Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Any Berkshire Owner in Homer, AK?

We are currently in Homer, AK, in a rented Class C and I see a Berkshire just two rigs down from me. It has Florida plates. I was wondering if it is any of our fellow Forum members.

When I get back I'll post what it is like to rent a rig and travel Alaska. We thought about driving our own, but decided against it due to time constraints and a concern about damage to the unit.

Ed
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #2

Ed,
Hope you are having a great time in the North.

Have a safe trip home and don't forget to post some pics.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Tom,

It's gorgeous up here but oh has it been raining! We did the Discovery river boat ride in Fairbanks and the narrator was saying that Fairbanks is in a Sub Arctic Desert. Well, it rained for four days in the "desert." We head home on Friday via Anchorage, Seattle, and Chicago. It's been a fun trip but being used to a 40' diesel and cramming the four of us into a 30' C has been an experience.

Ed
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #4

Ed,
how come you didnt drive your coach up north, I would think that would be a great part of the trip. Is there that much damage that occurs to the rigs on the drive up. I am asking because we want to go up north.

scott
Scokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Scokat,

We gave some real serious thought to driving our rig up here. It just boiled down to not enough time to make the trip and take that much time off work. We would have to allow an extra two to three weeks for the trip and I can't take that much time away from my practice right now. Also the cost factor came into play. We got round trip air for $600 each and we figured we would spend about $5,000 in fuel just to get up here and then back home. The final telling blow was the condition of the road. The AlCan between Whitehorse and Tok is really bad from all reports we got. There are stretches of 20 and 30 miles that are gravel due to construction and speeds over 30 MPH can result in broken axels and other damage. Almost everyone I've talked to has said that they have gotten stone chips in either their windshield or front cap or both.

Sorry I didn't mean to go on and on, but I wanted to answer your question.

Ed

Tags
berkshire