Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Berk Awning

Just curious. Anyone else feel that their awning doesn't go out far enough?
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #2

Mine extends as far as supposed to but doesn't seem as far as they did when I was younger. If you mean are they getting shorter? I think so.

kids think tt stands for tan turd.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClark View Post
Mine extends as far as supposed to but doesn't seem as far as they did when I was younger. If you mean are they getting shorter? I think so.

Yep, that's what I meant. Just doesn't seem to be long enough to shade you from the sun. May look into the extenders. Anyone have one and are you happy with it?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Plain Old Member

I thought I was one of the few that thought that. Never measured one, but they sure do seem a shade shorter. Been meaning to get the screen that slides in the slot on the tube, just hadn't ordered yet.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

If you look at some if the new MH the awning is mounted on the slide so you get the full effect of the awning. We start with a two foot deficit because we have the slide on the same side.
I use a hang down shade and it helps. I sometimes stake it out or leave it hang. I does get in the way sometimes. I thought I would find the old aluminum tent poles to extent the shade put haven't found them yet.
If I were to buy mine again I would get a three foot drop and a zipper with a six foot add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
If you look at some if the new MH the awning is mounted on the slide so you get the full effect of the awning. We start with a two foot deficit because we have the slide on the same side.
I use a hang down shade and it helps. I sometimes stake it out or leave it hang. I does get in the way sometimes. I thought I would find the old aluminum tent poles to extent the shade put haven't found them yet.
If I were to buy mine again I would get a three foot drop and a zipper with a six foot add on.

I know what you mean about the slide taking up some of the awning. But when I look at it extended, it looks like the arms could extend further. I wonder if the awning material was wider then the awning would swing out farther.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

x2 to what Phil said. Besides it not coming out very far, it is dang high to reach to attach a sun screen. However, if the sunscreen is in two pieces, say 3 ft and 8 ft, the three foot section stays attached all the time and simply rolls up with the awning. Therefore, you can reach the 3 ft section to attach the larger section by zipper or hooks ( depends upon manufacturer).

I have seen some MHZ awnings that come over the slide-out and are huge. But they are on high $$$ MH like the Allegro Bus.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #8

All I can say is it stinks when I put the picnic table up to the side of the tt and the awning barely covers it. But on the flip side I just spent a day picking caulking off the tt because the assembly plant was to lazy to wipe it up..

JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

I hardly ever use the awning that's on our Berk, we carry one of those EZUP canopies and use that instead. The DW hangs lights on it also and we can set it up however we need to.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 06-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #10

I was just saying tonight that we need to bring the EZ up on our next trip.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #11

We carry one of the Coleman Ez set up screened rooms that takes about 5 minutes to set up. If we are staying any length of time, we use that, however I also bought one of the screen attachments that the first 4 feet stay with the awning and an additional 6 feet zipper on when needed. It then stakes to the ground. I paid around $150 for it at the FMCA Rally.. It is a good alternative to keeping shade on the refrigerator side of the MH.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
I was just saying tonight that we need to bring the EZ up on our next trip.
Watch carefully what brand ya buy...... Most of them are pure junk, IMHO.

Put one up for the very first time a year ago, within 24 hours it was badly mangled.

Called the factory to order some replacement pieces; they could not have been less cooperative.

The best ones have horizontal bracing that extends out from the center assembly to the mid-point of each side of the frame. The pole that holds the center point of the canvas extends up from the intersection of the horizontal bracing pieces.

To illustrate, consider this simple top-down view drawing. Blue represents the center point of the awning, the black is the 12x12 (or whatever size frame). The red is the horizontal bracing I mentioned and the center support goes UP from where the two red pieces intersect.

The other cheap, crappy (again in IMHO) one will have the center point of the canvas supported by the green pieces, coming in diagonally from each corner.

HTH..... The ones with the green pieces INSTEAD of the red sections will fold up like a cheap suit in even the slightest breeze.

Boowho??
Attached Images

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #13

Totally agree, Boo. We bought an EZ Up brand. Heavy duty with a canvass roller bag to carry it in. This thing weighs a lot. We used it at baseball tournaments when my son was playing. Many people had these and you could see the difference in quality, especially when it rained or the wind began to blow. Definitely worth the extra bucks for something substantial.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
2014 360 QL

I have the same problem but iam thinking about having a awing installed on the slide out,,,, that should work
po 185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #15

I looked into that but was told by my dealer that the slide would not support the weight if the awning. The new units must be engineered to support the weight.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Totally agree, Boo. We bought an EZ Up brand. Heavy duty with a canvass roller bag to carry it in.
I got an EZ UP also. It is very sturdy.
I was going to get a cheaper one, but fortunately the guy at the sporting goods store talked me into the better one.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #17

We spend some time on the coast in LA. When we do we buy the el cheapo ones at Wallyworld for use when on the beach.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 06-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Totally agree, Boo. We bought an EZ Up brand. Heavy duty with a canvass roller bag to carry it in. This thing weighs a lot. We used it at baseball tournaments when my son was playing. Many people had these and you could see the difference in quality, especially when it rained or the wind began to blow. Definitely worth the extra bucks for something substantial.
Yeah..... I just noticed in my drawing that the one with the green diagonal supports, should not show the blue circle in the center; those have no center pole.

I'm looking for one of the "good" ones myself right now. Do you have a source??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Yeah..... I just noticed in my drawing that the one with the green diagonal supports, should not show the blue circle in the center; those have no center pole.

I'm looking for one of the "good" ones myself right now. Do you have a source??

Boowho??
There are quite few of them listed on google. I think that I have the pyramid ll (in the coach this week on vacation). The company is EZ Up. I don't remember where I got mine from. The only thing is, the design is like the one that you have listed as bad. Had great luck with ours, though.

Tags
awning