Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Battery Strap Corrosion

I have had a continuing issue of corrosion on the nylon battery straps that hold down the house batteries on the slide out tray. I am sure it is caused by the charging of the house lead acid batteries, which give off the fumes when being charged. Also, probably the dissimilar metals that touch on the strap ends and the tray itself. It also occurs on the clamp which is spring loaded where the strap goes through to tighten it. I have cleaned them constantly, and used battery terminal spray in hopes of stopping it. I even try to keep the battery door open when parked, to facilitate air flow, but the corrosion still occurs. There is no problem with the battery terminals themselves. And there is no need to replace the lead acid batteries at this time with sealed ones. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Perhaps a different material for the hold down straps? Any fixes would be appreciated.

BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #2

I went through a lot of trouble to fix this. First was to upgrade the controller for the inverter/charger (Magnum Energy ME-RC50). Then some specialty battery caps (Water Miser 2000C medium height caps). The clean up of the damage caused by the acid was the worst part. Used some epoxy based paint after sanding the entire battery compartment. Haven't had any problem since. I replaced the straps with custom ordered ones from Strapworks. I wish that they would have just used the upgraded controller in the first place. It is around $100 more but would have save a bunch of us a lot of trouble. Or you could just upgrade the batteries to something that wont out-gas. The problem with that is you need the upgraded controller to set the charger for that type of battery!

1 Cockatiel-Lucky
dogsgocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

I cleaned up my trays and then sprayed everything with spray-on bed liner.... It coats everything perfectly and is as hard as iron....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #4

My straps are dong that also.
But what I want to know about is that "Slide Out Battery Tray"?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #5

All my batteries slide out of the compartment for easy access .....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #6

Dan that was a item they stopped using on 2014. I have no idea how they expect you to get the batteries out without the tray. A stupid item to delete.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #7

I have been concerned about the same thing on mine. The acid flakes fall down onto the floor at the bottom of the battery. Will the battery terminal solution don't dissolve the battery acid?

Shame about the battery tray being discontinued. I bet that is nice.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Dan I have the same Berkshire you do With the tall house batt no tray. They are hard to water and my stray are so bad I have already replace them, also inside of compartment door looks real bad. I have sprayed treminal and even lv door open when at home. Rv is inside of building. I had berryland add more vents to compartment and that has not help much. Would love slide out tray can it be added?
Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #9

I was thinking it was a minor issue. Maybe I should go ahead and do something about it before it gets much worse.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Team

For a simple inexpensive solution. Purchase the shortest length you can find ( probably 25 ft) of the flat vinyl pool filter backwash hose ( about $6). Cut a piece about 6" longer than the top width of your battery and slip it over the hold down strap. This should protect the strip. Also check to make sure you have not overfilled the cells in the battery.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery