Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Battery holddown straps

Original straps with metal buckles corroded so badly and quickly that I replaced them with straps having nylon (or some sort of plastic) buckles. Within a few days the new buckles dissolved. WTF???

Anyone has a source of battery straps that won't corrode/dissolve in a short time??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Original straps with metal buckles corroded so badly and quickly that I replaced them with straps having nylon (or some sort of plastic) buckles. Within a few days the new buckles dissolved. WTF???

Anyone has a source of battery straps that won't corrode/dissolve in a short time??

Boowho??
Didn't use straps on my tt. Made a T bar that went between them and bolted under the tray with a nut on it and a padlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T lock for batteries.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	30889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Padlock on T lock for batteries.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	30890  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Didn't use straps on my tt. Made a T bar that went between them and bolted under the tray with a nut on it and a padlock.

Thanks Old Coot...... I'll have to stick with the straps, since my bats just fit in a slide out tray (without cases). Looks good on your TT though....

Boowho??
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Installed a Pro-fill watering system and now no more corroded hooks on battery straps. I may habe been over filling batteries, who knows but no more corroded hooks.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #5

Hey Boo, I use a small ratcheting (cargo) strap that I’ve cut down to fit around the battery so it’s not so long. I haven’t had any corroding issues, yet.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Boowho??
Sounds like you have some excess leakage coming from somewhere. Your straps should work fine if there is no leakage. I would do a good cleaning of the batteries and use a solution of Baking Soda in water to neutralize any acid on the batteries. After cleaning, I would examine carefully for a leak or an overfill.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

boo,
you should purchase some of these and put them anywhere there is exposed metal on the floor of the compartment and under the battery slide in the battery compartment. I use these and I also put 1.5 oz of mineral oil in each cell. The corrosion is almost non-existant now.
Tom

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-mat.html

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo,
you should purchase some of these and put them anywhere there is exposed metal on the floor of the compartment and under the battery slide in the battery compartment. I use these and I also put 1.5 oz of mineral oil in each cell. The corrosion is almost non-existant now.
Tom

Acid Neutralizing Mat - Yellow: BatteryMart.com
Tom, are 4 of those pads enough to cover the entire tray??

And thanks to all for the suggestions. The funny thing is that the chassis batts are extremely clean and dry, but the house batts give me trouble.

I have removed the house batts and sprayed the bottom of the compartment with rubberized paint. That seems to have stopped the metal corrosion at least for now. There is always a little moisture on top of all four batts when I open the compartment.

While I've never seen any liquid on (or even near) the buckles, they corrode (or dissolve) anyhow. I thought the only vapor that came off the batts was pure hydrogen and while highly explosive it was not corrosive.

IMHO, all four bats should be totally dry on top..... Yet, I've never seen them that way, yet.

Thanks everybody....

Boowho??
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Boo,
I would get 6 pads. 4 for under the battery tray and 2 to cut up and put along the sides of the tray.
They work really well.
Tom

Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Installed a Pro-fill watering system and now no more corroded hooks on battery straps. I may have been over filling batteries, who knows but no more corroded hooks.
I'm going to check that out too..... Just ordered 6 of the pads that Tom suggested. Also, going to use two of those ratcheting cargo straps and spray the **** out of them with that pink corrosion retardant.

Also, going to see if I can figure out the REAL problem and treat THAT instead of just the symptom.

Some batteries (like in my toad) are always perfect, but others always seem to be prone to problems of this sort. Don't know the difference unless I've got tiny cracks in the cases or something like that.....\

Thanks to ALL who've responded.

Boowho??
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Boo, just another thought. Have you checked the charging rate on the coach batteries. Over charging will cause lots of things you have mentioned. Gassing and sweating are symptoms of overcharging!!
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Boo, just another thought. Have you checked the charging rate on the coach batteries. Over charging will cause lots of things you have mentioned. Gassing and sweating are symptoms of overcharging!!

No I have not....... My batts are charged off the Magnum 1200 watt inverter.

In reading the manual for the Magnum, I got the impression that it is very "smart" with regard to charging the house bats in the optimum manner..... that is, the charging starts out agressive and then tapers of to almost nothing to keep the bats right where they should be.

I will do some further research though..... Thanks for the tip.

Boowho??
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #13

Well, I checked the Magnum Inverter manual again. The inverter does indeed charge the batteries using a multi-stage charger as I mentioned in the previous message. The three stages are bulk, absorb and float and there is a light for each stage on the control panel.

I don't think I've ever seen my control panel without the float light being on, indicating the lightest charge option. I'd think that at some point all three lights should be out, at least once in awhile.

I found that holding the on/off button down for three seconds will disable the charger completely. I'm going to clean the batts thoroughly and then disable the charger for a day or so and and see if the batts stay clean.

That may tell me if they are in fact being over-charged by the inverter.

Boowho??
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #14

I JUST got back from buying some replacement battery straps. I had some difficulty finding ones that were short enough so that the ratchet doesn't sit on top of the batteries. Tomorrow I'll try them as its too dark down at the barn right now. My backup plan is 48" zipties, probably chained together to make the length long enough. I wonder if those will 'melt' away. I guess tightly pulled rubber cargo straps could be used as well, but they have to be installed tightly!!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #15

What Color are yuou Batteries

Hi Boo,

What color are your batteries? My Berkshire came with gray house batteries. The outgassing from them is awful. I to have lost my straps and each year have had to strip the bay and repaint. This year I coted the bay with pickup truck bed spray and added venting to the bay.

I have a buddy with a Bekshire who had the dealer replace the batteries before he took delivery. He has a different type. His bay looks brand new. We both have 2008 coaches. Makes me think there is something funny with the gray batteries.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Wouldn't another indication of over charging be a lot of water being used in the battery? I don't need to add very much water to mine and there is a decent amount of corrosion that accumulated in the battery bay. The battery pads cut down on this greatly.

Boo,
Do you need to add water very often? If not, I don't believe that they are being overcharged. Not a battery expert, just trying to reason this out.
Tom

Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Hi Boo,

What color are your batteries? My Berkshire came with gray house batteries. The outgassing from them is awful. I to have lost my straps and each year have had to strip the bay and repaint. This year I coted the bay with pickup truck bed spray and added venting to the bay.

I have a buddy with a Bekshire who had the dealer replace the batteries before he took delivery. He has a different type. His bay looks brand new. We both have 2008 coaches. Makes me think there is something funny with the gray batteries.
Mine are white with red tops. USA Batteries or some similar name. Tom, my pads are due here Friday. Then I'm going to take all the bats out AGAIN, clean up the tray and compartment AGAIN and hope for an improvement.

I've already used some of that "rubberized" paint on the bottom of the compartment and tray. This morning I noticed corrosion on the slide assembly; damn. I think that paint may be the same thing as truck bed spray.

As delivered from FR my house bats were NOT wired correctly. I corrected that this morning, so that may help with more even charging.

I've not added water but twice in the last 6 months; when I first got the coach last November it had been pretty much unused for two years. At that time the four bats took right at 1.5 gallons of water. Recently, I added water again, but nowhere near as much. Also, each bat took a significantly different amount of water.

Like everything else, I'll eventually "wrestle this bear to the ground".
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #18

I am also having a problem with corrosion around the house batteries on my 2011 Berkshire 360FWS. I'm plugging into 110 so it will trickle charge 24/7. Some have suggested that I put a timer on the switch so it just charges a few hours a day. Has anyone solved this problem yet?
RVMikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMikeO View Post
I am also having a problem with corrosion around the house batteries on my 2011 Berkshire 360FWS. I'm plugging into 110 so it will trickle charge 24/7. Some have suggested that I put a timer on the switch so it just charges a few hours a day. Has anyone solved this problem yet?
Mike, I've purchased the upgraded control panel to replace the stock one that FR installs. This allowed me to cut the charging rate down to about 50% and my problems disappeared. Unfortunately, the upgraded control panel is around $225.

If your charger is truly a "trickle" (like .5 amp or less) leaving it on 24/7 would not be a problem, I wouldn't think.

Good Luck

Boowho??
Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #20
Denver, CO

disconnect switch is the best way to let the battery rest and avoid over charging or parasitic draw. with no current there is no production of gas which is what causes the corrosion. you can charge the battery once a month to keep it happy.