Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
If plugged into shore power, does it matter if the battery switches in the battery compartments are turned off or on?
In my GT 378 if the batteries are disconnected (storage mode) they are not being charged while on shore power. I have a rocker switch (momentary up and down with center detent) that is illuminated when shore power is applied but it is not an indication that the batteries are tied to the bus. I must actuate the switch to the momentary connected side (up) to insure the battery is connected. It doesn't matter if the switch is off or on when on shore power (converter will provide 12 volts to the coach) but the batteries will not charge if not selected to on. This is how my unit functions. P.S. Genset same as shore power.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #22

I leave my coach plugged in 24/7 at the house so never turn the batteries off. The only reason I can think of to turn the batteries off is if you are storing the coach and not plugged in....

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #23

If you have a 12 VDC receptacle in your trailer , go and get you a plug-in 12 VDC monitor and plug it in. I keep my plugged in all the time. It usually reads 13.6 to 13.2 VDC. I usually keep my trailer plugged in shore power even in storage. Also, out camping without plug-in power, it will show when you need to recharge the batteries.
utahlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #24

I had an extra half hour yesterday, so I measured the voltage across the chassis batteries whilst attached to shore power. I did have a couple of radios plugged in a playing in the coach, so I'm not sure if the inverter/charger was at that moment giving priority to the house batteries.
I got a reading of 12.85v and feel good about that since it was sitting for two weeks with some temps of zero reached. I'm pretty confident they get a charge when the house batteries are topped off.

Thanks for all the replies !!

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery