Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Air suspension

I presently own a georgetown V-10 motorhome and we are looking at a used diesel motorhome 2009 cummings 400 hp. Any advice as to what to look for? How many years can one expect for air bag suspension ? How often for tune up, fuel injectors or anything else you can think of.Your response would be greatly appreciated.
ron377ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #2

unlike a gas engine there is no real tune up for a diesel engine however you do have to change fuel filters and air filters and water separators depending on how much you drive. Oil changes will be in gallons not quarts like the gas engine and normally has a somewhat longer interval then the standard gas engine. with proper maintenance air bags will last the life of the coach. you need to keep the area around the bags clean and free from rust that might wear on a bag some folks treat the outside of the bags with the same chemical used by white water rafters to protect the rafts
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

Is it a Berkshire you are looking at?
MotoxDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron377ts View Post
I presently own a georgetown V-10 motorhome and we are looking at a used diesel motorhome 2009 cummings 400 hp. Any advice as to what to look for? How many years can one expect for air bag suspension ? How often for tune up, fuel injectors or anything else you can think of.Your response would be greatly appreciated.

As for your question on air bags the longest I have owned a diesel pusher is 10 years and that unit only had 65,000 miles on. I am sure like anything it depends how often you use it. Full timers will operate suspension more than part times unless they are stationary more than they are mobile. I never had to touch my air bags but I know others that drove it weekly and had to service theirs.

Wayne
Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #5

The
Air Bags are the least thing to worry about, they will last for the Life of the coach, I have driven two Kenworths a total of 3 million miles and never had an air bag failure. Just service it as required and enjoy your new coach
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

Since many of us have out rvs in storage much of the year, it is a good idea to get an oil change at the end of each season. Dirty oil contains acids that can be hard on engines.

I personally have oil changed and Genet serviced each year. Depending on the filter they are changed every year or two. Air filters will last longer than that but depends on the roads you drive.

In my area the most affordible place to have this work done is the local drive thru truck stop. Cost is in the 300 to 400 dollar range.

I also make sure to use fuel conditioner before storing rv.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

Thanks for responses. This will help when the time comes to make a purchase. The motorhome I was looking at was a winnebago tour at camping world in Virginia. Of course my rig was worth nothing and there's top dollar.I was just getting a feel for what I can expect in a trade. Will probably sell outright,then buy when ready. Not sure if a forest river is in my future on not. Depends on the layout and drive train. After having owned the Goergetown , we know what we want for storage and layout. Next rv will be for full-time living.
ron377ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

Shop around you can do much better than Cworld!
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension