Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
I have the same issue that J has.... Won't raise with engine running.... What's up with that???

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
So letting the engine run and build air before raising the jacks makes great sense but when I try that, my Equalizer squawks, squeals, beeps and flashes the "Ignition ON" led and does nothing more. Is there something (step wise) you all are doing to get the jacks retracted with the engine on? As always - THANKS in advance.
. Make sure the equalizer panel is off. No power. Let air build turn it on and raise jacks. Should be good to go.

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Alright!!!!! Didn't think about turning off the Equalizer first.... Will try that next time out....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
OK - I can run the engine with the Equalizer panel off but I have to kill the engine before turning the Equalizer panel back on to retract jacks. I have indeed done that after an extended stay. I thought the posts were folks saying they could raise with the engine on and my system does not seem to want to do that in anyway, shape or form.
2008 Berkshire 360QS
with Mercedes Power
2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 pickup toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
WOW!!! Struck a nerve on this one!!! Thanks for all the interest. The guys at FR pretty much told me that the valve that controls the air inflation is only "energized" for a pretty short time and if you miss that "window" you'll have that problem.

Funny, it's the first time I ever tried to raised the jacks BEFORE starting the engine. Since all the air had bled off the tanks (while parked for 4-5 days) then the valve was only open while no air on the system.

Wouldn't ya know... I'm trying to go "by the book" and look what it got me!!

Just left Elkhart a few hours ago.... More on that visit in the overweight thread!!

Thanks all.....

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Berkshire 390QS
Our procedure is turn on equalizer system, start engine, wait about 10 seconds until alarm goes off (buzzer) let air presure build up to normal, push auto re-retract, wait until jacks are up, let the air bags fill, walk around and double check jacks up, final walk around and off we go. the equalizer system on ours clears the warning lights, buzzer etc. In about 10 seconds when the engine is running.
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days,
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Folks, as per Forest River the Equalizer system has a electronic sensor that trips the inflation of the chassis air bag system when the jacks are retracted if the engine is running. The electronic switch, which triggers the air bag inflation will time out after a few seconds if the engine is not running.

As one poster said the way to trigger inflation, if this happens, is to deploy the jacks and retract them with the engine running.

Best way to insure this doesn't happen is to start and warm up the engine before retracting the jacks. I let the front and rear pressure gauges hit 100 psi and then retract the jacks. You will hear the alarms but this is normal.

If for some reason you forget about the alarms and put the transmission into gear with the jacks down they immediately begin to retract.
Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Sounds like a plan. I will give it a try.
hark582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Thanks to all for this thread. We had the same experience in OR this year. Got airborn too ! Thought it was the bridge transitions on I-5. Ill be more attentive to the airbags and the way the jacks are lifted.
Edward972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
air bags

Visited the "rodeo" today. Had to call freightliner because the dealer had no idea what to do. Just coming out of the campground and almost lost breakfast on a speed bump. Freightliner tech also had me level coach, start engine and then release leveling jacks. Guess there's a few of us out there that have seen this.

gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote