Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Fulltime in our Berkshire

Battery AND Transmission warnings

Ok...we saddled up and got into the berk for a weekend of camping at Mohican adventures in Loudonville Ohio right off the engine cranked over slow even though the coach is plugged into 120v 24/7.

Then I see the usual low battery warning and was surprised to see another warning saying check transmission, transmission locked. wel once I stepped on the brake and let my foot up again and took off the emergency brake, I was able to shift and drove with no problems.

We arrived at the campground and shut the engine down to check iin. when I came back out I was presented with the same information on the transmission and it would not go into gear for a few seconds I Managed to step on the break pull off the emergency break and eventually the light went away and I was able to drive and park it here.

I know I'll have to call Freightliner to troubleshoot it but I was just curious if anyone here and any similar problems with their Berk.

Thanks,
Ken

Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #2

Battery AND Transmission warnings

Ken did you check your transmission level? If it's ok I would call FL hotline.

Wayne

Old 09-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Ken did you check your transmission level? If it's ok I would call FL hotline.

Wayne
X2! They were great to me.

Boowho??
Old 09-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

There is a way to do a hard reset on the transmission by pushing a couple of buttons on the panel. I can't remember which ones they are though.

Call the FL hotline, they were the ones who told me how to do it. I had a different issue than yours. Mine was a "no communication" signal.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #5

Similar problem in my Charleston

My problem started at low (2-3 mph) speed or stopped. The check engine and tranny icons came on and the shift inhibit light also, and would not allow me to change gear. The ultimate problem turned out to be a motion detector sensor, corrosion/bad tranny control module, and corrosion in the 80 pin connector. If it turns out that the sensor tests bad, make sure the associated wiring when replaced is properly supported. Mine wasn't and a hundred miles down the road the wiring was torn in two by the driveshaft meaning another stop at the Allison dealer we were lucky to be near. Hope this helps...sorry for the length of the explanation. 😎
Old 09-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #6

There is no such thing as an explanation too long I finally contacted Freightliner and they want to blame the batteries and the tech is trying to tell me that being plugged in to AC does not recharge the chassis battery long story short I'm going to have to make an appointment at Freightliner
Home is Where we park it
Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #7

I have an appointment with an Allison Tranny place Friday morning.
I'll post the results here.......
Home is Where we park it
Old 09-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #8

They told me the same thing about shore power not charging the chassis batts. They say that because FL does not install the device that switches from charging house batts to charging chassis batts.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
They told me the same thing about shore power not charging the chassis batts. They say that because FL does not install the device that switches from charging house batts to charging chassis batts.
After I talked with the tech, I went out to the batteries and put a load tester on the chassis battery. Almost immediately, the inverter started running. Not sure this is conclusive proof, but it does say a load on the 12v chassis batteries does cause some kind of action (BTW: batteries checked okay when I tested without the inverted turned on)

Thank you for taking the time to reply !!

Ken
Home is Where we park it
Old 10-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

I'm in a rabbit hole

Well, as instructed by the local Freightliner Sevice Center (Hans) I took my electrical problem to the Allison Transmission Center (WW Williams). They told me, for $300, that it was an electrical problem (like I told Hans FL). It is to be noted that they didn't spend a minute more than one hour on it, but charged me for two full hours. Arguing with them got me no where. Not covered by warranty. Guess I bought those boys lunch.

So I call Hans FL back and they tell me I can't bring it for a week and because their priority is trucks, they can't tell me how long they will have it. He actually began to complain to me that he already had two motor homes to take care of when his priority is trucks. Gee .. thanks. I wish I lived closer to Gaffney.

The other FL Service Center near me now says they don't work on motor homes.

So now I am searching for a FL Service Center. I heard Youngs in Canton may be good, but still waiting on a call back from them.

If this don't work out, I may end up driving to Gaffney

I'll keep you posted when I find out what's wrong.

What I do know is that when the ignition is turned on, something is drawing a lot of current. The radio goes on then off for three or four times and the head lights dim then go to normal. After a minute or two of this, everything goes back to normal. Of course, the display says to check transmission and shift inhibit until a minute or two passes. That one cost $300

Thanks for letting me vent.

Home is Where we park it

Tags
battery