Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Battery holddown straps

Original straps with metal buckles corroded so badly and quickly that I replaced them with straps having nylon (or some sort of plastic) buckles. Within a few days the new buckles dissolved. WTF???

Anyone has a source of battery straps that won't corrode/dissolve in a short time??

Boowho??

Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Original straps with metal buckles corroded so badly and quickly that I replaced them with straps having nylon (or some sort of plastic) buckles. Within a few days the new buckles dissolved. WTF???

Anyone has a source of battery straps that won't corrode/dissolve in a short time??

Boowho??
Didn't use straps on my tt. Made a T bar that went between them and bolted under the tray with a nut on it and a padlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T lock for batteries.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	30889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Padlock on T lock for batteries.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	30890  

Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Didn't use straps on my tt. Made a T bar that went between them and bolted under the tray with a nut on it and a padlock.

Thanks Old Coot...... I'll have to stick with the straps, since my bats just fit in a slide out tray (without cases). Looks good on your TT though....

Boowho??
Old 05-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Installed a Pro-fill watering system and now no more corroded hooks on battery straps. I may habe been over filling batteries, who knows but no more corroded hooks.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Hey Boo, I use a small ratcheting (cargo) strap that I’ve cut down to fit around the battery so it’s not so long. I haven’t had any corroding issues, yet.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Boowho??
Sounds like you have some excess leakage coming from somewhere. Your straps should work fine if there is no leakage. I would do a good cleaning of the batteries and use a solution of Baking Soda in water to neutralize any acid on the batteries. After cleaning, I would examine carefully for a leak or an overfill.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

boo,
you should purchase some of these and put them anywhere there is exposed metal on the floor of the compartment and under the battery slide in the battery compartment. I use these and I also put 1.5 oz of mineral oil in each cell. The corrosion is almost non-existant now.
Tom

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-mat.html

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo,
you should purchase some of these and put them anywhere there is exposed metal on the floor of the compartment and under the battery slide in the battery compartment. I use these and I also put 1.5 oz of mineral oil in each cell. The corrosion is almost non-existant now.
Tom

Acid Neutralizing Mat - Yellow: BatteryMart.com
Tom, are 4 of those pads enough to cover the entire tray??

And thanks to all for the suggestions. The funny thing is that the chassis batts are extremely clean and dry, but the house batts give me trouble.

I have removed the house batts and sprayed the bottom of the compartment with rubberized paint. That seems to have stopped the metal corrosion at least for now. There is always a little moisture on top of all four batts when I open the compartment.

While I've never seen any liquid on (or even near) the buckles, they corrode (or dissolve) anyhow. I thought the only vapor that came off the batts was pure hydrogen and while highly explosive it was not corrosive.

IMHO, all four bats should be totally dry on top..... Yet, I've never seen them that way, yet.

Thanks everybody....

Boowho??
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Boo,
I would get 6 pads. 4 for under the battery tray and 2 to cut up and put along the sides of the tray.
They work really well.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Installed a Pro-fill watering system and now no more corroded hooks on battery straps. I may have been over filling batteries, who knows but no more corroded hooks.
I'm going to check that out too..... Just ordered 6 of the pads that Tom suggested. Also, going to use two of those ratcheting cargo straps and spray the **** out of them with that pink corrosion retardant.

Also, going to see if I can figure out the REAL problem and treat THAT instead of just the symptom.

Some batteries (like in my toad) are always perfect, but others always seem to be prone to problems of this sort. Don't know the difference unless I've got tiny cracks in the cases or something like that.....\

Thanks to ALL who've responded.

Boowho??