Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #21

Do you have the roof-mounted satellite dish (or at least prep for one?) We used that conduit to snake our WiFiranger coax into the coach. Put the router in the same compartment as the Dish controller and hooked it up to 12V so it could stay powered when we were rolling down the road without the generator being on.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #22

Bob,
I have the prep for the dish, and considered using it for my cell phone booster, but decided against it, because it is best to have the maximum distance between the booster antenna on the outside and the small antenna that you put next to your phone. I'm not sure if this distance rule makes sense for a wifi booster, if the wifi booster is ethernet wired to your router.

The distance issue is to keep the two antennas from feeding back to each other. the WeBoost degrades the power if it sees feedback.

-Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #23

yes I have a satellite dish it is at the front the cable is thru the roof liner to TV area. Couldn't see how I could get the wire to mid ship area from the roof at the satellite dish area. I'm thinking of going thru the roof down to the closet in the back. Has anyone ever did that one?
matt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #24

I have snaked many a cable for long distances through TV attack space. The trick is to drop light fixtures, vent shrouds, speakers, etc and utilize those openings for your fishtape.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Bob,
I have the prep for the dish, and considered using it for my cell phone booster, but decided against it, because it is best to have the maximum distance between the booster antenna on the outside and the small antenna that you put next to your phone. I'm not sure if this distance rule makes sense for a wifi booster, if the wifi booster is ethernet wired to your router.

The distance issue is to keep the two antennas from feeding back to each other. the WeBoost degrades the power if it sees feedback.
Gordon,

Have you seen where WeBoost has JUST released a booster setup specifically for RVs? [https://store.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv]
If you have the 4GX already, it is just a antenna swap out (inside & outside) - and the new outside antenna does NOT need a metal base plate

You can also upgrade your indoor antenna to a wall mount instead of the desktop one included with the new unit.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt58 View Post
yes I have a satellite dish it is at the front the cable is thru the roof liner to TV area. Couldn't see how I could get the wire to mid ship area from the roof at the satellite dish area. I'm thinking of going thru the roof down to the closet in the back. Has anyone ever did that one?
Hi Matt,

The rear cap on the Berk is Hollow. You can drill a hole in the top of the cap, drop your cable and come in through the back of the closet or up through the floor. I did this with my solar install. Cover plate from eBay is to cover TV cables through roof.
Attached Images

silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Gordon,

Have you seen where WeBoost has JUST released a booster setup specifically for RVs? [https://store.weboost.com/products/drive-4g-x-rv]
If you have the 4GX already, it is just a antenna swap out (inside & outside) - and the new outside antenna does NOT need a metal base plate

You can also upgrade your indoor antenna to a wall mount instead of the desktop one included with the new unit.
Bob,
That's a new one for me. Thanks for the heads up.

But, I prefer the setup that I have. I can't see what RV antenna that they provide with the standard 4GX Drive kit, with the extra outside antenna. Mine is pretty sophisticated. It has a base loading coil and two sets of 3 lateral antenna parts (I forget the name), that define a horizontal plane. So, the outdoor antenna is probably the best I can get. Just had to work to mount it properly, so I dreamed up the pipe system.

The standard indoor antenna for the 4GX is better for me than an omnidirectional antenna that is mounted in place. Mine comes on a long wire (about 6 feet or so), that I can put anywhere in the driver area, the sofa or the kitchen table. When the signals are weak, I put it right next to my phone or iPad. This allows the phone or iPad to communicate with the indoor antenna using a minimal power level. The minimal power level reduces the risk of feedback with the outdoor antenna when it is searching for a weak signal.

I don't always see a gain with this system, but it is noticeable when the signal is very weak.

I can take the 4GX off the wall and put it in my toad for when we drive around.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #28

I have decided I'm going thru the front passenger side roof after finding out I can just cut the cable input and reattach it back, to be able to get the cable thru the roof. I just didn't want to tear up the unit and have a eye sore. I want to thank all forums members for your help. This will be my second year own the 2016 34QS looking forward too using it more this summer after being storage.
matt58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roo, roof