Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankatp View Post
We just bought a new 390FL with the 2-135000's on it. We live down here in Fla but havent had the warm weather yet to really answer your question. I sure hope what you were told by the dealer is true and the new ones are more efficient. I'll let you know.
More efficient doesn't usually mean better cooling. Most often it's the opposite. I would highly recommend getting foil sided bubble wrap and put it on the windshield and driver side window. It makes a huge difference. From what I understand you can only put it on the single pane windows. I found it in the duct work isle at lowes. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #12

Here is a link to lowes web site. This is the stuff I used.

http://m.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-BP...ductId=3011906

Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #13

We had the same issues you are discussing. Two 13,500 Dometic Penguin A/C units that ran constantly trying to keep the coach cool in hot weather. At 90° we were lucky to get the coach cooled down to 78° in sunny weather.

We just returned from 6 weeks in south Florida and while down there I camped next to a guy who had purchased solar covers for his windshield and side windows a few week before. He told me that they made a huge difference and that for the first time since buying his coach he was able to keep it cool in the hot sunny Florida weather.

I decided that it was time for me to make the same purchase and get the solar covers. I purchased windshield, side windows and an awning drop. I did and had the opportunity to see first hand that they work. We had several day's where the temps hit 86° with full sun and we were able to keep the coach a cool 74°. The A/C unit only ran about 20 min out of every hour to maintain the 74° temp.

At a cost of about $700 for everything it wasen't cheap, but they work! Here is what they look like.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #14

Hey Mark, the covers look good. How are they held on? Frank
Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankatp View Post
Hey Mark, the covers look good. How are they held on? Frank
Frank, the windshield can be put on from the ground and is held on with 3" suction cups. One on each side. The one on the drivers side has a rubber strap that you pull and then stick onto the window. Keeps the Windshield cover tight and wrinkle free. The side covers are also held on with suction cups on the top and bottom. There is a rigid aluminum bar sewn into the sides that the suction cups attach to. I had the driver side made so that the suction cups were on the top and bottom which requires a ladder to put on. I carry a ladder with me so it's no big deal. Made by Prompt sunscreen in Winter Haven, FL

The awning shade is two piece. The top section, 4', rolls up with the awning. The bottom piece 6' high zips on. Everything can be done from the ground once you have the 4' top section attached, which you only do once. Made by Sunpro Mfg. I think they are located in Arizona.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
We had the same issues you are discussing. Two 13,500 Dometic Penguin A/C units that ran constantly trying to keep the coach cool in hot weather. At 90° we were lucky to get the coach cooled down to 78° in sunny weather.

We just returned from 6 weeks in south Florida and while down there I camped next to a guy who had purchased solar covers for his windshield and side windows a few week before. He told me that they made a huge difference and that for the first time since buying his coach he was able to keep it cool in the hot sunny Florida weather.

I decided that it was time for me to make the same purchase and get the solar covers. I purchased windshield, side windows and an awning drop. I did and had the opportunity to see first hand that they work. We had several day's where the temps hit 86° with full sun and we were able to keep the coach a cool 74°. The A/C unit only ran about 20 min out of every hour to maintain the 74° temp.

At a cost of about $700 for everything it wasen't cheap, but they work! Here is what they look like.
I really like the setup especially the awning drop. But how does it effect the attomatic awning retract if the wind picks up?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkrapMoney View Post
I really like the setup especially the awning drop. But how does it effect the attomatic awning retract if the wind picks up?
You need to shut off the automatic awning retract. Since it's staked down the awning handles wind well. We had gusts of about 20 MPH and the awning never moved. The fabric did flop around a bit, but nothing major

When there is a chance of rain I unzip the drop and roll in the awning. After the rain passes it's back up in 5 min or less.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post

You need to shut off the automatic awning retract. Since it's staked down the awning handles wind well. We had gusts of about 20 MPH and the awning never moved. The fabric did flop around a bit, but nothing major

When there is a chance of rain I unzip the drop and roll in the awning. After the rain passes it's back up in 5 min or less.
Nice! Im going to look at getting that same setup. I want to try my A/C first to see how it handles being a 15k BTU unit
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Mark, can you see through the curtains or are they opaque?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Mark, can you see through the curtains or are they opaque?
For the coach sunscreens, During the day from the inside you can see out very well, however folks on the outside have a very hard time seeing inside. At night the opposite exists so you must put your night shades down or you will give the folks outside a show!

The awning shade has the same effect. Which ever side has the most light is the side you can see best, if that makes and sense.