Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Battery Dust and Other Issues

I've noticed with our battery compartment that there is a very large accumulation of white battery acid dust. The batteries have not "boiled over" that I can see and the water levels appear to be fine. Also the top of the batteries are always wet and the red color from the top of the batteries comes off on rubber gloves. Any ideas of what the cause could be and what the solution might be? Would gel batteries resolve the issue?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

Taxman, are you referring to the white gunk that accumulates on the battery terminals?
Also, where is your battery -in a box on the tongue or inside the RV somewhere?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
Taxman, are you referring to the white gunk that accumulates on the battery terminals?
Also, where is your battery -in a box on the tongue or inside the RV somewhere?

Dan, our batteries for both the coach and the house are in a separate compartment. I leave the rig plugged into 50 amp service when stored, but have the switches turned off for both the house and the coach batteries. The dust that I'm referring to is the same as that around the terminals, but I have it all over the battery compartment.

Ed
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

Ed,
Don't know if I mentioned 'Battery Mat' to you. You should look into these because they really help reduce the amount of corrosion that accumulates by absorbing the fumes. I put a couple of the mats under the battery slide out tray and cut up a few mats to put along the sides of the battery slide out tray. I tried to cover as much of the floor under the slide tray as possible with the matting.

Battery Mat home page

I also put 1.5oz of mineral oil in each cell of the battery. This also helped quite a lot and helps keep the water in the battery. You need to make sure that the water in the battery does not fall below the top of the plates in the battery though.

Don't know why the tops of the batteries are wet. Could be one of 2 things: 1 - a leak in the battery compartment, 2-batteries overfilled. As for the red stuff, that is a corrosion preventative paint that FR puts on the terminals and a couple of other things in the battery compartment to prevent corrosion build up. You probably can buy it in an auto parts store to re-cover the areas where it came off.
Hope this helps.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #5

Only thing I can add, Ed is to maybe give your terminals a good cleaning with water, baking soda and a wire brush, then coat the heck out of them with petroleum jelly like Vaseline.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Thanks Tom and Dan for your suggestions. I've wondered about the glassmat batteries that some of the higher end rigs use. These are supposed to be a maintenance free battery.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman
I've noticed with our battery compartment that there is a very large accumulation of white battery acid dust. The batteries have not "boiled over" that I can see and the water levels appear to be fine. Also the top of the batteries are always wet and the red color from the top of the batteries comes off on rubber gloves. Any ideas of what the cause could be and what the solution might be? Would gel batteries resolve the issue?
I recall there are a number of batteries in the BH slide locker. Believe what you are seeing is the electrolyte "sulphating", when sulphur and lead leave a battery and coat everything nearby. It still has some acidic. properties and will corrode. Caused by older multi cycled batterIes and accelerated by slightly over charging. Boiled is greatly over charging. Difficult to pick the bad battery, indiviual load test may help. I have let them go to near failure, can be alot of life (less capacity) left must clean often, do not breath the dust while cleaning.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #8

Ed,
From what I've seen, the maintenance free batteries are very expensive. I would go with something to prevent the accumulation of the corrosion until I needed to replace the batteries and then look into the maintenance free ones. JMHO.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Ed,
From what I've seen, the maintenance free batteries are very expensive. I would go with something to prevent the accumulation of the corrosion until I needed to replace the batteries and then look into the maintenance free ones. JMHO.
Tom

Tom,

Your opinion is always appreciated and it may be the route I'll go. I know replacing the house batteries is not a cheap proposition no matter which way I go.

Ed
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #10

I have notice the same accumulation of white powder. Can I simply go an spray it clean with a low pressure sream of water?

Tags
battery