Old 04-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
Alaska Questions

I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer and was looking for any recommendations anyone might have for rv parks near Denali and also any good ideas on charter fishing excursions. Not a big fisherman but thought I should do some fishing if I'm going to Alaska. Thanks

2014 - 240 days of camping
2015 - 210 days of camping
2016 - 150 days of camping so far
RNuzzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
We stayed in denali national park, Made reservations 2 months ahead and had no problems. They have busses to take you many places in the park and into town.

Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I've lived in Alaska for six years. For fishing, I assume you mean deep sea fishing so you'll want to charter a boat out of either Seward or Valdez. (The drive from Anchorage to Valdez is oh-my-gosh beautiful so I highly recommend'll drive by two glacier fields where you can stop and see more wildlife than you could count.)

Charter boats can be the smaller, more personable ones, to the larger, more commercial ones. I always took the smaller ones but if the seas are rough, the larger boats are better. When I was there, the limit on halibut was two a day but I believe it's only one a day and they can range from 20 pounds to a few hundred pounds. (It's my favorite fish...pure white meat that tastes even better than shark, which I also love.)

If you have a chance to get dressed up for some great eating in Anchorage, you have to go to the Glacier Brewhouse on 5th Avenue and get either the Bering Sea King Crab Legs or Seared Ahi will thank me later! :-)
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS
We stayed at Denali RV park just up the road from Denali. We drive thru the campgrounds at the national park, very nice however their maybe very few spaces for a 40' motohome. You might have already heard, bet get a copy of Milepost, great source of information for the drive up. We went in 2012 and hit snow in late May on the way up, and when they say the RV parks open in May, they mean the last part of May. Stock up on food supplies since they are high cost along the ALCAN, when we went, $8 a gallon for milk at Whitehorse.
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days,
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
We live if Alaska. all the RV parks around Denali are about the same, gravel parking lots, while you tour the Park. We have stayed inside the park with our Georgetown 35'. A lot of the sites inside the park are pretty small. It is worth the trip into the park on the bus system wherever you stay.
We like to fish Valdez. end of June, early July the pink salmon are in and can be caught from shore. combo charters for salmon and halibut are available too. End of August the silver salmon are running, can usually be caught from shore labor day weekend. River fishing for salmon begins early June for Kings and Sockeye and lasts through July depending on the river. regulations vary greatly with seasons, possession limits and legal tackle. Free regulation brochures are typically available where licenses are sold. fishing guides will know the regs.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
We have made the trip and it is the best. ALCAN is wonderful. The worst road we encountered from San Diego was I-5 in California! All the posts are accurate on Denali, spots are not spacious but everyone is very accommodating, you will do fine. Reservations will help since it is crowded in summer. Once you are in Denali, buses take you everywhere and the tour guides are great, wild life is incredible. We fished around the Kenai, and in the ocean on charters out of Nanilchek. Valdez as recommended is great and is breathtakingly beautiful. No issue finding fuel or places to stay anywhere. Jealous, want to go again.
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:07 AM   #8
Thank you for your reply. We're looking forward to our trip and I've received some good information from my post on the forum.

2014 - 240 days of camping
2015 - 210 days of camping
2016 - 150 days of camping so far
RNuzzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
Thought maybe I'd bypass the AlCan and go by Alaskan Marine Highway, but they told me the ferry connections from Seattle to Valdez total about $13,000 RT. Pardner, that's a lot of money to pay, just so I can bring my shootin' arns with me, and maybe avoid wear 'n tear on the bus. Also, you can have a problem on the ferry boats with the bus bottoming out on the loading ramp, if it's dead high or dead low tide.

Roger the beautiful part. In 2011, we did a Holland America cruise tour with two days in Denali, and as the younger folks say, it was awesome.

Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote