Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #101

So do you own your lot there like you do in Florida ?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #102
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Don't forget your combined weight rating is in there too. The TOAD and its hitch count against that number. You should be solid because the Berk has a 10,000 pound tow rating and your unloaded Jeep should weigh in about 4800 pounds.
Well how about that... 15K tow rating for the XLT
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
So do you own your lot there like you do in Florida ?

Russell

Yes we do. It was to good a deal to pass on.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #104

Quote:
Don't forget your combined weight rating is in there too. The TOAD and its hitch count against that number. You should be solid because the Berk has a 10,000 pound tow rating and your unloaded Jeep should weigh in about 4800 pounds.
Actually Lou it is15K with the XLT
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #105

Quote:
Well how about that... 15K tow rating for the XLT
Yeah Lou and our Basements and upstairs are FULL! I can't imagine where we could stash 7K worth of stuff LOL!
Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #106
Site Team - Lou

Quite the machine. We decided to wait till next year to see what the new designed Charleston floorplans look like.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #107

Quote:
Quite the machine. We decided to wait till next year to see what the new designed Charleston floorplans look like.
When we were at the factory, I got some intel on the Charleston plans Herk.

All I can say is if you think the XLT is a rolling palace, wait until you see the 2017-18 Charleston!

Oh, and the 2017.3 /2018 XLT is not going to be a slouch either!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #108

Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang, Bought A Berk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
When we were at the factory, I got some intel on the Charleston plans Herk.

All I can say is if you think the XLT is a rolling palace, wait until you see the 2017-18 Charleston!

Oh, and the 2017.3 /2018 XLT is not going to be a slouch either!

To me it's all about the Glitz. How much you want to pay for that?

I wish they would build a striped down Berk with the tag. Could even be a 40' one.

I don't care to show mine. Just would like the tag for handling. Just put a tag under my 40' FL would be cool.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #109
Site Team - Lou

We are looking for something to "mostly-time" in.

I figure 2 more years of savings and we can get that new Charleston with the bugs worked out.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
So with the TV arguments raging… buy this truck because it has a Cummings engine!…no, no this one because it has a Allison transmission!

We finally found the dream team solution: buy a Berkshire! It has not only the Cummins ISL9 engine (450HP @ 2100 RPM, 1250 LB/FT @ 1400RPM), but sports the Allison 3000 MH 6-speed transmission– a match made in RV heaven!

Yep, pulled the trigger and signed for the new “Bear Cave” today! Looking forward to many happy years of touring the USA and Canada with the love of my life, Anne-Marie (6Actual).

Retirement for both of us comes next December so we have about 18 months to install all the mods and make furniture changes as necessary and then we hit the road Fulltime 31 DEC 2017!
We have been thinking about this coach but with a booth.

Can I ask you what issues if any you have had? How does it drive? Many rattles? Is the kitchen design workable for prepping food.

What don't you like? How is the quality of the coach?

Kind regards

Stu
mofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #111

That's great! Good travels to you guys, and we're totally understanding of the "wait" before you hit the road for long term. One thing we've learned, is that if you watch all the posts, etc you can get discouraged or even paranoid about your coach (any coach) and you just need to put it all in perspective. Deal with the things you have to and don't obsess about the rest. Time is way too short for us all so enjoy the heck out of your beautiful coach.
Igave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofa View Post
We have been thinking about this coach but with a booth.

Can I ask you what issues if any you have had? How does it drive? Many rattles? Is the kitchen design workable for prepping food.

What don't you like? How is the quality of the coach?

Kind regards

Stu
Hi Stu!

We really love our Berk! Like any other new coach, however, there will be build issues. We are fortunate in that most of the ones we have had are minor & easily fixed.

We had decided on the dining table rather than a booth because Anne-Marie wanted the L-shaped couch (which is awesome BTW!). Our plans for the dining table are to remove it and build out the credenza into a workspace that will house Anne-Marie's sewing machine and our laptop computer, printer, and ScanSnap scanner. This will involve removing the cherry wood fascia and building out with plywood then rehanging the fascia to match the rest of the cabinetry in the coach.

Drivability: When we picked it up from the dealer we did not notice any issues with drivability. However, on the open road we were constantly correcting the track. We complained of this at our 6 month service and lo and behold we were severely out of alignment. We were told by Freightliner that this was due to the factory not checking the alignment prior to delivering the unit to the dealer. So, when you get yours, make sure that getting an alignment (and checking for the correct air ride levels) are part of your PDI. The dealer will most likely have to take the coach to a Freightliner facility to have this checked.

Driving down the road is smooth as can be! We got a tip from another Berkshire owner to put out and bring in the slides while on the airbags. Since we have been doing this, it is even a quieter ride with no rattles, or excessive slide out noise.

The Kitchen design is fine; I would not want to prepare a Thanksgiving feast, but even a semi-elaborate dinner for 2-4 is easily done. You can add more counter space by putting the cover on one of the sinks.

Coach Quality is very VERY good. In my opinion, the XLT rivals (and in some areas) surpasses the Newmar Ventana (which Berkshire is directly competing with; the Charleston will be gunning for the Dutch Star - both at a price point much lower than either Newmar products).

Things that Forest River could have done better on? 4 things stand out:
  1. Install a ceiling fan in the bedroom. We did this (with the help of Silver).
    1. Interestingly enough, a ceiling fan is now standard on the XLT - and perhaps across the rest of the line as well.
  2. The vent fan in the bathroom & the toilet are cheepo models one would expect to see in a base model popup camper we will be replacing these with MaxxAire vents.
  3. NONE of the vents (bathroom, toilet, kitchen) have a remote control switch. This means my DW cannot reach the overhead - a HUGE PITA. The MaxxAirs come with remotes, and we can buy a Fantastic fan upgrade for the kitchen that includes a remote control. Still, this is something FR should have done
    1. (and I would not be surprised if this WAS done on the 2018 models).
  4. The bedroom slide screams for a second awning - so much that we have a Coleman popup canopy to cover that area when we long term camp.
    1. Once again FR listens...I see where a second awning is a option on the 2018 models! When we go to the factory next year we are going to see if they can retrofit our unit with the second awning.
As far as things we don't like? Other than the annoying things every new coach owner finds in the first year of ownership, nothing really. What we really like is Forest River Diesel Division's quick response to issues we have and their commitment to customer service.

We have had a chance to see the 2017 1/2 coach when it was still in build status this fall and it is obvious that FR listens to their customers because e lot of the items we had suggested were included on the new model.

Let us know if we can answer any other questions you might have.

When you are in the market, let us know as well - we can certainly recommend a Berkshire dealer (Total Value RV) we have had great service from them and would buy from them again!