Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #1

Air Conditioner Problems

My rear A/C unit quit cooling a few months ago and I was able to repair it by replacing the start capacitor (smaller of the two). Now the unit will start, compressor comes on after 10 seconds or so, runs for 60 seconds then shuts off. After 1 or 2 minutes the unit repeats the process. I did try setting the thermostat as low as it would go to see if it was a temperature differential or sensor but no joy.
Only components left that I can replace are the run capacitor and circuit board. After that I guess it's new unit time.
If anyone have any insights on this problem please let me know.
My coach is a 2014 Berk 390 RB-60 and it was built late 2013-early 2014. Would think the air conditioner could last more than 3 years but may be time for an upgrade to 15k units.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #2

replace the run capacitor and make sure the start capacitor you put in was correct.
What your describing is the compressor running- but then going off on its internal overload. This responds to heat (not running long enough for that) and amp draw.
If the capacitors do not if it, I believe you would have a bad compressor.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #3

dave-g: Thanks for the advice and assist. Hopefully the local dealer will have the run cap in stock and I can do the swap real soon. I will post the results either way. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #4

dave-g/ all: I turned the unit on to fan only and manual setting to medium (instead of auto). The compressor came on, went off twice, then stayed on (!!?!!).
Very pleased with result since it us hot & humid here in Florida, but stymied as to cause. Guess the run capacitor could still be the culprit but also wondering if the circuit board is questionable. I am assuming (yeah, I know...), the compressor is not the problem since it is still cranking.
Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

The newer domestic A/C's will cycle the compressor off for a few seconds and the fan will usually change speeds when the fan switch is in the auto position and the temperature differential is about + or - 4 degrees. Mine does it especially right after arrival at a campsite in hot summer temps. I usually flip the fan switch to high.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
The newer domestic A/C's will cycle the compressor off for a few seconds and the fan will usually change speeds when the fan switch is in the auto position and the temperature differential is about + or - 4 degrees. Mine does it especially right after arrival at a campsite in hot summer temps. I usually flip the fan switch to high.
Not calling you wrong... but why?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #8

I don't know but it's here. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mes-77855.html
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner