Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Berk XLT 43B

Hello fellas....New to the forum. I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Berkshire XLT 43B. Any positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated. The Birk has the Truma AquaGo as well as the LP furnace. I would prefer the Oasis system but it isn't offered. Does this Truma system burn a lot of LP? As I understand the system, it is LP only with no electric heating option. Is this RV a true 4 Season Diesel Pusher? I test drove the rig in 15 degree weather. I was pleased with the cold start functions, performance, and visibility. However, I never did get the house portion of the RV to warm up. The explanation given to me was the XLT is designed to warm up utilizing the heated floor, heat pumps and furnace. We use our RV year round so I need it to be able to warm up for us during our chilly winter time walmart overnights. Does anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance...
HerkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

My buddy suggested this forum for solid advice. Does anybody currently own a Berkshire XLT? I have questions for ya....
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

Just my 2 cents worth, don't think any Motor Home is really a 4 season. If you look at a lot of forums you will find heating issues in winter and cooling issues in hot summers. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

I completely agree no RV can withstand every element thrown at it. We regularly stop at Walmart for a quick overnight. If I do this in November or March and the outside temp is 25 degrees can I get the Berk warm enough to be comfy for sleeping or is it going to remain an ice box? Can I run the furnace while driving down the highway to help keep the inside comfortable for the entire family? Conversely, If I need to run the AC will the rig cool down during the summer for a comfy overnight?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkDriver View Post
My buddy suggested this forum for solid advice. Does anybody currently own a Berkshire XLT? I have questions for ya....

I have a 2018 43B XLT. If you have a specific question just PM me and I will try to give you an answer
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

I regularly camp in the winter in the cold.

You can run furnaces / ACs while driving.

When it is cold outside I run both furnaces and a 750 Watt space heater without the need to run generator while driving.

The only time I had an issue of being unable to warm up the coach while driving happened to me when the temperature dropped to 3 below (while driving 65 - 70 mph). At that point I started up generator and ran 2 X 1500 watt space heaters.

It made it bearable inside but my windows started to ice up. 25 degrees is not a problem, as long a your coach is winterized.

As for LP, I try to keep my on-board tank full and also carry 3 X 20 lb tanks. I use them whenever I am parked (overnight or campground). During the winter (below freezing temps) 20 lb tank lasts me about 2-3 days for cooking heating and running furnaces.

I have one 20,000 and one 30,000 (bedroom) BTU units and when I am connected to the outside power I also supplement furnaces with space heaters.

BTW, my wife keeps temp inside @ 70+.

Had no complaints with ACs in the summer but we were never in really hot places either, so can't comment on that