Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Alignment issues 2012 Berkshire

Has any one had an alignment issue? I have had to replace both front tires, because the outside edge of both tires were worn down to nothing. I saw the steel belt showing through. The toe in was at +.58 on one tire and .60 for the other. total toe in was +1.17 (Standard is -0.05 to +0.14) FR is saying that the alignment was fine leaving the factory. Freightliner did the alignment and said there was no damage. Just needed the alignment. Also said it looked like it had always been set that way.

I have always checked the pressure, but never thought to check the tread depth every time. I just glanced at the tires and saw deep grooves in the tire and didn't think about it.

My question is: Do I have any recourse with FR over a bad alignment? Am I out the money for 2 new tires and the alignment even though I am still in the warranty period??

I also had it in the shop Aug 2012 for a noise in the front while driving down the road. At that time they checked the front bearings and probably never checked the alignment. When I took it to freightliner for the alignment with the new tires, he said he could tell from the noise the tires were making it was out of alignment.

Have been talking to Forest River, but they don't seem very responsive as of yet.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

2012 Forest River Berkshire
jkierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #2

have you hit any large pot holes or bumps? alignments can go bad very easily... your normal car is the same way; you could leave the alignment shop, hit a pothole hard enough 1 block away and will need an alignment right then...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Nothing that I can think of. But even with hitting a pothole I would only expect 1 tire to be off, not both.

Jerry
390fl
Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

how long has it been since you last got an alignment? do you check your tires visually often? you should be able to see uneven wear way before it cords and get an alignment to correct it then...
Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Guess I should have mentioned that it is a new coach (2012) with less than 12000 miles. I wouldn't think that I should have to be thinking about an alignment yet.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

yikes.. less than 12,000 miles.. that is an issue...

did you buy direct or from a dealer?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #7

A dealer, but I am a long way away from him, heading in a different direction.
I am still talking to the rep at Forest River, but so far it doesn't sound good.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #8

Forest River has nothing to do with the alignment of the front end. Freightliner built the chassis including all front end components and deliver the finished chassis to RF. All FR does is build on the chassis Freightliner sent. If you want to try and lay blame and recoup costs you'll have to go against Freightliner - Good Luck!

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Frequent tire inspections will keep this from occurring even on brand new vehicles as you found out. An expensive lesson, but life goes on. You can use something as simple as a toothpick or a penny to measure tread depth across a tire. If it is wearing in the center more than the outer edges, it is over inflated. If they are wearing on one edge only, get it aligned. If they are wearing both edges evenly, they are under inflated.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Forest River has nothing to do with the alignment of the front end. Freightliner built the chassis including all front end components and deliver the finished chassis to RF. All FR does is build on the chassis Freightliner sent. If you want to try and lay blame and recoup costs you'll have to go against Freightliner - Good Luck!
As far as I know, Forest River is supposed to do an alignment on the coach before it leaves the factory. While Freightliner may do an alignment, Forest River should re-align the coach after it is built on the chassis. After putting everything that goes into building the coach on the chassis, the alignment is sure to have changed.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
As far as I know, Forest River is supposed to do an alignment on the coach before it leaves the factory. While Freightliner may do an alignment, Forest River should re-align the coach after it is built on the chassis. After putting everything that goes into building the coach on the chassis, the alignment is sure to have changed.
And this is written where? Unless the chassis is severely overloaded, the alignment should not change, especially the toe in, toe out. The caster/camber might change a little, but not enough to wear tires out in 12,000 miles. JMO.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #12

I don't remember where I saw it or if someone at Forest River said it to me, but I was told that Forest River aligns their coaches after they are built and before they leave the factory.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #13

FR says they do the last alignment before it leaves the factory. I have hit nothing that I can recall, but that doesn't explain why both tires are toed in over 1/2 inch out of standard. I shouldn't have to worry about an alignment with under 12000 miles.