Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #21

Just got ours, 2013 bunk house. It was a newer model with factory upgrades. The dealer told me the front A/C is a 15 and the rears a 13. Unfortunately it hasnt got hot enough to fully test. Did run the front unit for about 20 minutes and it seemed to work well but its nowhere near hot temps yet in So Cal. Will update when weather gets hotter.
SkrapMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #22

We purchased a newer model 2013 Berkshire 390BH in Feb and just took a trip to the desert. Temps were about 90 degrees in the day time and both 13,500 A/C units ran all day and could barely keep the coach at 78 degree's. So,my experience is the 13,500's are under rated for this size MH. I'm going to look into purchasing a cover for the front windshield to see how muchthat helps.
DannyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #23

A poster recommended getting a product that I think is called 'flextrix' at Lowes and putting inside the front windshield. It is a foil covered bubble wrap and is supposed to really help quite a lot. I am going top purchase some as soon as I get a chance.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
A poster recommended getting a product that I think is called 'flextrix' at Lowes and putting inside the front windshield. It is a foil covered bubble wrap and is supposed to really help quite a lot. I am going top purchase some as soon as I get a chance.
Google this. reflectix duct wrap lowes. It will show you what to get. I cut a piece for the windshield , driver side window and the small triangle shape window at the door. I put it close to the glass then pull the night shades down. It makes a huge difference summer and the winter. I haven't tried it on the insulated glass windows as I'm not sure if it would be safe for them. Maybe someone could weigh in on that.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #25

Here is a link. http://m.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-BP...ductId=3011906
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #26

So talking to the grandparents the other day (RV'ers for over 20 years) on the discussion of keeping the coach cool. One key factor among many is keeping that big front windshield covered with any of the available products on the market. He also mentioned something else that makes sense and I'll have to try. Really a sacrafice but not the worst thing, but closing the slides facicing the sun. He swears he can keep his down another 5 to 10 degrees doing so. Only when the a/c's cant keep the unbearable heat out though. Somehow grandparents never seem to be wrong and are a library full of knowlage. Wish we could keep them around for ever.
SkrapMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #27

We have a 2013 390BH that we got in January. We live in Texas and have had a couple of days approaching 90F with high humidity so far. When we first got the coach, I was quite concerned about this as well - particularly with the heat coming in through the windshield - even with the interior sunshade in place. One step we took was to install an exterior shade on the windshield and front driver's side window. My wife made them essentially as clones of the ones from MagneShade for significantly less money - maybe $250 for both. They have made a significant difference in keeping the front of the coach from overheating. With that, I feel the 2 smaller AC units will be okay. I'd love a third, but suspect it won't be a big deal. We keep the coach around 74-75F during the day and 70F for sleeping. We have found that for rapid cooling, opening the main dump vent on the unit works very well, then closing it to utilize the ducts maintains temps well. I do wish the units were a bit quieter, but such is life!

Now in the 100F, high humidity summer, we may change our opinion...
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote