Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

3rd tv input selector

what does your 3rd tv input selector control?

my 1st tv is the main mid ship mounted screen.

the 2nd tv is the bedroom tv.

the 3rd tv is FOR SURE NOT the outside unit.

the outside unit has it's own antennae which is not the HD boosted like the and rest of the coach. it's RCA jacks are connected to the jensen car stereo unit under it. no interaction with any of the other systems inside the coach. this is strictly by itself...

i did find rca jacks in the middle front cabinet above the driver's seat (the old place where tv's were mounted). perhaps the 3rd selector controls that?

i'm interested in a way to re-wire for HDMI cabling and upgrading to an HDMI selector... we'll investigate further to see how the current RCA cables are ran/tied off and see if i can use them as pulling cords to snake the new HDMI cables through...

also, can you get surround sound to work through the HDTV antennae source? or is this only when you play a DVD?
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
what does your 3rd tv input selector control?

my 1st tv is the main mid ship mounted screen.

the 2nd tv is the bedroom tv.

the 3rd tv is FOR SURE NOT the outside unit.

the outside unit has it's own antennae which is not the HD boosted like the and rest of the coach. it's RCA jacks are connected to the jensen car stereo unit under it. no interaction with any of the other systems inside the coach. this is strictly by itself...

i did find rca jacks in the middle front cabinet above the driver's seat (the old place where tv's were mounted). perhaps the 3rd selector controls that?

i'm interested in a way to re-wire for HDMI cabling and upgrading to an HDMI selector... we'll investigate further to see how the current RCA cables are ran/tied off and see if i can use them as pulling cords to snake the new HDMI cables through...

also, can you get surround sound to work through the HDTV antennae source? or is this only when you play a DVD?
I've been waiting for 6 months for FR to provide me a wiring diagram of the COAX and other cables for the entertainment system.

I pitched the selector box as well as the DVR Player/Surround sound system and put in my own. This allows me to control everything with a single remote and no need to get up from the sofa to push buttons on the selector box

I can flip between OTA Antenna, DishNetwork, BlueRay player and a Western Digital media player all from the single remote. The only thing I don't have working on it is the bedroom TV. Still working on that.

I was aghast at the fact that FR used the OLDEST video/audio standard out there (composite video) for cabling purposes, when HDMI has been popular for at least 5 years. At least the could have used component, no?? Most all new electronics these days don't even have composite anymore.

Like you, I used the old composite wires to pull HDMI's.

IF anyone has succeeded in getting that diagram from FR please post it. Even knowing where the roof-end of the "satellite prepped" would be wonderful.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

The third TV would be the cockpit TV.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I've been waiting for 6 months for FR to provide me a wiring diagram of the COAX and other cables for the entertainment system.

I pitched the selector box as well as the DVR Player/Surround sound system and put in my own. This allows me to control everything with a single remote and no need to get up from the sofa to push buttons on the selector box

I can flip between OTA Antenna, DishNetwork, BlueRay player and a Western Digital media player all from the single remote. The only thing I don't have working on it is the bedroom TV. Still working on that.

I was aghast at the fact that FR used the OLDEST video/audio standard out there (composite video) for cabling purposes, when HDMI has been popular for at least 5 years. At least the could have used component, no?? Most all new electronics these days don't even have composite anymore.

Like you, I used the old composite wires to pull HDMI's.

IF anyone has succeeded in getting that diagram from FR please post it. Even knowing where the roof-end of the "satellite prepped" would be wonderful.

Boowho??
thanks boowho. that's the plan. i do want a hdmi 3x4 or 4x4 source selector. i need to find the limits of hdmi cabling and will then plan for this upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
The third TV would be the cockpit TV.
thanks campin cajun. that's what i thought. useless where it's ran now....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
thanks boowho. that's the plan. i do want a hdmi 3x4 or 4x4 source selector. i need to find the limits of hdmi cabling and will then plan for this upgrade.
I bought a cheap RCA surround sound system at Walmart, about $150 if I remember. Even though a low end unit, the sub-woofer will rattle the whole d*** coach if I crank it up.

It has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. That's what I used to replace my source selector. It's great for a single TV.

Still working on how to configure for a second TV. But that's not high on my priority list at the moment. Probably just going to run a coax from the Dish receiver directly to the rear TV and that's it.

Never watch OTA TV or movies in bed anyhow; just Dish Network. Nor do I have an outdoor entertainment center.

For the actual remote I use a Phillips Pronto. However, those are pretty much becoming obsolete; there are good android apps that run on a tablet (or even a smartphone) and provide the same functionality as the Pronto.

Many of the newest TV's, Blueray players, etc are able to accept remote commands through a WIFI interface in addition to the "old fashioned" infrared. My guess is that in a few years, infrared controls will only be seen in museums.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Think the 3rd would be if you had gotton the optional outside entertainment center. Ours did have a coax cable outlet in the first left hand bay and ac outlet witch we installed a flat screen TV in. Works great if using antenna, cable or satellite dish with the exception that you have to change channels for the dish inside.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Think the 3rd would be if you had gotton the optional outside entertainment center. Ours did have a coax cable outlet in the first left hand bay and ac outlet witch we installed a flat screen TV in. Works great if using antenna, cable or satellite dish with the exception that you have to change channels for the dish inside.
no, i have the outside tv. the 3rd selector is not hooked up to it at all... as i said in the first post, the outside tv is only hooked up to the jensen car radio/dvd player underneath it. i did have to reconnect the tv's rca audio output to the radio so we can hear through the car speakers mounted right there.

i'm finding more and more things just not done properly by the factory.. some simple things, some not so simple.. just not the craftsmanship i expect for this price tag... and to say that this is a low end/mid level coach and that's normal craftsmanship is unacceptable in my book. competent craftsmen would not make these kind of mistakes...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I bought a cheap RCA surround sound system at Walmart, about $150 if I remember. Even though a low end unit, the sub-woofer will rattle the whole d*** coach if I crank it up.

It has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. That's what I used to replace my source selector. It's great for a single TV.

Still working on how to configure for a second TV. But that's not high on my priority list at the moment. Probably just going to run a coax from the Dish receiver directly to the rear TV and that's it.

Never watch OTA TV or movies in bed anyhow; just Dish Network. Nor do I have an outdoor entertainment center.

For the actual remote I use a Phillips Pronto. However, those are pretty much becoming obsolete; there are good android apps that run on a tablet (or even a smartphone) and provide the same functionality as the Pronto.

Many of the newest TV's, Blueray players, etc are able to accept remote commands through a WIFI interface in addition to the "old fashioned" infrared. My guess is that in a few years, infrared controls will only be seen in museums.

Boowho??
google hdmi source selector. they have many 3-4 input and 2-3 output selectors.

however, if you want to use the remote, you will need to also run the infrared pickup lead as well. otherwise you control everything from the midship area and go into the room you want to watch and just sit...

if you need to have remote control abilities with your sat tv in the bedroom, then the best bet is to run coax to it so you have a dedicated set top box to control with the remote in that room.

i just cancelled all my cable and sat tv subscriptions. this is a vacation vehicle for us, not our primary home so i try to make my family spend more time outdoors when we go camping instead of staying indoors and relying on electronics. hell, i don't let them start a fire with a match... i make them do wood prep, make their own kindling, and use a firesteel.. even my youngest at 7 years old knows how to make a substainable fire by herself where most adults need gas/camping fuel, match and/or paper to light a fire... too much tv makes them incapable of basic survival skills so this is a very low priority for it.. just an annoyance it isn't done right...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
Berkshire 390QS

Got me wondering, mine has cables out the selector in the 3rd switch but never bothered to trace them to as where they go. Might be a project for tomorrow. The quality of workmanship could be much better along with the dealers service department. Many things when we purchased new should have been fixed at factory or dealership before it was offered for sale in the first place. If the auto industries were like the rv manfactures we all would be riding bikes around. Just my 2¢ worth.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Got me wondering, mine has cables out the selector in the 3rd switch but never bothered to trace them to as where they go. Might be a project for tomorrow. The quality of workmanship could be much better along with the dealers service department. Many things when we purchased new should have been fixed at factory or dealership before it was offered for sale in the first place. If the auto industries were like the rv manfactures we all would be riding bikes around. Just my 2¢ worth.
go look in the middle cabinet up front in the cockpit.. mine has the rca connectors there for a tv... also some wierd power plug (looks to be 12v). that is where mine is but i have not verified signal gets to that place...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Berkshire 390QS

Think the 12 volt adapter povides power to the switch. If your is the same as mine, we have a AVS100HD video switcher and can not see the plugs but did find a product information sheet on line that shows them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-05-06-12-00-51.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	29753

Their web site is riverparkinc.com
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Think the 12 volt adapter povides power to the switch. If your is the same as mine, we have a AVS100HD video switcher and can not see the plugs but did find a product information sheet on line that shows them.

Attachment 29753

Their web site is riverparkinc.com
so they have a second switch in the cockpit center panel? the cockpit tv option is where that wierd 12v adapter is...

i have that same switch under my midship tv next to the dvd player.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #13

here is a possible 4x4 hdmi switch i was thinking about:

monoprice 4X4 True Matrix HDMI® Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0)

For only $145.80 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X4 True Matrix HDMI® Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0)

4 devices in (blueray, sat tv, gaming station, etc) and 4 tv output. can send any signal in any direction you want. it has another remote to deal with tho lol

and then run the appropriate length hdmi cable to the tv's. i'll need to go measure the runs. monoprice now has ultra thin cables that would work beautifully for pulling through the coach.

still in my planning stage so i'm not sure if i want to run the 4th tv output to the central cockpit or not. i doubt i will ever use that location for a tv.

quickly pricing this out without truly measuring anything, i come to $315 with shipping and tax.
1 - 4x4 hdmi powered switch
1 - 6ft hdmi high speed cable to mid ship tv
4 - 3 ft hdmi high speed cable from devices to switch inputs
2 - 30 ft redmere slim high speed htmi cables to bedroom and outside tv.

cockpit tv i can pull later if i ever do anything there.. about another $40 and time to do it...