Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Auto Gen Start

Anyone know if our late model Berkshires have this feature? Maybe Optional?

Also, about many hours would it take to bring the 4x6 battery array from almost completely discharged to fully charged? (using the genset)

Boowho??

Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

not on my 2013 390bh.

you can always buy the wireless autostart for ~$500-$600 and add it in yourself.

on charging using the stock magnum mm1212 inverter with it's 70 amp charger, you would need 440ah of charging, so that's about 6.5 hrs theoretical.

however, you aren't supposed to run your deep cycle cells down past 50%, so 220ah worth of charging with 70 amps would take a little over 3 hours... theoretically...

ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
not on my 2013 390bh.

you can always buy the wireless autostart for ~$500-$600 and add it in yourself.

on charging using the stock magnum mm1212 inverter with it's 70 amp charger, you would need 440ah of charging, so that's about 6.5 hrs theoretical.

however, you aren't supposed to run your deep cycle cells down past 50%, so 220ah worth of charging with 70 amps would take a little over 3 hours... theoretically...
How do you insert the 30 second prime before kicking the starter with one of these wireless autostarts?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
not on my 2013 390bh.

So... if you swapped out the inverter with one having a higher charging rate you could lower the time appreciably. What would be the maximum charge rate without making the batteries fail prematurely?? I know that very fast charging is not good for them.

I'm trying to get a handle of how often (and for how long) I'd need to run my genset when boondocking. My 4 door dometic fridge has fans that run almost continuously. I have no idea of how much those fans draw.

A BLM campground I'm planning to visit in June only allows gensets to run at certain times of the day, and I think there's also a limit on how long you can run them.

Finally, anyone have any idea of how many hours (roughly..... I mean hundreds of hours, thousands, what??) one of these gensets will run between overhauls.... or be in need of complete replacement??

Boowho??

P.S. Just been looking for a replacement oil filter for the genset..... Finding the correct one is a pain.... The owners manual doesn't appear to have it listed; what's up with that??
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
So... if you swapped out the inverter with one having a higher charging rate you could lower the time appreciably. What would be the maximum charge rate without making the batteries fail prematurely?? I know that very fast charging is not good for them.

I'm trying to get a handle of how often (and for how long) I'd need to run my genset when boondocking. My 4 door dometic fridge has fans that run almost continuously. I have no idea of how much those fans draw.

A BLM campground I'm planning to visit in June only allows gensets to run at certain times of the day, and I think there's also a limit on how long you can run them.

Finally, anyone have any idea of how many hours (roughly..... I mean hundreds of hours, thousands, what??) one of these gensets will run between overhauls.... or be in need of complete replacement??

Boowho??

P.S. Just been looking for a replacement oil filter for the genset..... Finding the correct one is a pain.... The owners manual doesn't appear to have it listed; what's up with that??
fast charging on the batteries will heat them up and boil off water. you may need to invest in a battery watering and monitoring system as well. but yes, theoretically a more powerful charger will be faster.

there are some residential/commercial solar charger controllers that get to 300 amps.. the magnum pure sine wave 4000w inverter has a 105amp 12v charger. i do not know if there are larger rv units available.

for serious dry camping/boondocking, you need to research solar options... and possibly upgrade your battery bank (or increase batteries)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
How do you insert the 30 second prime before kicking the starter with one of these wireless autostarts?
it's all electronic. the autostart module will do the priming for you. you holding the button on the dash doesn't manually control the fuel flow or anything. it's an electronic prime and start where they want you to know you are priming it by holding it down for that long... kinda dumba approach but whatever... a simple timer relay would've done that
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #7

Like Himcules said, don't let your batteries go below 50% if you want them to last a while. Charge acceptance rates decrease the higher you go on your state of charge so only worry about getting to 90% quickly. The last 10% takes a long time and voltage needs to increase. You need to find some charge curves for that inverter to know completely, Its really not as simple as how many amps it's rated for.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

boo,
What brand generator do you have? I have an Onan and it lists the filters needed on the generator by the circuit breaker switch on the generator.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo,
What brand generator do you have? I have an Onan and it lists the filters needed on the generator by the circuit breaker switch on the generator.

Thanks, Tom........ It is and ONAN, so I'll go look at it.

The solar panel is a great idea, but boondocking for me will be a once in awhile thing. DW doesn't like it all that much.

To all of you, MANY thanks for the the info/advice. It's amazing how much info I get here simply by asking.

Boowho?