Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Dragonship Captain

AC drains.....

So, on a boat forum I hang out on there's a big thread on a few people that have clogged condensate drains for their AC's. On a boat you don't have the choice on whether to channel the condensate away as the units are IN the boat and not on the roof.

We do have the choice and many RV's just drain on the roof and you use the levelers to keep it from dripping on your head by the door.

But our Berks (FR) chose to have a drain which brings it all the way to ground level on the driver's side. Awesome.

But it all got me thinking that some preventative maintenance would be in order to keep these little tubes from clogging from all the crap that enters them.

Soooo... Are there people here that do such maintenance and what do you use? Air? Water? Any chemicals if so what?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

The mobile rv ac tech who has been doing it many years told us he sees them clogged occasionally, and that it isn’t only Berkshire units that do the enclosed drain. His recommendation was a chlorine solution down it a time or two a year to kill off the crud. He does it on all he works on with an enclosed drain and pours it in the collection tray on the ac unit. I figured “what the heck-can’t hurt” so I do it. He also said he had seen rv’s where the drain had been plugged for quite some time and caused problems with the roof structure when they leaked in. Whether it’s enough of an issue to actively worry about I don’t know, but it seems such an easy preventive measure I’m doing it. I suppose in a high humidity climate or where the ac unit runs for lengthy times day after day it’d be even more of something to think about. Along with the other umpteen things.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

I thought about this too actually because we’re in FLA at the moment and it’s 88deg outside. So we’ve been running the ACs. I also wondered if the drain hose is one continuous piece or if there are connections along the way. So I wonder if the connections could leak over time or come loose OR the beginning of the hose at the tray could come loose perhaps?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #4

Mold and mildew is a problem here in Houston for both rv and home airconditioners. Usually a bit of compressed air is enough to blow out any bugs and spiders that have made a home in the pipe. Then a mild bleach solution to kill the mold and fresh water to rinse out the killed mold residue.

Might not be necessary, but it's easier to get rid of a bit of mold and bugs than wait til the line becomes plugged.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
Dragonship Captain

I suspect the hose is one piece. One thing FR doesn't like to do is have hidden plumbing connections. I applaud that.

So, some air, bleach and water..... Sounds like a plan.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #6

So as an A/c guy- I recommend a vacuum on the drain line. this really works great, even better if there is a little water in the pan.

I use a self rinsing evaporator coil cleaner, Spray a little on the coil and run the unit in ac mode. Cleans the coil and drain pan.

Be very careful with bleach on aluminum coils .
Old 02-26-2019, 04:00 AM   #7
Dragonship Captain

I like that.... This stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/SAFE-Foaming-...c+coil+cleaner
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 AM   #8

Not that stuff - that is made for outdoor coils-

https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Calgon-417.../dp/B00DM8KQ3I

this is made for indoor coils and is self rinsing. Its also available in gallons.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Awesome, thanks.

Tags
drain