Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

Advice please !!

Been going around in circles all day between MVD and independent company that does Vin. checks.

Everything I received from dealer including previous title has the coach as a 2014 model. So the vin checker goes in and takes the vin.# from cabinet over the drivers area cabinet and runs the number to produce the document that MVD need to verify the vin.# to the coach. I didn't notice till the girl at MVD said it was no good unless it matched the title. I went back to the vin. checker and he claims the D in the number ( 7th ) digit says it's a 2013.

Has anyone else run into these problems ? Really at my wits end dealing with these clowns today.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Been going around in circles all day between MVD and independent company that does Vin. checks.

Everything I received from dealer including previous title has the coach as a 2014 model. So the vin checker goes in and takes the vin.# from cabinet over the drivers area cabinet and runs the number to produce the document that MVD need to verify the vin.# to the coach. I didn't notice till the girl at MVD said it was no good unless it matched the title. I went back to the vin. checker and he claims the D in the number ( 7th ) digit says it's a 2013.

Has anyone else run into these problems ? Really at my wits end dealing with these clowns today.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Yes, this has happened many times. with the chassis being a different model year from the rest. We have several previous threads about this, including some responses from Forest River reps. Let me see if I can find you some.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Here's some so far:

Suppose to pick up new Sunseeker tomorrow- Have Vin# issue

What year is my motorhome????

New 3010DS soon...Serial Number ?

Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #4

I need to ask other members that have 2014 Berkshires if they have a D or an E for the 7th digit of their Vin. ?

Are your coaches registered as the Berkshire model year or the Frightliner chassis year which could be the year before the coach year?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

Advice please !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442962364.705858.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	89611
Joe,
I have a 2014 390BH-60 it is not uncommon for the chassis manufacturer to ship a chassis from one year to a coach manufacturer to build a coach for a later model year. I have attached one of my many VIN numbers noted above the drivers seat. I think maybe the DMV needs to get out from behind the desk and look at all your placards. They did just that in Florida and confirmed the VIN on my coach. And yes, I am registered as a 2014
Good luck

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Attachment 89611
Joe,
I have a 2014 390BH-60 it is not uncommon for the chassis manufacturer to ship a chassis from one year to a coach manufacturer to build a coach for a later model year. I have attached one of my many VIN numbers noted above the drivers seat. I think maybe the DMV needs to get out from behind the desk and look at all your placards. They did just that in Florida and confirmed the VIN on my coach. And yes, I am registered as a 2014
Good luck

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Thanks Paulie, Yeah mine is the same, like yours it says manufactured 2013. Why wouldn't the factory protect their clients and state the model year with a vin. # ? This is going to get interesting. They don't have a problem with the vin., but with the date and what the D represents. Ct. MVD won't get off their butts to look at anything. They send you to a independent contractor to check it for 10.00, and they just go be what the software tells them. All Ct. wants is the revenue from the tax money.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Thanks Paulie, Yeah mine is the same, like yours it says manufactured 2013. Why wouldn't the factory protect their clients and state the model year with a vin. # ? This is going to get interesting. They don't have a problem with the vin., but with the date and what the D represents. Ct. MVD won't get off their butts to look at anything. They send you to a independent contractor to check it for 10.00, and they just go be what the software tells them. All Ct. wants is the revenue from the tax money.
Uhhh, you keep saying the 7th digit is the model year, but it's the 10th digit.

We've discussed this before. Here is a link that explains FR trailers. The motorhomes should be similar.

ftp://safercar.gov/MfrMail/01-22-N11B-7432.pdf

In vehicles, it's also the 10th digit.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Uhhh, you keep saying the 7th digit is the model year, but it's the 10th digit.

Well according to the Center that did the vin ck for the state he said the 7th. You may be correct I don't know, but the 10th in my vin is also a D.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

X2 wmtire.
http://www.autocalculator.org/VIN/De...x#.VgHoelko7qA

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Here you go. On page 8 of the generic Forest River owners manual for motorhomes, it explains and decodes the VIN for you. It also shows you the tenth position is the model year.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Images...-Motorized.pdf

An example would be that your 5th and 6th digits should be BE to indicate Berkshire or your first 6 digits are probably 4X4MBE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FireShot Screen Capture #001 - 'ForestRiverOwnersManual-Motorized_pdf' - www_forestriverinc_com_.png
Views:	112
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	89614