Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #1

7 Pin Connection Fail

Up until this weekend, everything on my harness from the MOHO to the Jeep has been working fine. This weekend, no directional's or brake lights on the Jeep. I took the BlueOx harness home and it checks out. I'm going to work on checking the MOHO harness and connections next. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? (2018 34QS). Thanks,

Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Up until this weekend, everything on my harness from the MOHO to the Jeep has been working fine. This weekend, no directional's or brake lights on the Jeep. I took the BlueOx harness home and it checks out. I'm going to work on checking the MOHO harness and connections next. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? (2018 34QS). Thanks,
I would start at the tail of the MH. If that's ok go to the Toad fuse box. Directional and breaks are the same circuit. 1 fuse. Well, they used to be

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
llr

How is the harness wired to the taillights? Neither of mine went through the toad fuse box.

I assume taillights are ok since you didn't mention them.

I would start measuring voltage on the back of the coach, if good then the end that plugs to the Jeep. If not good the the coach fuse panel.

Do the brake and turn signal lights on the coach work? and
Old 01-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #4

The Toad lights all work and the MOHO lights do too. It may be a fuse on the MOHO end. I will take some readings at the 7 Pin on the motorhome and see what I get.
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I would also suspect a fuse for the trailer wiring.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

Had the same thing happen and my son discovered the connector pin hadn't been pushed into the receiver all the way. It sure seemed like it when I tried it, but it wasn't until we began troubleshooting that we found it. So, I trust that it is as simple as that for you.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #7

pick up a can of this to protect the electrical connecting surfaces in the plugs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deoxit01.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	195625  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Director, FROG

When Cindy and I had that issue, we turned the cable between the MH and the car around. There is absolutely no reason that I know of that it should make a difference, but it did. The contact grease/spray might also help.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
The Toad lights all work and the MOHO lights do too. It may be a fuse on the MOHO end. I will take some readings at the 7 Pin on the motorhome and see what I get.
If you start looking for fuses on the MOHO end, note that the coach fuses are independent of the 7-pin harness fuses. That is the way newer vehicles are wired and it was done as a safety issue. Seeing that neither side of the toad brake/turn lights are functional, your looking at a common cause-which would be a fuse. If one side or the other was working on the toad, it would be a wiring issue or a bulb. Also, on an outside chance, it may be possible that the bulb filaments are bad or the bulb sockets are corroded.

Have you used something like the Blue Ox wiring harness to the toad rear lights to segregate it from the Jeep, or is it wired to the OEM jeep wiring?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Our glitch was the bottom taillight on the passenger side wasn’t tight in its socket. Sometimes it’d work, sometimes do what your is, and sometimes when turning the right turn signal on it would wig-wag the jeep taillights (but not the coach). About drove me silly trying to figure it out as everything else checked out fine with a meter. Last time it did it i slapped the taillight (this time the bottom bulb didn’t light as we did our pre-move check. It all started working. I managed to slip my arm behind the rubber flap between the radiator and rear wall and managed to find the loose part. As best as i could
I refitted the bulb and the fitting into the tail assembly. It’s worked ever since, knock on wood.