Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #21

The Jeep is certainly lighter than the SRX so I don't think we will have any problems. I have never towed a dingy before so I am probably asking a lot of dumb questions. First motorhome, first time with a dingy all that nervous tension etc.. Looking forward to Perry Ga. First FMCA rally too! Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #22

You won't even know it's back there!! Watch it in your camera and when you pass people look in the camera and it will help to make sure your clear of the vehicle you're passing. Remember though you can not back up with your jeep attached so plan accordingly when you pull into gas stations or other areas so you don't get put in a bind. If you do you'll have to disconnect the jeep and then back up then reconnect. I only use truck stops to fill up so I don't have this issue and try and find restaurants in a strip mall area so I can park and pull straight out. I'm active duty in the Navy and fly on the MH-53E Helicopter and I always tell my guys, the only stupid question is a question that wasn't asked... LOL!!!! Ask away and there are plenty of people on here that have either experienced what your asking or know someone who has. Lots of great people on here always willing to help.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #23

Btw, if your 13 did not come with the upgraded suspension, bags, tires and GVWR and you are over weight, talk to forest river about getting the upgrade. There are a few threads on here about that issue and forest river fixing it at no cost!! All the 14's and newer already came with the upgrades....
Old 03-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #24

Thanks for the tips. How do I find out if my rig has the HD stuff? I will certainly check the forum. Lots of great people with priceless info.
I used to tell my students the same thing about unasked questions. I flew King Airs and Citations for a charter company after running a flight school for 15 years. Thank you for your service Jason. Hope to meet you soon. Frank
Old 03-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #25

Be super aware of the fact you are in a 40' rig towing another 12+' .... That makes for a very long rig especially making those right hand turned.... Go a little further into the intersection before making that turn...

Don't do like a buddy of mine with his first coach towing a jeep - took out a stop sign and swiped a telephone pole with his jeep after climbing curb with right rear wheels of coach on a right hand turn....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Frank,

What size engine do you have? A 40 or 60? Also what size tires, 255 or 275? Also do you have a ceramic floor in you rig?

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #27

I will remember that on RH turns Earnest. We have the 40, 255"s and Ceramic floors.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #28

Your stickers in the storage compartments above the drivers seat will tell all. Upgraded GVWR should be 29500 vice 27910, GCWR should be 33000 vice 32910 axle weights increased also and tire size went up to 275/80R 22.5. Mainly if your tire size is not the above one, it does not have the upgrade. I believe they started the upgraded chassis from freight liner in 2014 because that was one of the main reasons I waited to order my
Coach. My dealer gave me a list of the upgrades and I was sold!! There were actually quite a few changes between the 13 390's and 14 390's and even more for the 14 400's....

Jason
Old 03-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #29
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Frank,

As Jason indicates, I wouldn't believe you have an upgrade. The yellow sticker on the door will give you how much weight you can carry. If that is a low number, you could have an issue. The only way to really know if you have a weight issue is to get it weighed.

Craig

Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #30

I will try and get that done at the rally next week. There are so many seminars I want to attend it's starting to get crazy. The first and foremost being the safe driver seminar, Cummins generator maint, and weighing the rig for starters. Oh and the wife wants to take one of the tours. Holy Crap Batman! LOL
Old 03-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #31

No upgrades. Bummer. Time to send Randy an E-mail. Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #32

Frank you will need to weigh your rig. There are a lot like ,as in most that don't need to be "upgraded". If your weight is good then don't worry about it. Most of the issues have been in the RB model although others have also had the problem. The big thing is weigh it then you will know. I again will encourage anyone when looking at a RV of any kind. WEIGH it BEFORE you sigh.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #33

That's good to know Phil. We have the 390FL and we are pretty good about packing so I don't anticipate a problem but you never know. Does it cost to get your rig weighed at the rally? Frank
Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #34

It did in Indy which was also a FMCA event. They did a 4point weigh and a class. It was worth it. Good luck.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #35
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Ernest,

Did you get your rig back yet?

Craig

Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #36

YES !!!!! Have an ugly white water heater door but it works.... Yea!!!!

Got to checking everything and discovered that after freezing temps. My water pump wouldn't work... Ended up taking it apart, reseating all gaskets, put it back together and it works... Yes !!!

Packed most of stuff but still have more to go.... As it stands , we are hitting the road early Friday headed East....

So it looks like I'll see all you guys this weekend... I'll be at the holding area Saturday afternoon... Look for the Berk with the ugly white water heater door ....
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #37

How many Berkshire motorhomes will be in Perry. We arrive Sunday afternoon and will be in the Electric section. See you all there and travel safe.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #38

We opted out of electricity this trip.... Decided to practice our dry-camping skills....
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #39

We talked about trying dry camping but decided we are not ready to "pull the plug" yet. Need to try at sometime short dry camping maybe at a Walmart or Flying J. See you there
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #40

Superchief...

All packed up ready to head out in the AM.... Will make Meridian, MS tomorrow night then Perry mid-afternoon Saturday.... Looking forward to seeing everyone there....