Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Any advice on getting a good tire gauge that will reach the inside rear tires stems?

Hello folks,

I am picking up our new 2017 Berkshire XL 40 on the 13th and I want to be ready for my (solo) 2200 miles trip home from Grand Rapids Michigan to Southern California. I don't trust the dealer to have set the proper tire pressure for the correct weight (the MH will basically be empty except for fluids) and me, so I will probably set the pressure at either 100-90 or 105-95 until I find a scale to verify the weight. Interestingly enough, CAT scales won't do individual wheel weighting claiming it might damage the MH, so I will measure axle weight and use the Michelin chart to figure out the right pressure.
Am I on the right track?

I also would like to purchase an accurate gauge that will reach the inside tires valve stem. What are your folks using?

I am new to RV, so I definitively appreciate any feedback and advice your folks can provide.

I love this forum, it is an amazing source of information thank you everyone for all your support this far. You all have been great.

PS. If you see Bershire XL in English Burgundy livery (white and black front with red, white and grey sides) driving on i96, or i80, or i70 going west, give a wave and a toot....if I am parked on the side of the road with flashers on, please help...
Cheers,

2017 Berkshire XL40BH-380
Chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

You are on the right track. There is a cat scale less that a mile from Moho2go. 131 and 76 street. It's called 76 street truck stop. Are you staying in the area for a few days? I strongly suggest staying for a few days. Checking all the systems out to make sure it's all working before you get to far.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Thanks Phil, unfortunately I am on tight schedule, I need to be home Sunday evening...., I am however planning to spend as much time as I need at the dealership to fully understand and operate all the systems before I go.

Whatever issues surface while on the road will have to be addressed by the local dealer in SoCal if they are not issues that live me stranded.

I have spend 40 years around boats as a professional captain and like Mh's boats breakdown a lot, so I don't have unrealistic expectations....

Thank you for the tip for the CAT scales, I will definitely stop there on my way.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

Hi
Congratulations on your new motor home. I hope you have a flawless trip back to CA.
I purchased a digital tire pressure gauge from Tire Minder ( Company is Minder Research in Florida). It comes with 2extension tips and works well on my Berkshire.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #5

Just going through the Camp Freightliner class Mike Cody the facilitator highly recommended the "Milton 976" tire pressure gauge. Guaranteed to be accurate to 2%. Under $20.00 on Amazon.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

Jacques - Your rear wheels should already have air line extensions. You are on the right track for your concern about tire pressure and weight. I suggest that you set your pressure in accordance to the weight/pressure chart for your particular model/size tires, from the manufacturers specifications.

I have heard that some of the cheapo digital gauges are more accurate then expensive analog types. This is because the digital manufacture can more easily insert corrections into the gauge. You might also consider a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) at some point.

Don't be surprised if your local FR dealer in CA is reluctant to do warranty work. Good luck and many happy miles and experiences with your new motorhome.
Hank
Old 07-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post

Don't be surprised if your local FR dealer in CA is reluctant to do warranty work. Good luck and many happy miles and experiences with your new motorhome.

Hank

If the local dealer has issues with where you bought the rig one quick call to Diesel Division should bring them around quickly.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

Now I am worried about getting warranty work done at the local dealer. I assumed that RV dealers worked like automotive dealers and performed warranty work regardless of where the vehicle was purchased. It looks like by the posts I received that I was wrong.

I will call FR diesel division on Tuesday and found out what their position is, I might call the service department of local dealer as well and introduce myself and see how well that goes.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

do a Extra through PDI insp and have all discrepancies fixed before you sign and pay for the rig, Once you sign and pay it is yours. Take plenty of time and spend a couple of days in the unit before leaving for home, once again when you leave it is yours. good luck with your new MH
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #10

Hi Jacques,
Good Luck on your PDI! Have a pad of paper and a roll of blue painter's tape ready. Any issues you find or want to ask about put a small piece of the blue tape on it and note it on your pad. That way it doesn't get forgotten during the very LONG and very overwhelming PDI. Also remember to bring a DVD with you so you can check the DVD player.
We are all here and willing to help at any time.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #11

I bought a trucker gauge at a truck stop and it works great.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #12

x2 on the trucker's gauge.

I bought mine at a truck stop. It has a long handle, can be used by pushing it or by pulling it, heavy duty, and it cost a lot of money. I've used mine for years without any problems and it's accuracy has remained constant.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunci View Post
If the local dealer has issues with where you bought the rig one quick call to Diesel Division should bring them around quickly.
Sorry Bunci, but I have been rejected by an FR dealer for service, even after getting Randy involved. FR allows certain labor times and for each repair type. My rejecting dealer said they would need more time then allowed and if I purchased there they would have comp'ed the difference and I suppose with the hopes of my being a future customer. FR doesn't necessarily have an upper hand on the dealers, as I found out.
Hank
Old 07-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #14

tire gage...

I second the previous comment regarding Mike Coty from Freightliner Custom Chassis. He recommended: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another big gotcha from the Camp Freightliner Class: Always measure your tire pressures cold and out of the sun. With these big tires, the sun affects the pressure significantly very quickly.

Carl
2015 Charleston 430BH
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #15

Dealer unwillingness to service units not purchased from them

Well, this might kill my deal, I just called Holland RV in San Marco, Ca and the sales guy was very upfront on telling me that they only service their customers and don't take outside work...he explained that warranty work in RV does not work like the automobile industry. Typical repair cost covered by FR will come short to the actual dealer cost, so the dealer will eat the difference to keep their customers happy but will not do it for someone like me that got the RV out of state. The reason I got it out of state was that the local dealer did not have the unit I wanted and were not willing to work on price to get one. It is really a shame that FR does not have a better reimbursement system to handle their warranty claims...I hate being held hostage by dealers to either buy from them or not get serviced....

Old 07-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #16

Some dealers will accept a "one time set up" fee...$200 or so from customers who bought their RVs elsewhere. You would need to talk to dealer Service Manager or above on this.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #17

Jacques - Keep in mind that the FR warranty is only for a year. The Freightliner and Allison warranties are covered by those manufacturer dealers. Price is a powerful incentive to buy afar. I purchased 1,000 miles away.
Hank
Old 07-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #18

I have 3 or 4 tire gauges that work ok,,, but on our Sunseeker the stem is flexible,,, I found I must hold it with needle nose plyers !!! Or loose more air than I added !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #19

Do try to find one that hold its reading,,, Truck Shop would be your best bet !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #20

Why worry about where you get warrantee done--if you are traveling good chance you not be at your local dealer anyway.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires