Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #1

Berk rock guard

Anyone have a oem Forrest river berk rock/mud guard for sale? I don't wanta pay 400$.
Motodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Wow, is that how much they cost?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Saw that mine was hanging a little low so went under to take a link out to raise it higher. It was hanging with open links. Don't know why I didn't loose it, glad I didn't after seeing the cost of them. On second thought though I don't see anything on these coaches that comes cheap.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Yes. 400$. Guess I'll have to get after market one. We bought ours used and they didn't give it up. Lol
Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #5

Is this the one you saw new for sale?
Rockguard - Forest River
Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

Berk rock guard

Yes. I'd pay 200. Lol
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #7

Be aware that the so called rock guard can possibly create more rock damage to your toad then without it. Because of dips in the road and the great overhang of the rear-end, the rock guard will scrape the road. Without the guard, there may be a pebble laying on the ground and the RV simply rolls over it. However if whacked at 60 mph by the guard, it takes off, bounces and may hit your toad's windshield.

With my as delivered rock guard, I would always find gravel laying in the gutter of my toad's windshield (by the wipers). I kept cutting off the rock guards bottom rubber and even had to raise the metal FR logo, until the gravel stopped.

Another problem with the guard is going up an incline like a driveway where the RV's rear end presses the guard into the ground and the guard mashes into the exhaust pipe. This also can happen when the air is let out of the air bags when deploying the jacks. This often happens when backing into a camp site with the back end hanging over a ground incline, rocks or even a railroad tie. Believe me, I been there - LOL
Old 09-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Be aware that the so called rock guard can possibly create more rock damage to your toad then without it. Because of dips in the road and the great overhang of the rear-end, the rock guard will scrape the road. Without the guard, there may be a pebble laying on the ground and the RV simply rolls over it. However if whacked at 60 mph by the guard, it takes off, bounces and may hit your toad's windshield.

With my as delivered rock guard, I would always find gravel laying in the gutter of my toad's windshield (by the wipers). I kept cutting off the rock guards bottom rubber and even had to raise the metal FR logo, until the gravel stopped.

Another problem with the guard is going up an incline like a driveway where the RV's rear end presses the guard into the ground and the guard mashes into the exhaust pipe. This also can happen when the air is let out of the air bags when deploying the jacks. This often happens when backing into a camp site with the back end hanging over a ground incline, rocks or even a railroad tie. Believe me, I been there - LOL

I agree, must keep an eye on rock guard when on incline drive when backing up and when air bags deflate. I also mangled my tailpipe backing up off my incline drive and the tailpipe acted like a spade digging up the neighbors lawn and locking the gravel guard under the coach. The tailpipe is around a $350 item.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Well thanks guys. You talked me out of one. I mainly haul a enclosed trailer behind mine anyway. Was just trying to protect it. My kids Moto race so we are in pastures every trip. May not be a good idea to have one.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #10

Please don't get me wrong, I still use mine when towing, just cautious...
Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #11

I have never had the rock issue and have towed a toad 30000 miles.

As for dragging, I put stainless steel eyes on my mud flap so when I get to a place that it drags when backing in I can tie it up with a bungy cord to the trailer hitch. Also comes in handy if you have to be towed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mud flap.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	89100  
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

Smart mod there Silver.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #13

X2

Rich
Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #14

One more tip. With your Berk parked, there may look like a lot of clearance between it and the road. You can check if it is scraping the road when traveling by looking at the bottom of the rubber, to see if it is kind of ragged.

Driving over a pebble will generally do no harm, but if it is whacked with the guard, it will start bouncing. - Hank
Old 09-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #15

Silver,
That is exactly the same thing I did with my rock guard. Put in the eye bolts and bungee it up when backing up an incline. Also did the same thing when I had my '08.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Saw that mine was hanging a little low so went under to take a link out to raise it higher.
Where you able to take a link out? I tried it last year and wouldn't work. I went to Lowes and got some bigger links so I only had to use one in place of two.