Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh
Another Weird Problem

I wonder if any of you have come across this little beauty. When we drive with the lights on our side cameras and back up camera don't work. If I put on the right signal the left camera comes on and stays on. No matter what I do the left camera comes on. The folks at Buffalo RV tell me it's because Forest River bought a bunch of cheap switches from China and that's causing the problem. Either way it is just strange.

2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
That IS very strange. Does everything work normally when the lights are off? Did this just start happening? It could be some type of short that is only a problem with the lights on. Just guessing though. Good luck and let us know what the problem was when you get it fixed.

Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
These type of symptoms often indicate a bad ground connection somewhere, especially if it is a new development.

VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
I had a miswired brake wire which runs through a relay and it affected my lights and video. Ford chassis, but wired by FR.
2010 373DS
Master Tow with 2008 Nissan Altima
bresdogsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh
From what Buffalo RV is telling me the problem is with the side marker lights and the wiring of them. When the lights are off there is no issue. Both side cameras and back up cameras work just fine. As soon as I turn the headlights on the only camera that comes on is the left side camera and it just stays on. If I turn the lights off then everything works normally again. Add to that the gremlins that live in our step and you have some weird situations. The only real problems we've had with our unit are more along the lines of annoyances rather than major league problems. I guess I should knock on wood with that statement.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
I have a Georgetown that develops a similar problem only when it is raining hard. My backup camera starts coming on whenever I step on the brakes, activate a turn signal, or turn on the headlights. Obviously a cross-wired grounding problem which I thought might be in my trailer harness...but have not found the cause/solution yet!

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
I had a similar situation - cameras didn't work when headlights were on. It was determined that a bad fuse combined with faulty map light [which runs through the headlight switch] wiring were causing the problem.

mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote