Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

A/C question

I just purchased a 2011 390bh. How well can I expect the a/c to work in extreme heat 95+ deg. When sitting in a parking lot in direct sunlight the coach would not cool down to anything better than 85deg. I was running on the generator and both a/c's seemed to be blowing cold air, it just wasn't enough to gain on the heat. Is this normal?

Mark

Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbills
I just purchased a 2011 390bh. How well can I expect the a/c to work in extreme heat 95+ deg. When sitting in a parking lot in direct sunlight the coach would not cool down to anything better than 85deg. I was running on the generator and both a/c's seemed to be blowing cold air, it just wasn't enough to gain on the heat. Is this normal?

Mark
Welcome to the forum.

In high humidity and 95 degrees I think you did well at 10 degrees below outside temp . we have 1 13.5 on our 5er and it was 101 yesterday and we maintained 86 but we were in shade on both sides.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #3

I found the same, esp in the sun. It's not bad in the shade, there's just not enough thickness and insulation in the walls and ceiling for direct sun. I added a 3rd AC unit, which made it much better in high heat w/sun.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #4

Did you try adjusting the vent on the individual ac units? There is a vent switch on each unit that allows air to bypass the ducts and blow directly down. When we are trying to get our hot coach cooled in a hurry, we open the vent which allows for free flow of air. We live in Texas and it seems to work.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh
Did you try adjusting the vent on the individual ac units? There is a vent switch on each unit that allows air to bypass the ducts and blow directly down. When we are trying to get our hot coach cooled in a hurry, we open the vent which allows for free flow of air. We live in Texas and it seems to work.
I did have each of the a/c units set to just dump the air into the coach. The dealer did explain that that would cool things off the best. I wonder how much the dark exterior is affecting things.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #6

Agree with kingwood390bh. On each of the AC units, there is a vent that controls where the air will go. It will send the air throughout the unit if closed, or directly down below the AC unit. Open it up until cooled so you are comfortable, then partially close it to blow air throughout the unit. We have endured 108 degrees this way and have been able to cool the unit to 85 degrees while in Texas. Close the doors to any areas not requiring immediate cooling. And finally, eat some ice cream, it will cool you down..
Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

As a side note, keeping a coach cool is easier than cooling a hot coach. When you have to cool all of the hot walls and furniture, as well as the air, its a battle. We super cool the coach before we set out and try not to let it heat up.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #8

I have a somewhat related question here. Today, I was testing out my single 13.5 AC unit in the 29' Salem, as we'll be camping in 2 weekends and I'm sure we're going to need AC for the first time. So this unit also has the vent control that you can open it up and it will blow all the cold air straight down, or you flip the control and the cold air flows through the ducts and out the registers. My issue is: there are 3 registers in the main area of the camper on only one in the bedroom (which is where the DW will insist that it be cool). First off, doesn't that seem kind of dumb to put three in one area? Second, has anyone tried to block off a register to force more cold air to the other registers? I'm pretty sure that I could fabricate a block-off plate for one of them, but is it a good idea? Thanks!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390BH

On mine you can close off each register by closing the end of each vent cover. Can you do that on yours?

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #10

No, that would be great. The ends of the registers spin so you can direct the air flow to different areas, but no provision for closing them off. I think a block-off plate is in my future.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote