Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 22
Additional A/C

2014 BH400

I'm one of those guys that use the ac in the winter at home.

We are currently glamping in the hot Texas heat (96-103) and the current 2 units cannot catch up until the middle of the night. (Thermostats set at 65, interior temps finally reach 67-69) By early afternoon we are gaining interior temps of 78-80. Doors shut. Both shades drawn.

Will our generator support another ac unit? Or would it be possible to wire for shore power only? (Kitchen vent location)

Should we consider larger units and just stick with 2 units?
__________________

__________________
2014 Berkshire 400BH-60
2012 MC Ram 2500 6.7 Limited
nastygts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60
 
TaterColo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SW Denver Colo
Posts: 310
What I have done when we get back from sightseeing and the coach is hot - even with both rooftop AC going is I start the coach and turn on the MAX AC on the dash. Seem to help.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
What I have done when we get back from sightseeing and the coach is hot - even with both rooftop AC going is I start the coach and turn on the MAX AC on the dash. Seem to help.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Is this OK to do with shore power plugged in? I'm asking for future knowledge......T.I.A!
__________________
2014 Berkshire 400BH-60
2012 MC Ram 2500 6.7 Limited
nastygts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60
 
TaterColo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SW Denver Colo
Posts: 310
I've had no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastygts View Post
2014 BH400



I'm one of those guys that use the ac in the winter at home.



We are currently glamping in the hot Texas heat (96-103) and the current 2 units cannot catch up until the middle of the night. (Thermostats set at 65, interior temps finally reach 67-69) By early afternoon we are gaining interior temps of 78-80. Doors shut. Both shades drawn.



Will our generator support another ac unit? Or would it be possible to wire for shore power only? (Kitchen vent location)



Should we consider larger units and just stick with 2 units?

It's going to be tough getting it cool it that temp. A couple of questions.
1 Do you have a outside sunshade?
If you do do you have it on the drivers side window and the door?
2 do you have awnings on the exposed windows?
3 do you have insulation in the vents?
4 How about the skylight. I have considered painting it white to help with the heat invasion.
5 Do you have 13,500 AC or 15000?
6 When very hot out we open the main vent to allow the cool air to drop down instead of going through the vents. This is only for older MH as the new ones are different.
As far as I have seen there is not a single answer to cooling the MH. All these things I have done and it helps. I guess if you had 3 AC you would not need to worry about it but I don't so keeping the heat out is very important.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Member
 
Motodad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 50
I just got finished today. Bought some reflectix from Home Depot and made my own shade for the front and drivers side windows. It was 105 in east tx today. My berk is usually around 100 with acs off in my driveway. I checked it at 6pm and it was 87deg. It made a big difference. I have a lot of reflectix left. Where else can I put it to help? I have 2 13550 units and I'm thinking about getting a stand alone AC as well. I will get it to 70 on a 105deg day
Motodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
It's going to be tough getting it cool it that temp. A couple of questions.
1 Do you have a outside sunshade? Just the awnings
If you do do you have it on the drivers side window and the door?
2 do you have awnings on the exposed windows? No
3 do you have insulation in the vents? Whatever comes from the factory
4 How about the skylight. I have considered painting it white to help with the heat invasion. I am now considering this
5 Do you have 13,500 AC or 15000? 13,500
6 When very hot out we open the main vent to allow the cool air to drop down instead of going through the vents. This is only for older MH as the new ones are different. Yes, I used the dump vents
As far as I have seen there is not a single answer to cooling the MH. All these things I have done and it helps. I guess if you had 3 AC you would not need to worry about it but I don't so keeping the heat out is very important.

I kept all the sunshades and night shades closed. I am doing my research now as to what films and "blockers" while parked. I now understand why full timers migrate elsewhere during the hot summer months. LOL


We made it back home yesterday evening and parked under covered carport. I left the front unit on with the thermostat set at 73.

Stopped by this afternoon while the temp was 102ish here......walked in.....nice and cool (73). I cant believe how much heat soaks up in these things.


What exactly is the exhaust fan( kitchen area) tied into a separate thermostat used for anyways?
__________________
2014 Berkshire 400BH-60
2012 MC Ram 2500 6.7 Limited
nastygts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodad View Post
I just got finished today. Bought some reflectix from Home Depot and made my own shade for the front and drivers side windows. It was 105 in east tx today. My berk is usually around 100 with acs off in my driveway. I checked it at 6pm and it was 87deg. It made a big difference. I have a lot of reflectix left. Where else can I put it to help? I have 2 13550 units and I'm thinking about getting a stand alone AC as well. I will get it to 70 on a 105deg day

I brainstormed this stuff on the drive home. I thought about trimming nicely for the front windows and fabbing up some HD suction cups to hold up as close to the glass as possible.
__________________
2014 Berkshire 400BH-60
2012 MC Ram 2500 6.7 Limited
nastygts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
Member
 
Motodad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 50
I used 9lb magnets. About the size of a watch battery. Glued them to the windows and to the reflectix. Works great. I'm eventually going to make them work on the outside in stead of the inside.
Motodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jmgllt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Following
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: On the Road.
Posts: 169
Don't know your size of A/C. But what i did was upgrade the front A/C from a 13,500 to a 15,000 A/C. And in the back is the 13,500. Was in Az. this summer and I could keep it in the cool 78* was very comfortable.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
fredhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 149
I touched base with MagnaShade today. $520 for a Berkshire exterior shade. I've read they do a great job in lowering heat in the rigs.
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
nathantoensing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 134
Just got ours installed this weekend...6.5 weeks to make with the digital print at $975!!! Pricey but well worth it here in Tucson. We noticed the reduction in heat inside the Berk immediately!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445314940.137117.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	92270


--Nathan
2016 38a
__________________
--Nathan
2016 38a
nathantoensing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 659
975.00 ! Wow, no wonder the big eyes.
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhardy View Post
I touched base with MagnaShade today. $520 for a Berkshire exterior shade. I've read they do a great job in lowering heat in the rigs.

You heard right. I love ours. So easy to use. Never need a ladder.



__________________

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.


×