Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

Advice please !!

Been going around in circles all day between MVD and independent company that does Vin. checks.

Everything I received from dealer including previous title has the coach as a 2014 model. So the vin checker goes in and takes the vin.# from cabinet over the drivers area cabinet and runs the number to produce the document that MVD need to verify the vin.# to the coach. I didn't notice till the girl at MVD said it was no good unless it matched the title. I went back to the vin. checker and he claims the D in the number ( 7th ) digit says it's a 2013.

Has anyone else run into these problems ? Really at my wits end dealing with these clowns today.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Been going around in circles all day between MVD and independent company that does Vin. checks.

Everything I received from dealer including previous title has the coach as a 2014 model. So the vin checker goes in and takes the vin.# from cabinet over the drivers area cabinet and runs the number to produce the document that MVD need to verify the vin.# to the coach. I didn't notice till the girl at MVD said it was no good unless it matched the title. I went back to the vin. checker and he claims the D in the number ( 7th ) digit says it's a 2013.

Has anyone else run into these problems ? Really at my wits end dealing with these clowns today.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Yes, this has happened many times. with the chassis being a different model year from the rest. We have several previous threads about this, including some responses from Forest River reps. Let me see if I can find you some.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Here's some so far:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sue-82002.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ome-17995.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ber-57652.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

I need to ask other members that have 2014 Berkshires if they have a D or an E for the 7th digit of their Vin. ?

Are your coaches registered as the Berkshire model year or the Frightliner chassis year which could be the year before the coach year?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

Advice please !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442962364.705858.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	89611
Joe,
I have a 2014 390BH-60 it is not uncommon for the chassis manufacturer to ship a chassis from one year to a coach manufacturer to build a coach for a later model year. I have attached one of my many VIN numbers noted above the drivers seat. I think maybe the DMV needs to get out from behind the desk and look at all your placards. They did just that in Florida and confirmed the VIN on my coach. And yes, I am registered as a 2014
Good luck

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Attachment 89611
Joe,
I have a 2014 390BH-60 it is not uncommon for the chassis manufacturer to ship a chassis from one year to a coach manufacturer to build a coach for a later model year. I have attached one of my many VIN numbers noted above the drivers seat. I think maybe the DMV needs to get out from behind the desk and look at all your placards. They did just that in Florida and confirmed the VIN on my coach. And yes, I am registered as a 2014
Good luck

Paul
Thanks Paulie, Yeah mine is the same, like yours it says manufactured 2013. Why wouldn't the factory protect their clients and state the model year with a vin. # ? This is going to get interesting. They don't have a problem with the vin., but with the date and what the D represents. Ct. MVD won't get off their butts to look at anything. They send you to a independent contractor to check it for 10.00, and they just go be what the software tells them. All Ct. wants is the revenue from the tax money.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Thanks Paulie, Yeah mine is the same, like yours it says manufactured 2013. Why wouldn't the factory protect their clients and state the model year with a vin. # ? This is going to get interesting. They don't have a problem with the vin., but with the date and what the D represents. Ct. MVD won't get off their butts to look at anything. They send you to a independent contractor to check it for 10.00, and they just go be what the software tells them. All Ct. wants is the revenue from the tax money.
Uhhh, you keep saying the 7th digit is the model year, but it's the 10th digit.

We've discussed this before. Here is a link that explains FR trailers. The motorhomes should be similar.

ftp://safercar.gov/MfrMail/01-22-N11B-7432.pdf

In vehicles, it's also the 10th digit.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Uhhh, you keep saying the 7th digit is the model year, but it's the 10th digit.

Well according to the Center that did the vin ck for the state he said the 7th. You may be correct I don't know, but the 10th in my vin is also a D.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

X2 wmtire.
http://www.autocalculator.org/VIN/De...x#.VgHoelko7qA

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Here you go. On page 8 of the generic Forest River owners manual for motorhomes, it explains and decodes the VIN for you. It also shows you the tenth position is the model year.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Images...-Motorized.pdf

An example would be that your 5th and 6th digits should be BE to indicate Berkshire or your first 6 digits are probably 4X4MBE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FireShot Screen Capture #001 - 'ForestRiverOwnersManual-Motorized_pdf' - www_forestriverinc_com_.png
Views:	144
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	89614  

Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Here you go. On page 8 of the generic Forest River owners manual for motorhomes, it explains and decodes the VIN for you. It also shows you the tenth position is the model year.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Images...-Motorized.pdf

An example would be that your 5th and 6th digits should be BE to indicate Berkshire or your first 6 digits are probably 4X4MBE
Looks good, but couldn't be any further off from what my vin is. Maybe it's more for TT's or 5th wheels. Look up at Paulie's, doesn't seem to jive there either. I do appreciate your input though.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Paulie has posted the incomplete chassis VIN. This is what comes on the chassis, when FR buys them from whomever. It's explained in some of the links I posted in my initial post by BClemens.
Here is one:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post863614

The complete unit is going to be titled according to Forest Rivers VIN model year when the coach and chassis are completed together. This is the one that should start with 4X4.... as explained in the link above.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

Advice please !!

I'm going to have to check my paperwork when I get home, but I believe FL has a vin# for the chassis and FR has another number for the "house".

Joe I have a '13 and my 7th number is a D.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

AFAIK, a REAL vin number is always 17 digits. This would be the FreightLiner Number.

What FR adds after the fact, I have no idea.

I never need to tell anyone (either Forest River or FreightLiner) anything but the last 6 digits of my 17 digit number, when I order parts, etc.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Paulie has posted the incomplete chassis VIN. This is what comes on the chassis, when FR buys them from whomever. It's explained in some of the links I posted in my initial post by BClemens.
Here is one:

The complete unit is going to be titled according to Forest Rivers VIN model year when the coach and chassis are completed together. This is the one that should start with 4X4.... as explained in the link above.

Wmtire
You are incorrect. My Berkshire is registered under the FL incomplete VIN number. When talking with FR they use that same VIN number. All FR uses is the last 6 for reference, mine being FT1008.

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #16

First I have to say I've only had the need to contact the factory twice but in both instances they returned my e mail / phone call with in minutes . Today after not getting much help from dealer at all for this vin # situation I called R. Hauser, left a message on his voice mail and shortly after received a call from a sweet gal named Julie.

She assured me the coach was indeed a 2014 and really don't pertain to the year of the coach unless by chance they received a chassis from Freightliner and it's in the same model year.

Anyways she produced and sent me all kinds of paperwork pertaining to my coach which didn't help me at the DMV today but tomorrow I drive it to Weathersfield, Ct. to the main DMV for the state because they told me that Forest River is not on their list of approved coach builders, and this was a supervisor. So I have to go to this other place so that they can inspect the coach and also the vin.# situation. Maybe with any kind of luck it'll go through tomorrow and I'll be set.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Wmtire
You are incorrect. My Berkshire is registered under the FL incomplete VIN number. When talking with FR they use that same VIN number. All FR uses is the last 6 for reference, mine being FT1008.
Paul

Quote:
Here is one:

I don't think we are on the same page here. What I and (I think Bclemens) are saying is that the model year of the completed unit is supposed to be taken from Forest Rivers VIN for title purposes superseding the FL VIN model year. This may be what is getting confused. I'm not trying to say the actual title from the state/DMV is going to have Forest Rivers VIN, but the year listed on the title itself should come from Forest Rivers VIN, instead of the FL VIN.

This is the problem the OP is encountering, His FL VIN model year is different from the previous owners title model year, which was supposed to be taken from the Forest River VIN.

If the coach VIN (Forest Rivers) and the chassis VIN (Freightliner or whomever) had the same model year on their respective VIN's, it wouldn't be a problem. It's when a previous years chassis doesn't get used till the next Forest River coach model year or later, that these problems can arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Actually the coach portion DOES get a Vin.

Ford E450 is 1FDXE....

Forest River is 4X4.... the 10th digit of the that VIN will be the model year of the vehicle.

If you look at the attached picture it is the Ford Chassis title as we receive it, (No model year noted). If you look at the Forest River title it will have the model year listed. 1 year difference is pretty common. 2 years is less common, but as mentioned above, with a lower usage chassis (E350) and a quicker model year change, you can end up with 2 year difference pretty easily. Still registers according to the Forest River Model year.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #18

Joe it might just be easier to move. I have never heard of a DMV being so screwed up. This is a common thing with all different manufacturers. My chassis was made in oct 2010 and the MH was made in 2011. It's a 2011 and the DMV in both FL and Mi had no trouble understanding that. It sounds like you have a real bunch of goofballs on your hands.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #19

Serves ya right for living in one of those damn eastern tax-the-crap-outta-ya states!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Joe it might just be easier to move. I have never heard of a DMV being so screwed up. This is a common thing with all different manufacturers. My chassis was made in oct 2010 and the MH was made in 2011. It's a 2011 and the DMV in both FL and Mi had no trouble understanding that. It sounds like you have a real bunch of goofballs on your hands.
Without a doubt Phil From the governor right down the line. It's no wonder why people are moving out along with business by the numbers. We'll be one of them before long, but to long.

Well at least I understand why I couldn't get a hold of Randy this morning. Joking, I have to say they are a pleasure to deal with from my dealing with them so far.

BTW, do they have any cool Berkshire hats up there at the factory ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40