Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

A little frustrated (need a little venting time)

We are expecting delivery of our '13 390RB next week. I have been devouring the information on this forum and learning a great deal from a lot of you and the things you have posted. One thing I am trying to get ahead of a little bit is the footpad problem a lot of folks have had with the equalizer system. Because I live up near Seattle and we often camp on sites with soft ground, it seems as though it is simply a matter of time before the hydraulic ram punches through the inadequately designed footpad. I see a lot of you have made contact with Equalizer Systems and received the new footpads free of charge (some of which were well out of warranty) that are supposed to prevent this. I emailed them this morning to see if I might be able to get those new footpads (even though I am outside the 1 year warranty). I was told "the coach has a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase from the original owner" (from the warranty and service manager). I fully understand warranties and I am not really trying to get something for nothing. Because of the weight of our coaches this was an inadequate design (and I am confident they know that) and would think they would take care of the issue. But alas, I will have to spend the $200+ to get the new ones. Okay, done venting. -Glenn
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

I understand your need to vent as they should have designed the pads to withstand the load. However, you're going at this prematurely. You don't even know if you have a problem, and the mfg. isn't going to just send you a set of pads to replace a set that may not have a problem.

I'd suggest you wait until you get the unit and then if the pads are bad, send them pictures of them and see what they say then.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #3

Thanks Bama, I have verified with the dealership that I have the "old" pads based on the part number and pictures from the website. I am simply trying to make the change before I have the failure. I spent 26 years in submarines and that service taught me to try to make sure systems are adequate before using them. My biggest concern would be punching through the pad, going into the ground and bending the hydraulic shaft causing more damage and extensive repair. Again, not trying to get something for nothing, just trying to get ahead of the failure. -Glenn
Old 11-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

I have to old design also, never had a problem with mine. Instead of spending the $200 now, spend less and get some scrap 2"x12" timber and make some pads for under the coach's pad for times when you are on soft ground.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #5

Thanks Cajun, I will most likely do that. I just have bad thoughts about the hydraulic shaft punching through the foot (and maybe even a 2 x 12 under it with all that weight and momentum) and going into the ground a foot or so like some of the owners have had happen. I had a foot problem on my fifth wheel and it did not turn out so well. Maybe I am just a worry wart...

Thanks again for letting me know yours are still going strong!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

We are original owners and had to pay for our pads I still have 1 of the old pads that I replaced prior to the new one coming out and paid for that one also. I had a problem with the pump leaking within the 1 year period and had to pay for 2 day shipping for o-rings they forgot to install. We had to be out of the park or I would have let them come normal postal it cost me something like $25 for a 10 cent part. I'm not a fan of equalizer systems for sure.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Thanks Mack, confirms my suspicions about them.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #8

Ours punched through they only went about4" through the blocks no damage to the ram. replacement wasn't too bad. The new ones are much beefier and I don't think they will punch through.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

Could somebody please post a picture of the old and new pads for educational purposes please?

Situation reads like a bad dream.....
Old 11-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #10

I have a 2011 and I can't honestly tell you if I have the new or the old design. I have used them on all kinds of different surfaces with no problems. I also do not put anything down first. Yup I do everything wrong and no punch through so far.
Look it it this way. It's a Moho and things are definitely going to break. That is the one thing you can count on. I'm a big believer in PM. I guess from my military days also Glenn. So PM good worry bad. When things break fix them. When they don't enjoy yourself. You will get stuck somewhere broken down. It's going to happen. Just roll with it and worry when it happens.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

Thanks Phil, understand all brother.
On a side note- Randy is out today again (had to rush down to SC for a meeting of some kind). Hoping to talk with him tomorrow morning now.
-Glenn
Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Could somebody please post a picture of the old and new pads for educational purposes please?

Situation reads like a bad dream.....
These are for the Berkshire I have no idea what you have on your trailer.
But I will try to post a picture of the old one later. new ones are installed so I'm unable to take a picture of them.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #13

new

Old
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #14

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=41784

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #15

I had 1 of the 4 punch thru. Mir didn't damage anything else, just ran the shaft straight thru asphalt and into the ground.
I had all 4 replaced while they were working on it.
So far, so good!

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #16

The head of the ram is rounded also so the plate can be level if the ground isn't. I had 3 punch through. The new ones are much beefier where the ram contacts it. I guess in a year or 2 the new old style one will punch through but not the 3 new style.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
new

Old

Thank you very much for the two pictures, very helpful.

If I am looking at the old one right I can see where there is a cup or bowl shape where the ram attached to the pad.

The pressed out shape stressed and thinned out the metal pad to the point failure is a given.

Poor insight on the pad manufactures part IMO.

@ Phil57

Thank you as well for the picture...
Old 11-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Thanks Phil, understand all brother.
On a side note- Randy is out today again (had to rush down to SC for a meeting of some kind). Hoping to talk with him tomorrow morning now.
-Glenn

Glenn, I think Randy is out of the office till Monday. I could be wrong but that's what I thought someone wrote on another post last week.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #19

Poor insight indeed. Makes me wonder if they took into consideration the weight these things would be supporting. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the old design will not last for long.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #20

Sunsailor
I have a 2012 and no pad problems. Granted, the design may be poor, but the problem isn't prevalent

I mentioned to you before you purchased, that there was only two major consistent problems namely weight and the tankless water heater (especially if you have Gen I. There is also another consistent problem and is relevant to the jacks. Most all of us get chirping sounds now and then. To my knowledge, it hasn't been solved.
Hank

Tags
vent