Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #41

I've had a Girard for about a month but it suddenly quit working yesterday. It has power and the propane is full, but it won't heat anything. It's been sketchy in the kitchen all along, the shower works great...until yesterday. Anyone have any ideas? It'll be under warranty but I'd rather troubleshoot it, fix it & move on than to wait &/or pay the labor hours to have someone diagnose it.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrebert View Post
I've had a Girard for about a month but it suddenly quit working yesterday. It has power and the propane is full, but it won't heat anything. It's been sketchy in the kitchen all along, the shower works great...until yesterday. Anyone have any ideas? It'll be under warranty but I'd rather troubleshoot it, fix it & move on than to wait &/or pay the labor hours to have someone diagnose it.

Try this- go outside to exterior panel. Look in exhaust. There is a sail switch. On mine I had a problem that the switch the "sail" was connected to needed to be cleaned of dust ect. Once I cleaned it and switched it manually a few times it started right up. I hope that's what it is for you.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #43

That's why when I replaced my hot water heater a month ago I stayed with a Suburban like I had... Read abt too many issues with the tankless ones....
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
That's why when I replaced my hot water heater a month ago I stayed with a Suburban like I had... Read abt too many issues with the tankless ones....

How do you fit a tank type where the tankless was, or did you put it elsewhere and how did you vent it?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #45

I had a Suburban originally and needed to replace it.... I considered a tankless one because there is one that will fit into the existing opening.... BUT - as I researched and read the forums, I came to the conclusion that there were more issues than I was ready to deal with so I just went back with a 10 gal Suburan.... Works great and I'm happy....
Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #46

I wondered that also but I think Ernest had a tank type then replaced it with a tankless and didn't like it so went back to a tank type. Hope I have that right. Still didn't understand why his didn't work. They are a little temperamental but worth it in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I had a Suburban originally and needed to replace it.... I considered a tankless one because there is one that will fit into the existing opening.... BUT - as I researched and read the forums, I came to the conclusion that there were more issues than I was ready to deal with so I just went back with a 10 gal Suburan.... Works great and I'm happy....

Ya what he said.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #48

OK- back to this topic again. I thought I had it set up and working pretty well. On a trip now and my son turned the inside temperature knob. Now I can seem to get it set to the point where the water temperature remains constant. I have adjusted it several times and it still goes from hot to cool and back. Pretty sure that I have all the air out of the system because my wife has done several loads of wash.
Any suggestions as to how to get it back to the point where the water temp stays constant? This thing is starting to drive me crazy!
Thanks for any help.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #49

Tom I had this issue last week and found the exhaust had the fuzz from cotton wood trees. It wasn't letting the little flapper work right. Also I have been dry camping at my sons and using the water pump. I find the water pressure to be more consistent and that as you know makes the WH work much better. We were at a campground that had WP fluctuating and was impossible to keep it a constant temp. I am tempted to use the WP all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #50

Tom
Are you using a pressure regulator on your water hose? We had no hot water when in Colorado so I spoke with tech service. Water flow/pressire must be regulated to get a reasonably constant temp. Also i found out changing campsites getting air in the line would trip the high temp sensor and it would need to be reset before we could get any hot water. Otherwise the system works pretty well. I have 2 other problems. When my step comes in it keeps ratcheting like it has a striped gear but all gear teeth are fine. Need to research more. Other problem is my black tank flush system is plugged up and i have it attached to the water system with constant pressure hoping it will dislodge the jam up. We are now yin Glacier NP arrived today. Just getting set up.
Marty

Tags
heater, tank, water, water heater