Old 10-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #11

Ken,
Since your coach is a 2015, it is still under warranty. They should not have charged you anything. Did you call the Freightliner help line (1-800-FTL-HELP. I would call them and complain that they charged you 1- $300 for less than 1 hour labor, 2-for something that should be covered under the warranty and 3- ask them what Freightliner service center is near you that will service your coach.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #12

Ken the FL shops you want are the FL oasis dealers. There is a difference.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #13

Something smells fishy here, when I had my "trans comm" problem an Allison shop replaced some kind of computer in the transmission. It did not cost me a dime.

Just so I understand correctly, it was the Allison shop that charged you $300 just to tell you what was broken?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #14
Fulltime in our Berkshire

The Oasis dealers are not all camper friendly even though their designated as such.
The Allison dealer said that the charges for diagnostics and that would not be covered under any type of warranty because the problem was not with the transmission.
But there is a happy ending I finally found a Freightliner dealer near Canton that was extremely friendly helpful and fact told me what the problem was over the phone and will set me up with an appointment next week
I then called the Freightliner help line to see about getting reimbursed for the money spent at the Allison transmission service center and that is also looking good.
It appears the actual problem is with the heaters for the engine drawing the battery down when you go to start it.
Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

Things are Getting Better

Apologies for the previous message without proper spacing and making it harder to read. I was using the cell phone for the reply.

I understand the Oasis Service Centers are "supposed" to be camper friendly. This definitely does not apply to all of them. Even the gentleman at the FL help line tried contacting them and said he found the same. He said he is going to look into them further at a later time.

To summarize, yesterday I sent off a complaint to WW Williams about the 2 hour labor charge for the diagnosis. Today, he personally answered and apologized. He left me his personal phone number and told me to contact the office for a credit. I will still end up paying for one hour, but to me, that seems fair to them, since they did put an hour into it. I still have to see about getting the additional one hour back from Freightliner since it was a Freightliner Service Center (Hans) that sent me on that path.

Again, I was very pleasantly surprised with the Freightliner Service Center near Canton, Ohio. Mr. Snyder asked for the symptoms and told me that it is a common problem he handles all the time. The heaters are defective and drawing current when starting the coach.

I have to go to work Monday to see if they will give me a day off to take it in (without pay). Mr. Snyder actually said if I couldn't get the time off, he would do it on a Saturday. Is that great, or what ?

What a difference a day will make.

I was actually thinking about driving back to Gaffney to get it done right.

Have a great weekend, everybody. I know mine is getting better

Ken
Home is Where we park it
Old 10-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #16

Ken that's great news. I thought that all Oasis FL dealers were MH friendly. Disappointed to hear that they aren't. Glad you found one to help.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #17

Ken,
Happy to hear that they have narrowed down the problem and can take care of it. Also happy to hear that Freightliner and Allison will be working to get you your money back. Sounds like the Canton Freightliner center is really going out of their way to help you get this fixed.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Apologies for the previous message without proper spacing and making it harder to read. I was using the cell phone for the reply.

I understand the Oasis Service Centers are "supposed" to be camper friendly. This definitely does not apply to all of them. Even the gentleman at the FL help line tried contacting them and said he found the same. He said he is going to look into them further at a later time.

To summarize, yesterday I sent off a complaint to WW Williams about the 2 hour labor charge for the diagnosis. Today, he personally answered and apologized. He left me his personal phone number and told me to contact the office for a credit. I will still end up paying for one hour, but to me, that seems fair to them, since they did put an hour into it. I still have to see about getting the additional one hour back from Freightliner since it was a Freightliner Service Center (Hans) that sent me on that path.

Again, I was very pleasantly surprised with the Freightliner Service Center near Canton, Ohio. Mr. Snyder asked for the symptoms and told me that it is a common problem he handles all the time. The heaters are defective and drawing current when starting the coach.

I have to go to work Monday to see if they will give me a day off to take it in (without pay). Mr. Snyder actually said if I couldn't get the time off, he would do it on a Saturday. Is that great, or what ?

What a difference a day will make.

I was actually thinking about driving back to Gaffney to get it done right.

Have a great weekend, everybody. I know mine is getting better

Ken
I think some of your problems are by design. When the ignition is set to on, one of the prerequisites to start is to heat the air in the intake plenum. A lot of air requires lots of DC battery current. Enough to cause a voltage drop from the starting battery which the transmission also requires. In the tranny internal control module, if the power supply dips too much, an ecm within will lock out trans functions until voltage is restored, as you learned. If the engine starts or the heaters shutoff the normal voltage will be restored.
To check my theory on the load the air box draws just check the size of the cables feeding it. They are large enough for most vehicles starting circuits! Also even Georgetown had the chassis/coach batteries charging systems for sometime, very surprised if Berk doesn't. It was installed by FR, a Intellitec system. Charges both with a set priority program.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I think some of your problems are by design. When the ignition is set to on, one of the prerequisites to start is to heat the air in the intake plenum. A lot of air requires lots of DC battery current. Enough to cause a voltage drop from the starting battery which the transmission also requires. In the tranny internal control module, if the power supply dips too much, an ecm within will lock out trans functions until voltage is restored, as you learned. If the engine starts or the heaters shutoff the normal voltage will be restored.
To check my theory on the load the air box draws just check the size of the cables feeding it. They are large enough for most vehicles starting circuits! Also even Georgetown had the chassis/coach batteries charging systems for sometime, very surprised if Berk doesn't. It was installed by FR, a Intellitec system. Charges both with a set priority program.
Correct. It is designed that way. BUT..... mine went south and got so bad that for teh first minute or two after starting the radio was turning itself on and off, the headlights were going back and forth from dim to normal, etc.

That's the part it wasn't designed to do. And that's pretty much what FL told me when I called. The heaters went bad and are drawing way too much.
The coach didn't do this for the past year. Something went south and I think he nailed it. He said it's a common problem he finds working on FL trucks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply !!

Ken
Home is Where we park it
Old 10-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #20

Ken - If you get anymore details on the final fix and problem, please let us all know. Thanks' -Hank

Tags
battery