Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

38A tankless water heater

No hot water. When water heater is turn on I get a ignite fault then lockout. New motorhome. Purged gas lines, city water hookup, can hear spark firing, turn on hot water for a demand but no fire. What am I doing wrong.

Doug Lay
Berkshire 38A
parduelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Might be a silly answer, but is the water manifold system valves turned on?
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Do you have the Atwood or Girard?

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

Atwood tankless water heater.
I'm a newbie, what is the water manifold system valves?
parduelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

On the drivers side where you hook up water supply. The is a red bank and a blue bank of valves. They supply the faucets inside. I don't think that is the problem.

2015 XL 40QL
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Take the heater door off.... On top left inside there's a little tiny red looking button, press that. If you click a very tiny 'click' then you're all set.

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

What Nathan said it a good one to check. The button is more of a black post with a red dot on the end. Make sure you have good gas flow. Make sure the valve in the WH is on.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Turn water heater switch off and back on to reset as the heater will stop after three attempts. When you demand hot water make sure the valve is full open as it doesn't work well with it partially open. Went through this same issue on a new Berkshire in the shower. Also make sure the screen filter on the spouts are clean
admorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

Hi parduelay! Welcome to the Berk family! We also have a 38A.
Our water heater did the same thing last week while we were boon-docking. It may or may not have had anything to do with it, but.... while spraying hair spray in the half bath the CO2 sensor alarm went off. Then we had no hot water. Rick had to go outside and take the water heater door off and press the reset button in the upper left corner. It worked ok after that. (it might be some kind of built in safety trigger shut down).
Good luck and keep up posted,
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #10

The CO2 sensor should turn off the LP and to my knowledge has nothing to do with the reset on the water heater. I would guess that in the time it took to open the water heater door and hit the reset the sensor cleared and LP was restored. Someone feel free to correct me. I'm not aware of any reset on the sensor other than the silence button which I guess would be a reset.
Thinking this through as I type is the reset on the water heater sensitive to LP supply being interrupted? So if the CO sensor turns off the LP do you need to push the reset button on the water heater to restore LP to the heater?

Old 03-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
The CO2 sensor should turn off the LP and to my knowledge has nothing to do with the reset on the water heater. I would guess that in the time it took to open the water heater door and hit the reset the sensor cleared and LP was restored. Someone feel free to correct me. I'm not aware of any reset on the sensor other than the silence button which I guess would be a reset.
Thinking this through as I type is the reset on the water heater sensitive to LP supply being interrupted? So if the CO sensor turns off the LP do you need to push the reset button on the water heater to restore LP to the heater?
Phil to the best of my knowledge the limit is only high temperature but if flow was not high enough it could have tripped it and like you said the LP issue was unrelated to WH.

Wayne
Old 03-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #12

Also, something I found last year was the little black tube that sticks through the cover of the WH take it off and make sure it is not plugged. If it is WH will not light.

Wayne
Old 03-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Also, something I found last year was the little black tube that sticks through the cover of the WH take it off and make sure it is not plugged. If it is WH will not light.

Wayne

I had mine fail to light after a heavy rain. The water filled that tube and "plugged " it. Odd chance it happened one time. I really like this Atwood WH.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #14

38A tankless water heater

I have a 2016 Berkshire 38A, love it!! Was traveling to Florida with my family and the dog and the CO2 detector went off twice, not sure why but because i had the dog, who freeked out, i disabled the CO2 detector. Without knowing that disabled the propane so no hot water, no stove top. Had to re connect than open outside panel and hit small reset button. Im posting this because this forum is how i figured out the problem. I read where a person's CO2 detector went off from hairspray and they had to re set the water tank.
Hope this helps someone.
smorcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #15

smorcos,
Congrats on your new Berkshire and welcome to the Forums!! Hope you have many fun, memorable and trouble free trips with it!
This is what this forum is all about. Helping each other solve any issues that may arise and sharing the solution with others so that it will help them should they encounter the same problem.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats on new coach, smorcos! Certain cleaning products and Lysol disinfectant spray will also set off CO detector.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #17

CO2

I agree that the CO2 sensor does not turn off the tankless water heater but it does disable the LP. Prior to reconnecting the CO2 sensor the water heater was turning on but There was no pilot light and therefore no hot water.
smorcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #18

Hi smorcos,
We have a 2016 38A too! It is really a well made, sturdy coach. We love it! Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly folks around here always willing to help.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #19

After having to reset my Atwood WH a number of times I believe due to low temperatures. Its exposed to the cold weather, and when it drops to below 32 degrees, it will light to prevent from freezing, but with no water flowing. Thus, causing it to trip and need to be reset. (Me thinks)

Anyway, I'm thinking of drilling a hole right over that darn reset switch, so I don't have to remove the cover to push the reset.

Now I will also tell you that since I am not camping in freezing weather, it has not happened any more. But still...

Also, on a side note, after owning the MOHO for 3 days, one of the small pin's at the bottom of that Atwood door fell out, the dealer fixed that one, while looking a the reset issue, then the other one fell out at my next camp site 500 miles away. I came up with a fix, but REALLY!!

Even with these few issues, I'm still LOVING my BERK.
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb920 View Post
After having to reset my Atwood WH a number of times I believe due to low temperatures. Its exposed to the cold weather, and when it drops to below 32 degrees, it will light to prevent from freezing, but with no water flowing. Thus, causing it to trip and need to be reset. (Me thinks)

Anyway, I'm thinking of drilling a hole right over that darn reset switch, so I don't have to remove the cover to push the reset.

Now I will also tell you that since I am not camping in freezing weather, it has not happened any more. But still...

Also, on a side note, after owning the MOHO for 3 days, one of the small pin's at the bottom of that Atwood door fell out, the dealer fixed that one, while looking a the reset issue, then the other one fell out at my next camp site 500 miles away. I came up with a fix, but REALLY!!

Even with these few issues, I'm still LOVING my BERK.

Contact Mitch Wirt at FR. I've heard that the Atwood reset issue may require the unit to be replaced.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater