Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #21
Just Love to Camp

We have gone from two to three AC units and over the 4th in 100+ weather we dumped each one of them. Was able to get the camper down to 74 in full sun in the main cabin.

The thing about freezing. We have been told and also found that if you keep the fans on High no matter what the temp and keep clean filters our AC doesn't freeze up. EVER!!! This was tested over 4 years in our old camper.

PS Running 2 13.5 and one 15 on a 43ft camper

Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
Future Berkshire Owner

Herk,
My thermostat allows individual control of each AC so I could just run the 13.5s if need be.

That's weird about not being able to turn over a fifteen, because I believe the constant of one thirteen plus startup current of the second thirteen exceeds the startup current demand of one fifteen. Maybe it was a problem getting the second one going. Or maybe it was a problem with their particular site. Anyway, I can select units as desired.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Herk,
My thermostat allows individual control of each AC so I could just run the 13.5s if need be.

That's weird about not being able to turn over a fifteen, because I believe the constant of one thirteen plus startup current of the second thirteen exceeds the startup current demand of one fifteen. Maybe it was a problem getting the second one going. Or maybe it was a problem with their particular site. Anyway, I can select units as desired.
Insufficient current was not the problem.
Insufficient VOLTAGE was.
Not enough Watts in the pipe.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I'm going to bump this one up as the same question has arisen and it may be helpful for folks to see what others have done.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #25

white vs black rv shroud

This may be a stutid question ... but I just have to ask. With so many of us complaining about the AC efficiency on the Berks .... has anyone tried swapping out the black shrouds with white one. I realize that black is trendy right now and it may look nicer on the unit, my simple mind would tell me that a black shroud would make it more difficult for the unit to shed heat and therefore less efficient.

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I ran into the heat problem----------

I ran into the heat problem here in Florida with a 15 K A/C would not cool down my 8285WS. I found the factory dark windows that were installed transmitted so much heat into the interior of the RV, the A/C could not keep up.

I applied a window film from Lowe's called "GILA Platinum" to the interior of the windows. WHAT A DIFFERENCE in cooling. My A/C now cycles off and on after the RV has cooled down from a "SET UP" in a RV park. I am no professional at applying the film. If you are not good at it, you should have a "TINT" shop apply the film for I wasted a lot of film trying to get the wrinkles out! I also used a "TITANIUM" film also on some of the windows. I remove the plastic skylight in the bath room (the one attached to the white plastic trim) , had a tempered "GREY" tint glass silicone back in the place of the clear plastic on the skylight. STOPPED 90% of the heat in the bath. Just these little changes has made a great difference on how the A/C works in cooling the RV down.

good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #27

Daisy,

Do you have the double paned windows in your unit? If so, I read somewhere that putting tinting on the inside of the double paned windows traps more heat and can cause the seal on the double paned windows to fail. Has anyone put tinting on the windows that are double paned and if so, did that cause any problems with the seals?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote