Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #41

Ready brake from nsa÷÷÷29k miles of towing and not a single issue!
seanfulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #42
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I use a Patriot braking system. Very easy to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
Toad brake discussions are similar to discussing politics and religion. Many will say if you drive cautiously, you'll never need one. That may be true - but there are resources available that show what States require supplemental brakes and at what weight. It's worth the time just to see what States you'll travel through want to see.

I've had the RVI2 Brake System for over a year now and am most impressed. It installs in less than 2 minutes - without hassle. There is a RF link that displays the brake system status on a display you plug into a cigarette plug up in the drivers area. We also opted for the tire pressure sensors so we can see if the toad develops a flat or slow leak. Again, just my two cents but I really think the system is top notch and customer service/support has been amazing.

As far as the toad, we have a Mini Cooper - very light, but even so, in a hard stop, you can tell the brake is doing its job. Sounds like you got a great deal on your towing brackets and base plate - so you're off to a great start!

Lastly, to make sure we were never surprised with a dead battery, I ran a power wire from the motorhome 7 pin trailer connector (specifically the power lead) to the battery on the Mini. There are fused kits for this purpose. It just ensures you're not draining the battery while tooling down the road.

Anyway - good luck and safe travels!
Can you better describe the "fused kits (to charge your Mini's battery while towing) for this purpose"? Is it just a wire from the pin connector to the battery with a fuse, or a built up kit? I really would like to have one. I formerly used a Patriot brake system and found it drained the toad battery before the end of the day. Now I have a brand new SMI Stay-IN-Play, but still wonder what it's going to do to the toad (2010 Jeep Liberty) battery.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Can you better describe the "fused kits (to charge your Mini's battery while towing) for this purpose"? Is it just a wire from the pin connector to the battery with a fuse, or a built up kit? I really would like to have one. I formerly used a Patriot brake system and found it drained the toad battery before the end of the day. Now I have a brand new SMI Stay-IN-Play, but still wonder what it's going to do to the toad (2010 Jeep Liberty) battery.

Yes. Wire from your 6 pin connector on the front of the vehicle to the battery. I used a multi meter to find the hot wire on my RV. Works great.

BrakeBuddy 39332 Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCXB8A..._-1lDvb0DKQ983
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #45

Rsscully, I've been looking for something like this for hours. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Rsscully, I've been looking for something like this for hours. Thanks.
I always check Amazon first. Lol.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #47

Vince and Charlette - rascally is spot on. On my motorhome, I have a 7 pin trailer connector. On my toad, I used a 6 pin connector - for the brake lights, ground and turn lamps. I ran the 12v hot from the 7 pin to an unused pin on the toad. I ran that wire directly to the fused toad battery charge circuit I bought. Mine is sealed in rubber and has a replacement blade fuse - but they come in several variations. My Mini has no hot 12v accessory plugs when the car is off so I ran another hot lead through the firewall and added a 12v accessory plug up under the dash on the drivers side. Makes hooking up the RVI brake a breeze.
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #48

OOOPS - RSSCULLY. My apologies!
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad