Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Atwood Tankless Heater

Just traded my 09 Georgetown 350TS for a 16 Berk 38A. So far we love it but have a question regarding the tankless water heater. During our first outing the hot water was only warm until I turned on more than one tap. Obviously I assume that the tankless system has to have a certain flow to fully heat. Is this correct? Also I did not use the water pump because the pressure seemed to be adequate. Thanks in advance for help.

Regards, Sam
secfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You don't run or use the water pump when hooked to city water, only when your fresh tank has water and city water is not available.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

I should have written that I did not fill the tank and try the water heater with the pump on. My bad.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

I have the Girard heater, but the physics are basically the same as the Atwood. Does your unit have a high/low switch it any adjustment for the temperature rise? Our Legacy has a knob in the front bath that allows for adjustment to the temperature rise for seasonal variance in the incoming water temp. In other words, if the water coming in is at 45F or 85F, you adjust the rise to get to the preferred hot water temp, probably about 105F. The other thing to remember is flow rate. The higher the flow rate, the less time water spends in the heating coil. Turn on the hot water only to full flow. Don't use cold water to adjust the temp. If you want the water warmer, just reduce the flow using the faucet and the water temp will rise. If you can't get it warm enough that way, turn up the temp rise adjustment mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps and makes sense. It's definitely a learning experience.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

In order for the tankless water heaters to work properly, all water lines must be fully "charged". Air bubbles in the lines compromise the pressure in the closed water system which effects how the thermostat works. So make sure hot and cold lines run until the stream is solid (there are no more air bubbles escaping); sinks, shower, outside shower, toilets, and ice maker. Then, as a previous poster indicated, adjust the hot water temperature with your thermostat.
81redbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #6

Conceptumator, Thank you for the information. I will look in the front bath to see if there is an adjustment.

Regards, Sam
Old 08-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by secfan90 View Post
Conceptumator, Thank you for the information. I will look in the front bath to see if there is an adjustment.

Regards, Sam

If your unit has an Atwood as the topic title indicates the temp adjustment is outside on the water heater. Small red dial does the regulating.

Wayne
Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

Wayne,

Thank you I did look to adjust it however I found that the temperature was set correctly when the entire burner pad turned on. Once I got the flow high enough it heated perfectly. When I would turn the shower on by itself only half the heating pad would ignite. Once I turned the sink on (for a few seconds then off) as well the entire pad ignited and everything was great. I have a tankless system in my house and thought it had to have something to do with flow. I guess that we did not have enough at that campground. That is my reasoning however crazy it may sound. I am just glad that it worked.

Regards, Sam
Old 08-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

That does sound like maybe you had air in the lines, since you were able to increase the flow rate by simply bleeding the rest of the system. I know they say this is critical, but I've never had a problem - don't seem to get air in the lines. Here's something I do that might help. When hooking up at the campground, connect the hose to the hydrant first and turn it on until the flow is consistent out of the hose (no air), then connect to the MH. Otherwise, you're just pushing a hose full of air into the system every time you connect. The other poster is correct, also, about the Atwood control being outside. The Girard control is in the front bath cabinet on my Legacy.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #10

Conceptumator, You are absolutely correct. I just realized that I hooked up my water hose without turning it on. Wow! I can't believe that I didn't do that. Thank you! Air in the lines was mentioned earlier and I just didn't think about the hose itself. Sometimes I just need the DA of the day award. LOL

Regards, Sam
Old 08-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Glad to help - no such thing as nothing to be learned! First time we took our new rig out, I called roadside service to the park because the generator wouldn't start (just clicked) and the slides wouldn't come in. Turned out the diesel generator was just priming (my old one was gas and I primed it manually) and the slides wouldn't come in because, when I thought the generator not cranking meant the batteries were dead, I started the engine. Slides were interlocked to the ignition - duh! Have a good one!

Old 08-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #12

Sam as you well know from having a tankless in your house you have to rethink using water. I had a Girard and made FR take it out and put in the Atwood. My only issue as you said was flow I purchased a high flow regulator but have only camped once since then going out in a few weeks for education #2 lol.

Wayne
Old 08-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

My Legacy just spent FIVE weeks at the dealer trying to fix the Girard unit. Hopefully, they finally have everything working. Replaced the flow detector for a second time, the temperature sensor switches, the flame adjustment switch and the winter switch, then replaced the bad faucet in the shower. They have said if I have another problem it will come out and the Atwood will be replacing it, but then they have to have their body shop paint the Atwood door to match the RV. Starting to really miss my old tank style from the other RV!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #14

Curious to who is your dealer
Thanks
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

Lazy Days, Tampa, FL

They were great in the sales department, but it seems every word from the service department is either an outright lie or an excuse as to why they aren't doing anything. I've personally never seen anything like it in my life. Even told them to their faces what a joke it was and they just keep on doing the same, over and over. If I hadn't gotten involved directly with Girard, I doubt they would have the water heater repaired today!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #16

Had that feeling, this Charleston is 2nd coach I've bought from them. Been treated very well. Girard sounds problematic , but some seem to have better luck than others. We'll give it at shot. If no go Atwater is next. FR rep. Told me his not opposed to switching out. So what's different about Atwater? Throw that out to forum.Thank you
Old 08-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #17

Wayne, What did you set your regulator to? I have an adjustable as well but have not used it yet.

Regards, Sam
Old 08-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #18

Sam i bought a non adjustable type I think it is set for 45 psi. Pressure has never been an issue between 45-50 psi. Since Girard kept claiming flow was retarding operation I bought a high flow. Personally I think Girard was retarding operation lol.

Wayne
Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Sam i bought a non adjustable type I think it is set for 45 psi. Pressure has never been an issue between 45-50 psi. Since Girard kept claiming flow was retarding operation I bought a high flow. Personally I think Girard was retarding operation lol.

Wayne
If I may jump in flow is very important , I would go with high flow 50 to 55 those that do say difference is nite an day to operation
Old 08-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #20
7 Year Class A RV'er

Harleydriven: Not sure what's different about the Atwood, other than controls are outside instead of inside. I know the service guy told me he had already swapped out one Girard with an Atwood after the customer had so many problems with the Girard. Kyle Johnston at Girard worked with myself and their service guys until it was fixed - I'll give Kyle an A+ for his efforts there. There is a German brand of heater that I've read about that is supposed to be really, really good. Can't remember the name right now but you can find it in the water heater posts on here. I know it's expensive and you have the same issue with the door needing to be painted to match the RV as you do with the Atwood.

Tags
heater, tank, tankless