace.After locating the replacement kit,tried to put together the tools required,(there is a crimping tool that is needed that is very costly for the one time you are going to use it).Called FR and had them replace and adjust the cables with the help of the slide system manufacture people.The adjustments are very specific to keep the slide square so it does not bindup traveling in or out.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #13

Did you watch the video? Cable routing and replacement techniques are the same for both types of slides. One picture is worth a thousand words.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #14

I got a large cable crimper at Home Depot. I bought it for $28 (cause I like tools) but you could see this crimper had been bought and returned many times
Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

You will also need a tool to cut off the excess. That tool is available at HD also. Instead of buying a crimping tool, I bought a couple of small wire cable clamps. Worked just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/3230BC-Zinc-Pl...4011574&sr=1-6

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #16

If you check in your area you can buy aircraft wing cable much stronger same size.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #17

Thanks everyone. FR is sending me repair kits, so I'll have a spare for future need. I went to Home Depot and the crimping tool was for 3/16 dia not 5/32. I will wait till I get the parts and see if it fits the jaw. I figured out how to remove the wood trim inside so I'm good to go there.

Phil, I was looking at using the same clamps you mentioned, but I was thinking there might be a clearance problem with those?

Selkirk, it is not the cable itself failing, it is coming out of the swage, due to the alignment of the bracket and then it puts an adverse load at the atach point.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #18

Check Tractor Supply for a sledging tool.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Hey Ben, didn't you have problems with your slides right after you took possession? There may be more going on with those slides.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Yes Paulie, they had to install plates on the bottom of the slide at every roller location because they were sinking into the material. This raised the slide about 3/16 and if the brackets were already not aligned well to begin with, they could have been off even more. I spoke to engineer at Norco Industries and she said that is the biggest reason the cables fail. Then we had the time the pulley bracket ripped out of the wall and who knows how that may have changed the alignment when that got fixed. The cables have a 2000lb load rating and with the 38A hybrid design where the hydraulic acuator moves the slide and not the cables, I have to determine there is misalignment.

Tags
slide