Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

flyr1 -

Forget the Fleetwood - have you seen the 2011 Forest River Charleston 430BH? Wow..

It must be new for 2011 - I didn't know there was a Bunkhouse version of the Charleston before..

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarzano View Post
flyr1 -

I sent you a PM - but thought I would put some of my thoughts here as well..

I think the Fleetwood has 1 advantage over the 390BH.

- Residential Fridge (Its just more what most folks are used to vs. the LP unit. Nothing wrong with the LP unit - just the residential is easier - IMHO).

One thing that concerned me on the Fleetwood was the full length slide. It just seemed long and I worried about it holding up. On the flip side the 390BH has 4 slides - so I guess there are more that could break.. :-)

If you haven't seen a 390BH yet - there is one at Toscano is Gilroy. (I saw it on the way back from Monterey yesterday).

We have had our unit for 6 months now - and still like it alot. I don't regret purchasing this over the Fleetwood. This was our first RV - so we feel that we got a lot of bang for our buck with this unit. The Fleetwood - *may* be put together a tiny bit better - but since I don't own one - I can't actually confirm that. Fleetwood was coming out of bankruptcy when we bought the 390 and did NOT have any 2010 units available at the time (only left over 2009) units - so that was a bit of a turn off as well.

We have not had any problems getting warranty repairs and the like here in San Jose. Forest River has been very good about taking care of things.

Let us know what you decide..

Good Luck and Welcome!

Alex

amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #12

I did see the 390BH at Toscano in Gilroy. That was the first one I looked at. I was pretty impressed. It is the 390BH-40 with 5000# towing capacity. Still looking for the 390-BH-60. There seems to be quite a few available.

I am still also considering the Fleetwood Discovery. I am having a little problem with the price though. Even though the MSRP's are close between the Berkshire and Discovery, there is less discounting going on with the Discovery. Not a completely apples to apples comparison though as that has been pointed out on the forum.

I spoke with a another dealer yesterday and he told me that they hardly sell new any more. Mostly used consignment sales and rentals now. He thought people are looking more at used to get a better deal since there are many late models selling well below blue book values. He showed me some examples...not good if you are the guy selling. I know this will be shocking to all RV owners but he pointed out that once you drive off the lot that RV just lost 15-20% of its value right there without putting any miles on it.

It is good to hear that you are still happy with your purchase. Do you have to take the RV to a Forrest River dealer for service/warranty work or do you just find whatever shop you like?

My quest continues.

Thanks.

Quote:
flyr1 -

I sent you a PM - but thought I would put some of my thoughts here as well..

I think the Fleetwood has 1 advantage over the 390BH.

- Residential Fridge (Its just more what most folks are used to vs. the LP unit. Nothing wrong with the LP unit - just the residential is easier - IMHO).

One thing that concerned me on the Fleetwood was the full length slide. It just seemed long and I worried about it holding up. On the flip side the 390BH has 4 slides - so I guess there are more that could break.. :-)

If you haven't seen a 390BH yet - there is one at Toscano is Gilroy. (I saw it on the way back from Monterey yesterday).

We have had our unit for 6 months now - and still like it alot. I don't regret purchasing this over the Fleetwood. This was our first RV - so we feel that we got a lot of bang for our buck with this unit. The Fleetwood - *may* be put together a tiny bit better - but since I don't own one - I can't actually confirm that. Fleetwood was coming out of bankruptcy when we bought the 390 and did NOT have any 2010 units available at the time (only left over 2009) units - so that was a bit of a turn off as well.

We have not had any problems getting warranty repairs and the like here in San Jose. Forest River has been very good about taking care of things.

Let us know what you decide..

Good Luck and Welcome!

Alex

Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #13

I have not seen one. It looks like I have more to read about now. I don't think I want bigger than a 40 footer though.

Quote:
flyr1 -

Forget the Fleetwood - have you seen the 2011 Forest River Charleston 430BH? Wow..

It must be new for 2011 - I didn't know there was a Bunkhouse version of the Charleston before..

Alex

Tags
berkshire