Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #1

Air Conditioning Question

I have a 2015 XL 40RB that I bought this spring as a new leftover and have not yet been camping in it. It is plugged into a 30 amp service at my house and yesterday I wanted to run the air conditioner so I could spend some time in it.I started it late morning when the outside temp was mid 70s and the thermostat indicated an inside temp of 76. I ran the front unit for several hours and although I could feel cool air coming from the vents the inside air temp showed the temp actually going up to 77. The outside temp got close to mid 80s. Should this unit be more efficient than this and actually be able to get the inside temp down more or am I being impatient? Wondering if the unit needs to be charged? Any info would be appreciated, Dave
dsalmon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

I think you should have it looked at, It should be cooling better than that.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Site Team

RV AC units are made to not be rechargeable ( Cost savings). If it a Dometic unit, they had a bad batch about the time yours was made where they failed to add the anti-corrosion additive and the units leak over time. Call the dealer and have it checked. Dometic is replacing the entire unit. As it is covered under Dometic warranty, you may be able to have it done at a local Dometic authorized shop rather than returning to your dealer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

That's not uncommon. If it was sunny with no outside shades o would expect the same result. You don't say if you have 15000 or 13500 BTU a/c. You will want to get windshield covers and I suggest awnings. The sun is your biggest problem. I do know when they check the A/c they use a restaurant style probe thermometer. Pot it in a vent to see that the cooled are is before it comes into the room.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #5

Air Conditioning Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
RV AC units are made to not be rechargeable ( Cost savings). If it a Dometic unit, they had a bad batch about the time yours was made where they failed to add the anti-corrosion additive and the units leak over time. Call the dealer and have it checked. Dometic is replacing the entire unit. As it is covered under Dometic warranty, you may be able to have it done at a local Dometic authorized shop rather than returning to your dealer.

This is very interesting. Is there a recall? Our front ac is starting to act up.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
That's not uncommon. If it was sunny with no outside shades o would expect the same result. You don't say if you have 15000 or 13500 BTU a/c. You will want to get windshield covers and I suggest awnings. The sun is your biggest problem. I do know when they check the A/c they use a restaurant style probe thermometer. Pot it in a vent to see that the cooled are is before it comes into the room.
Thanks for the input. It is a 15000 but and ost of the window shades were down. I guess we need to try it some more and see what it does
Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

Very interesting indeed, I had to replace my rear unit last year because it was leaking at a solder joint. Was told by Dometic that it wasn't covered.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What is the exhaust and intake temp difference?
That will immediately tell you whats going on.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalmon55 View Post
Thanks for the input. It is a 15000 but and ost of the window shades were down. I guess we need to try it some more and see what it does

What Phil is referring to is exterior window coverings to block the sun from heating the surface of the glass. For example Magna Shade makes a very good product.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #10

dsalmon55 - You mention one degree difference. I'm not sure how you cab be so accurate. First of all, you probably already know that if you are plugged into a 20 amp circuit; only one AC can be run. I fine that having the vent right beneath the AC open that the AC is less restricted and really pours cold air out. However when I am inside and want quietness, I shut that vent. I also once having the moho cooled, run the rear AC with all the rear ceiling vents closed (primarily in the evening). The rear AC now will come out the front vents with great quietness.

Even with shades closed if bright sun is beating down on the moho, the moho is a can and heats up easily. Achieving more then a 10 degree differential is sometimes difficult if in hot sunlight. Besides temperature, the reduced humidity is a benefit, even if the temp is not down where you want it.

Tip - Get shady campsites, especially when down south,
Hank
Old 06-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #11

dsalmon55 - I forgot to mention; if parked in the sun, you can have as much heat pouring out your shower's dome that unifies the cooling. There has been several posts on how to block the dome.
Hank
Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #12

All great info, thanks. I will look into magna shades and research blocking the shower dome. As far as the inside temp I was just going by the reading on the AC digital wall thermostat. Thanks again, Dave
Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalmon55 View Post
All great info, thanks. I will look into magna shades and research blocking the shower dome. As far as the inside temp I was just going by the reading on the AC digital wall thermostat. Thanks again, Dave
As I mentioned before, to make SURE your a/c is cooling properly you need to stick a digital thermometer in the intake and exhaust to see if you have atleast a 15° difference.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #14

A/C

We just spent Sunday thru Wednesday at the beach (Destin). Temps were in the mid to upper 90's. Humidity was high. I had the thermostat set on 71. Our interior stayed at 70F the entire time. A/C units cycled on and off, and ran very little after sun down.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
We just spent Sunday thru Wednesday at the beach (Destin). Temps were in the mid to upper 90's. Humidity was high. I had the thermostat set on 71. Our interior stayed at 70F the entire time. A/C units cycled on and off, and ran very little after sun down.
Would that be with 3 AC units running?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:09 AM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
I am guessing since you have the XLT, you have 3 AC units and better insulation and double pane windows. Try that on a 32' Class C with a single 15k. By the way, I am on my 3rd AC in less than a year.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #17

Xlt

Yes, it is an XLT. FR has hit a home run with this model. In Januaty, with freezing temps, we didn't need to use the furnaces. Between the heated floors and the heat pumps, it was more than comfortable.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #18

Re: Post #5 asking about a Dometic recall: NO, Dometic has not issued a recall that I know of. I'm not on my third 15K A/C unit since buying my TT in January 2014. Dometic has replaced the other two after a local service guy confirmed the exchange temps, between air going into the unit and out of the unit, and the amperage draw while the unit is running. Also: Dometic IS NOT extending the warranty of these units. Dometic warrants their A/C units for two years from the date of original purchase. IF you have a unit replaced the warranty runs out on the brand new unit the day your RV turns two years old from the original date of purchase. On the FR forum I read of one RV owner who had his fifth A/C unit put on two days before his purchase anniversary date. My local service guy says he has one customer who is on his third unit with an RV less than one year old.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #19

My Berk is 3 1/2 years old and I am on my 4th front Dometic A/C unit but the original on the rear one. Knock wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #20

That's interesting. Are they both 15K or one 15K and one 13.5K?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner