Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Answers on installing a 3rd AC on a 2018 Berkshire

I emailed Berkshire's Warranty Service Center about if it was possible to add a 3rd AC unit in the 2018 model that we are considering.

I was told "In short, Yes". In short because the cabin frame or cage if you will is built and framed out with proper reinforcements to handle an additional unit.

However, (always seems to be a However) upon receiving positive news. Anyway, I was told that the challenge would be in running power to the added unit. Seems that the wire harnesses are run down both sides of the ceiling at the wall. However, wiring is not run to the 3rd AC mounting point unless the coach is ordered with the 3rd unit AC/10K generator option. With the ceiling insulation being block foam fishing a wire through to the 3rd AC location would be a difficult task. Also since this added unit was not ordered as a factory added option it would not and could not be added to the current touch screen control system.

This is not a installation that the Berkshire Service Center will undertake since it only has 2 service bays to handle all warranty work.

Having a third AC unit installed by any other shop in my mind would not be in my better interest since it involves cutting through the roof which could end up voiding some part of the structural coverage warranty.

My option at this point would be to use one of the small portable AC units and vent it out a window when parked.
OR
I have thought about adding a basement AC unit using the furnace ducting to feed the conditioned air into the cabin.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I emailed Berkshire's Warranty Service Center about if it was possible to add a 3rd AC unit in the 2018 model that we are considering.

I was told "In short, Yes". In short because the cabin frame or cage if you will is built and framed out with proper reinforcements to handle an additional unit.

However, (always seems to be a However) upon receiving positive news. Anyway, I was told that the challenge would be in running power to the added unit. Seems that the wire harnesses are run down both sides of the ceiling at the wall. However, wiring is not run to the 3rd AC mounting point unless the coach is ordered with the 3rd unit AC/10K generator option. With the ceiling insulation being block foam fishing a wire through to the 3rd AC location would be a difficult task. Also since this added unit was not ordered as a factory added option it would not and could not be added to the current touch screen control system.

This is not a installation that the Berkshire Service Center will undertake since it only has 2 service bays to handle all warranty work.

Having a third AC unit installed by any other shop in my mind would not be in my better interest since it involves cutting through the roof which could end up voiding some part of the structural coverage warranty.

My option at this point would be to use one of the small portable AC units and vent it out a window when parked.
OR
I have thought about adding a basement AC unit using the furnace ducting to feed the conditioned air into the cabin.
Do you have a XL model ?
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

The coolness is something we manage by using the sunshades, awning, night shades and have learned to start the ac units a bit before we actually feel hot. Don’t leave the door open, etc. It wont freeze the butter on the table but we’ve been comfortable in over 100 degree heat a number of times. A third unit sure would make it easier on the other two, thats for sure.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Do you have a XL model ?
Yes, an XL model.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

We were looking at possibilities for adding a 2nd A/C unit to our Class 32' Forester. Like Igave said, there are lots of ways to help prevent the coach from heating up too much, including starting the AC early on hot days. With only 30A service now (we had 50A and 3 AC's in our Tiffin Allegro Bus) it is a challenge. Like Ronjen mentioned, we are also looking at adding a portable unit. And connecting it directly to the 15/20A receptacle on the pedestal, and so running our single roof unit on 30A and not conflicting with a portable unit.

Finding floor space is another concern in this 32' coach... we decided it could sit on the step just above the kitchen and before the bath (in front of the pantry) when in use and we could vent it thru a custom port cut in the sidewall next to the bed and just below the main cabin slideout. I ordered a Dryer Wall Vent from dryerwallvent.com which will sit neatly and unobstrusively mounted on the outside and poke thru to the inside in the small open wall space. The A/C we are looking to use is the Frigidaire FGPC1244T1 available from amazon Prime. This unit has a 4" vent hose (rather 5 or 6 like most others) which is 5' long and can come out the back and lay on the floor in front of the bath sink when in use and should mate up neatly with a floor level interface on the inside:
www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4RUEUI/

and beside it install an outdoor receptacle like this one:
www.amazon.com/dp/B000NV0V8C/

I think we have thought it all thru and hope to pull the trigger and get this thing up and running when we get back home in mid may from our current trip. We welcome any comments, ideas or suggestions as well.

I am planning to post photos and all links again when the job is complete.

Joe
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

I realize your talking of adding a air conditioner to a motorhome that is not wired for one. It can be done if you truly want that, but you may have to forgo the overall looks of your unit. I added a 15K unit to our 5th wheel travel trailer that was not wired for one from the factory. I ran the wiring through the floor of our bedroom, up the inside wall and across the ceiling, covered the wiring with stick on cable conduit sold at Lowes. The color of the conduit blends in with the color of the wall and is not so noticeable. I also had to add a separate 20 amp. circuit breaker and a additional power cord. I use 50 amp. power at power pole, split into to two 30 amp. circuits by using a Y cord adapter. If your MH already uses 50 amp, then run the additional power cord to the 30 amp connection on campground power box. I gave up the perfect looking bedroom wall that no one will ever see except for my wife and I for 15K BTU's of cold air in our bedroom. We have to run it on low or it gets cold enough to hang meat in there at night.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
BobbyJ

All good replies. One more thing to consider: The problem too is exacerbated by the fact that the rear AC satisfies the bedroom then shuts down leaving the front AC to do all the work. To get your coach cool you must turn the thermostat down enough (in the bedroom) to keep it running while using a fan to move the cool air to the larger section of the coach.

BobbyJ
State College, PA
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #8

even if you get the third AC you can't run all three at one time on your 50 amp service. you must add an additional power cord and run it to a separate plug on the power . pedestal
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
even if you get the third AC you can't run all three at one time on your 50 amp service. you must add an additional power cord and run it to a separate plug on the power . pedestal

You my friend are completely wrong. My 2018 Cardinal came with three Dometic AC’s. 2, 13K and 1, 15K heat pump. 50 amp service will run all 3 along with 22cf fridge, converter and 12 gal electric water heater not to mention 2/3 TVs on to.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
You my friend are completely wrong. My 2018 Cardinal came with three Dometic AC’s. 2, 13K and 1, 15K heat pump. 50 amp service will run all 3 along with 22cf fridge, converter and 12 gal electric water heater not to mention 2/3 TVs on to.
In theory, yes. The odds of two, or three large items on the same leg STARTING at the same time are small. But IF they do you may pop a breaker. It also needs to be properly balanced over the two legs.

Adding soft start technology to the AC's would be a good idea here.

For the math..... A running AC is 12A, x 3= 36 WH is about that too, = 48, fridge is 7 = 56, charger if busy another 10 there's 66A..... room to spare.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post
All good replies. One more thing to consider: The problem too is exacerbated by the fact that the rear AC satisfies the bedroom then shuts down leaving the front AC to do all the work. To get your coach cool you must turn the thermostat down enough (in the bedroom) to keep it running while using a fan to move the cool air to the larger section of the coach.

BobbyJ
State College, PA
On my 38A I run the bedroom 2º cooler than the front. That seems to work.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Well my friend I am sorry I was referencing the new Cedar Creeks that can be ordered with three AC's but you can only run two at one time with the power management system that is installed in them
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
As long as they are split on the 2 legs of your 50A service you can indeed run all three... we did for many years in our 43' Allegro Bus. Remember a 50A service in an RV is actually 2x50A (across the two legs) for a total of 100A capability.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Well my friend I am sorry I was referencing the new Cedar Creeks that can be ordered with three AC's but you can only run two at one time with the power management system that is installed in them
A restriction installed by the manufacturer. Easily remedied.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #15

All 3 running now. Outside temp 91.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7526.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	204805
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
All 3 running now. Outside temp 91.Attachment 204805
Have photos of the installation?
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
To add to this my 2018 Landmark Louisville has 3 15 K but AC's and I can run all three on 50 amp service or any two on 30 amp service. I have a Progressive power management system on my coach that looks after everything.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
A restriction installed by the manufacturer. Easily remedied.
Exactly! the EMS just needs some re programming to make it do what you want!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire