Old 01-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #31

Just an update, kids. Here we are 4 and a half months of ownership along with payments and that 38A has only been in our possession for 48 hours! That was back in October. Randy Houser did in fact help us out and had their body shop look at the damages and said that it would be a minimum of 27 hours. Here it was 34 hours and well over 6 grand that the trucking company paid to the body shop. New tail lights and ladder too.

If it weren't for that recall notice, that ******* Berk could have been picked up a week ago! Quite frankly, I wouldn't care if i never saw it again! The service manager said they were "trying to figure it out." Great! After seeing those melted pipes in the "recall thread" related to that recall, my attitude has really gone south!

It's easy to envision getting severely scalded on my very first shower in it!

On a positive note......hmmm. Have to think about it!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #32

Coming late to the party but I thought I would offer some words of encouragement. As many on FRF know my Berk broke down last summer and while in the Cummins lot was hit like yours. They made good the repair and took it to a shop that specialized in custom and large buses. Took a month for the body work but came back as good as new and I would challenge anyone to tell me which side was hit. Again you feel bad now but next summer while you are using the coach all this will be a good story to tell at Frog convention.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #33

Sounds to me like a lawsuit against the trucking company for loss of use. I'm sure a good atty could make a good case to go after them.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #34

I must have missed the recall thread. What was that about?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I must have missed the recall thread. What was that about?

RKNOLA posted something about a recall for Atwood tankless water heaters.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #36

Here is the info again for anyone that missed it:

Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain model year 2012-2016 Berkshire, Charleston, Legacy, Dynamax, XLR, Continental Cargo, Work & Play, Shockwave, and Coachmen Brookstone recreational vehicles and toy haulers, equipped with Atwood on demand water heaters, models OD45, OD50, and OD50CW, manufactured January 2, 2012, to August 13, 2015. The affected water heaters have a water and gas valve that may cause the water heater to overheat the water in the hot water supply tap. The overheating of the water may result in the release of steam, possibly causing the operator is to scald themselves and increasing the risk of injury. Forest River will notify owners. The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall began on December 17, 2015. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-800-348-7440, or Atwood customer service at 1-574-264-2131. Forest River's number for this recall is 51-11092015-0107.

Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #37

Thanks Karen, so it's an Attwood problem. Not really FR's fault.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Thanks Karen, so it's an Attwood problem. Not really FR's fault.
Correct CC. In fact I would go so far as to say not only is it NOT FR's fault, but I think they are really stepping up to the plate by doing the recall. It isn't a product FR made, but problems with the Atwood could shine a negative light on FR. I think it shows great responsibility of a company to take such proactive steps to make sure their "owners" are safe.

Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #39

Well, we eventually got the Berkshire back...in 2016 (5 months later). Luckily it was still at the dealer when the recall letter arrived and that was taken care of. My first job was to drive it south to get it in our RV garage. The 300 mile drive was a tad different from driving a 10 cylinder Ford in a Sightseer. 0 to 60 in five minutes and not being able to kick it into passing gear on a hill to pass a slower rig from time to time was missed. But on a high note, the 340 itself surprised me because it can maintain speed on our steep grades if I don't get stuck behind somebody. Quiet? Oh Yeah! It's a heck of a lot more comfortable driving too! But what really blew my mind was the MPG. The Sightseer would use 3/4 of a tank plus. The Berk used about a third of a tank but I was really putting it through a test drive and buried the speedometer a couple of times. (Our speed limit in Utah is 80 MPH) I will be content in the 65 range though. Our first long haul will be in June when we head up to Peddar Bay in B.C. for 10 days. Yeah, it's growing on me already!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Ezekiel H. View Post
Well, we eventually got the Berkshire back...in 2016 (5 months later). Luckily it was still at the dealer when the recall letter arrived and that was taken care of. My first job was to drive it south to get it in our RV garage. The 300 mile drive was a tad different from driving a 10 cylinder Ford in a Sightseer. 0 to 60 in five minutes and not being able to kick it into passing gear on a hill to pass a slower rig from time to time was missed. But on a high note, the 340 itself surprised me because it can maintain speed on our steep grades if I don't get stuck behind somebody. Quiet? Oh Yeah! It's a heck of a lot more comfortable driving too! But what really blew my mind was the MPG. The Sightseer would use 3/4 of a tank plus. The Berk used about a third of a tank but I was really putting it through a test drive and buried the speedometer a couple of times. (Our speed limit in Utah is 80 MPH) I will be content in the 65 range though. Our first long haul will be in June when we head up to Peddar Bay in B.C. for 10 days. Yeah, it's growing on me already!

All of us knew it would grow on you. Don't be afraid to manually down shift that puppy. Just hit the down arrow on the shifter. It will get the RPM's up and you can pass just about anything you want. Just hit the drive button when you're done and the tranny will quietly do its business.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums