Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

38A Self-closing drawer adjustment?

The self-closing kitchen drawers come open too easily when driving. We've reduced the weight in the drawers to no avail. There are many posts on the this subject of drawer & cabinets but none seem to deal with the self-closing type. I hate the idea of adding latch/lock devices. Is there an adjustment in the slide mechanism? Have others had this problem?
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

It is a common problem on the new coaches with self closing drawers. Problem is they are self opening also. On my 2018 XLT I had to resort to putting in the same latches they use on the dresser in the bedroom. FR is aware of the issue but I have not heard of any fixes coming.
We had a drawer open while driving and a steak knife jumped out. Not happy with that and why I resorted to putting on latches.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #3

I had to change my closing mechanism lock out so it was much tighter and that stopped it. In beginning I tried adhesive tape and that worked short term but wore out until I got a better lock
Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

I have one that opens to easy and two that almost take your fingers off as they close and are real hard to open.
cobra350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

I wonder if it is an adjustment issue? We have our drawers loaded and do not have these problems. Wonder what is going on at the factory?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

I had same problem with several of my kitchen drawers on my 2015 XL. When I took it to dealer to have it checked out, they indicated that Forest River had discontinued the type of mechanism that I had on my coach (probably because they have problems). The dealer ended up installing a different type of drawer slide mechanisms. Not sure which kind, but they got them from Forest River as this was covered under warranty. I haven't had any problems since the new ones were installed.
RV4J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4J View Post
I had same problem with several of my kitchen drawers on my 2015 XL. When I took it to dealer to have it checked out, they indicated that Forest River had discontinued the type of mechanism that I had on my coach (probably because they have problems). The dealer ended up installing a different type of drawer slide mechanisms. Not sure which kind, but they got them from Forest River as this was covered under warranty. I haven't had any problems since the new ones were installed.
Thanks for the info. How recent was the replacement made?
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #8

I had them replaced in January of this year (2017)
RV4J is offline   Reply With Quote